Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
rv travel clubs

I am an owner of a new to me class a motorhome. I am staring to get emails and calls about travel clubs. How do I choose a good fit? So far we have camped in our driveway to get used to the rv. Thought we'd try national parks or a small local campground first. Any suggestions on travel clubs as I have to be careful w/$.

Ruthie197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
In my humble opinion, they don't work for us for several reasons. On the first planned trip with one motorhome three trailers, two pop ups after being on the road for about 2 hrs they wanted to "stop" and have a smoke. Two hours later they wanted to "stop" and stretch. On stop three about an hour later for another smoke, we said we will see you at the first destination.
It didnt work for us. Had it been all MH's that might be different. On the second trip they group wanted to go to a campground "in town" So we could see this was just nor for us. Every group of course is different but being able to do,go and see what, and when you want seemed to fit better.
So ask questions about travel groups you might be interested in then decide.

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've hit 48 states in an RV and have never been in a travel club. We very seldom travel with another RVer.

He who travels alone, travels fastest.

My advice is to stay away from them if you have to pay money to join them.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "travel club". If its a caravan type thing, I would avodi ti. If it's a group that goes camping together, say once a month, I would attend a few as a guest to see if I liked the people. If you mean a discount program such as Passport America or Camp Club or Happy Campers, then "maybe". I uses Passport American because it saves me money, but we travel a lot (5-6 months a year in the motorhome), so its adds up easily. It sounds like you will be occasional campers, so I would not be in a rush to join anything like that.

Last, you will probably be urged to buy a membership in a campground or chain of campgrounds, e.g. Thousand Trails or Outdoor Resorts or...? Again, don't be in a rush and develop your own style of camping. Odds are you won't want one of those at all, but you again you can try them out as a guest of another member if you think it might be of interest. And don't fall for their enticements - you can nearly always buy a re-sale of a membership for much less than the company sells it for. And that tells you something about the value of the membership too.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Since you are new to motor homing, iwould join Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA). You will receive a monthy magazine that has many articles: Technical, travel, and lifestyle. Not sure what area you live in, but FMCA has about 450 chapters across the county. Visit a few to see if you like them and they like you. Camping with those that have the same interests that you do is great. We have belonged to one in Indiana for 14 years and have travelled all over the state for up to six rallys a year and have learned more about our state than we knew before. Plus making a lot of friends. $50-1st year and $40/year thereafter. The discount for tires will more than pay for your membership in a 6 year period.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Hi Julie

My name is Marian and my husband and I would love to hook up with newbies and trade stories and find some good CG's or RV parks to settle in. I'm getting rPeady for surgery on my eyes Wednesday and after a short recovery time(I hope) We can finally get on the road and kiss this place goodbye. Lets keep in touch just in case it's something everbody wasnts to do.
We live East of Sacramento, in the foothills, kinda called the back door into South Lake Tahoe. The only place we've gone to so far is in Morro Bay and the Morro Dunes RV Park. It was really nice and close enough to walk to the beach and shops. Ya might want to try it!
Marian & Gary

garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote