Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #1

RV trashed while in for repairs

May want avoid this place in AZ
https://www.azfamily.com/news/arizon...a760ac84a.html

The response from the RV place: 'So it's our fault that there's (sic) criminals in this world?'
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Homeless peeps found a place to stay.

This is what insurance is for. Repair shop dropped the ball.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The shop is indeed responsible for what happens while the RV is in their care. That's a pretty basic tenet in civil law, even though most repair orders have some fine print about not being responsible. They are obligated to take reasonable precautions to protect your property, especially since they no doubt have rules prohibiting you from being there to do t yourself. But if the RV was actually in a fenced and locked area, that probably constitutes "reasonable care". No negligence on their part if that's the case.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
Commercial Member

If it was in for repairs, the shop has a responsibility to exercise prudent care. Keep it locked and secured. Garage liability policies normally cover this.
If it was in Storage, your insurance covers it. Most storage companies make that abundantly clear in their rental agreement.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

I think a total replacement of the RV is a bit of a strech.

Repairs and hotel costs yes, but a NEW RV ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #6

Sad what happened to you but if in fact it was on a fenced gated lot you have very little recourse. Same thing happened to my in-laws when class a was on secure lot for winter storage. All repair went to their insurance not lot owner.

Sucks be thankful it was not worse

Thanks for all your service and don’t let this change you.

Enjoy your journey
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The shop is indeed responsible for what happens while the RV is in their care. That's a pretty basic tenet in civil law, even though most repair orders have some fine print about not being responsible. They are obligated to take reasonable precautions to protect your property, especially since they no doubt have rules prohibiting you from being there to do t yourself. But if the RV was actually in a fenced and locked area, that probably constitutes "reasonable care". No negligence on their part if that's the case.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You camper gets broken into while at a repair center and you chalk it up to stuff happens. That's different than having someone live in your camper for a period of time. How could the repair place not notice someone living in a camper on their lot?
Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds a bit like when I had dropped off my Jeep for repairs many years ago at a dealer in Denver. The repair as to take two days. When I returned to pick up my vehicle the next day (an hour or so before they said it would be ready) but I was hoping to luck out and get it back early to avoid rush hour traffic.

So when I got there they were using my Jeep to tow other vehicles around their lot! I did not rent them my jeep to use as a tow vehicle. Being upset I demanded to see the owner, who did come talk to me. After a heated discussion they agreed to lifetime oil changes for me as well as lifetime coverage for any transmission problems I might encounter in the future. I actually did have a problem with the transmission about a year later (probably not related to being used as a tow truck) and they fixed it for free as well as gave me a loaner while they had it for the day.

I guess I could not ask for more, but amazing what repair shops will do with your vehicle.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

I read the whole article rather than just the headline. It doesn't read like a bad dealership to me. It reads like a bad customer.

"Affinity said it is offering to clean the camper and replace anything that was ruined. The company said it's talking with its insurance company to find out if it would cover a new camper for the couple."

If that's true, what more can you ask for really? It actually sounds like a stand up company. Yea they dropped the ball on keeping the place secure, but drug addicts are good at getting into places they shouldn't be, and they've offered to clean it and replace anything that was ruined.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

If the owners were non-smokers or have a smoke allergy- asthma for instance and their RV had been smoked in, they have grounds for a replacement.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #12

Maybe it was an employee who had unfettered access to the property.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs