RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
rv trip software

when we were traveling a lot I had a great trip planner . it was Campground Navigator 2011 trailer life directory. I was looking to up grade this to 2018 but it looks like they are not in business anymore. Do you guys have any trip navigators that you use and would you be so kind to share with me. THKS

istumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard is pretty good. Has been my go-to for the past few years. $39 a year is well worth it.

There is a learning curve, though.

BuzzWolfAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

I usually start with google maps. I have a garmin gps and use base camp to tweak my route. Base camp takes some getting used to but now that I have used it for a couple of years I can plan a multi-day trip in about 10 minutes. After developing my route, I load the trip into my garmin and I'm ready to roll.

I use web info, like rvparkreviews.com, to help me select campgrounds. I like google maps because I switch to satellite view and see what a campground layout is or what is around any of the stops I want to make.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used MSN Streets and Trips till they pulled it off the market. Still looking for something as good and easy to use.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I do it myself and use rvparkreviews.com for campsites and then campsitephotos.com to see how the park looks. Often the park name in youtube.com search box will yield videos of the park and drone footage of area too.

Basecamp stinks and the how to videos don't explain how to use it.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #6

Iím old school. I use a map.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I used MSN Streets and Trips till they pulled it off the market. Still looking for something as good and easy to use.
I STILL use my copy of S&T (2013 version) and will continue to use it until it crashes. There is nothing out there that compares - no: I don't want an online solution.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just got the trip wizard today on a 30 day trial. We will see
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I’m old school. I use a map.
What's a "map" ?

We're not able to travel right now because of medical problems but I plan to get the RV Trip Wizard when we get on the road again!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

After creating a trip on Trip Wizard you can have the software display a ring on your route with a user define time or distance. So say 300 miles or 6 hours from where you start a ring will show and you can start looking for campgrounds. Campgrounds also display and there are several filters to have the software display the ones you want.

After inputting your fuel capacity Trip Wizard will show were on your route you will need to refuel. You can download your trip to your GPS or Google Maps. Trip Wizard will also allow you to modify your route, much easier than Garmin's BaseCamp.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:01 AM   #11

I use a combination of google maps, Garmin Basecamp and a Garmin GPS with poi's loaded for low clearances, campgrounds, rest areas, etc. I create the route in google maps, export to Basecamp then load in the gps.

RV Trip Wizard looks good but what happens when you have no cell or internet service?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
I use a combination of google maps, Garmin Basecamp and a Garmin GPS with poi's loaded for low clearances, campgrounds, rest areas, etc. I create the route in google maps, export to Basecamp then load in the gps.

RV Trip Wizard looks good but what happens when you have no cell or internet service?
Generally the way I use Trip Wizard is for planning, so I will have an internet connection. I then download the trip to Garmin's Base Camp and load it into my GPS and Google Maps.

The thing about Trip Wizard is it's a great planning tool, you don't navigate with it. That's why the developers have included a "Send to GPS" function. And because it's a planning tool it allows you to redraw a route to your liking. I use that function a lot because I like to stay off the interstates. Trip Wizard has a routing function to avoid "major highways" and it works well, but sometimes I like to tweak the route and Trip Wizard makes it easy to do that.

One word of caution when using Google Maps, and navigating with it on a cell phone or tablet. The tablet or cell phone will always redraw the route to the parameters set in the cell phone or tablet, which unless you change it is the fastest route.
So if you create a trip/route in Google Maps on your computer and redraw it, the redraw will not show when you try and navigate with it. And it doesn't matter where you create the route, Base Camp for instance, your cell phone using Google Maps will not follow the route you created in Base Camp unless it just happens to be the fastest route in both Base Camp and Google Maps.

If you search this issue you will find many have complained to Google to fix this, but so far they have not done so.

There is a work around for this and that is by creating enough turn points to follow a route you create, but Google Maps will only navigate to the next turn point and then you must reload the map and navigate to the next one, not something you want to do on the fly.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on Garmin Base Camp...it does take some getting used to, but being able to set my route the way I want, then upload it to the Garmin 760 makes our travels much easier.
Then I use Google maps to scout for fuel stops with RV islands for easier in and out. Also, google is nice to view potential campgrounds/RV parks and the adjacent area.
TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #14

I use RV trip wizard for the last few years. Very good program. Small learning curve. Pick a park. Shows the website and satellite if you want. Shows milage between camps. click and rewiews are shown, and can even show when fuel needed. Once trip planned, downloaded or printed in Excel. no need for internet, altho, we travel with a MiFi, so never out of touch. Worth the fee.

Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote