Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

RV units already in an RV Park..........

Hello everyone:
I'm in the process of buying an RVunit already in a park......
Did any of you bought a unit in this particular situation? I was wondering
if there is something that I have to be aware of before signing the dots
line........when one buys a regular home,there is an opption to have an inspector go thru the units,in this particular instance the units go for 2,3,
and 4Ks,it wouldn't pay to have it inspected,would it?
Thanks for the education lessonaraucano.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have the seller demonstrate all the appliances, including the furnace and A/C, fridge, stove and oven, and even the water pump. With the system pressurized by either the water pump or city water, check EVERYWHERE for plumbing leaks. Problems with any of these can be fixed relatively easily, it only takes money.

The biggest potential headache with any older unit would be a leaking roof or around the windows. Check all of the seams on the roof and whatever other areas you have access to that obviously attach to the roof like antennas, around vent pipes, and most have a skylight. Look closely not only at the interior walls for signs of water intrusion, but also open all of the cupboards and anything else you can open, both inside and out. Many RVs will develop a leak at sometime in their useful life, but vigilance and quick repairs can avoid long term problems such as rot and mildew. Long ignored, however, and you're looking at expensive repairs and possible health issues.

Like anything else, some common sense paired with realistic expectations can go a long way.

Good luck!

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=araucano;1583626]Hello everyone:
I'm in the process of buying an RVunit already in a park......
Did any of you bought a unit in this particular situation? I was wondering
if there is something that I have to be aware of before signing the dots
line........when one buys a regular home,there is an opption to have an inspector go thru the units,in this particular instance the units go for 2,3,
and 4Ks,it wouldn't pay to have it inspected,would it?
I have a friend, who just recently purchased a travel trailer, for 5K. He looked it over, thought it would be a good deal, so he paid cash for it. After he got it home, he wanted to re-do the floor, replacing the carpet with wood. So he pulled up the carpet and found wood rot all over. He got an estimate from a local RV shop, which amounted to what he paid for the TT, including the need for a new roof, which was over 3K. So, what I'm saying, is that he could have saved himself a lot of money, if he had hired the same shop expert to inspect it before he bought it. So, to answer your question, yes, it would pay, to have it inspected.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi araucano,
How are you going to use the unit? Leave it where it is? Travel with it? If you are going to travel with the unit, determine how long the RV has been stationary. If it is a year or more, consider checking out the automotive parts of the unit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #5

If there are slide outs make sure they fully operate as well.

A couple years back at my campground there was a couple that sold their fifth wheel on site. It was a nice rig by Thor but they had it on site for many years. Anyways, the new people bought it and kept the site for the next 2 years and at one point there was a flood and the campers had to evacuate until the water dropped... When this fella hooked up, he couldn't close the living room slide out. 2 outa 3 feet went in.

It wasn't a big deal since it was just going down the road to higher ground but it still happened.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Be very careful. Cautious. Wary.
We have been in many parks across the country with F/T sections. They have been all friendly and gracious folks, but....
For many of them, you could not pay me to take them.
Most of the MHs have not been started or moved in years.
MH, TT, 5ers that have never put their slides in. Some have their slides on supports.
I could go on and on.
A few are well-kept gems. But even then I would need to verify everything!
Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition to all systems and appliances, make sure the tires, axles and bearings are in good shape. If it has not been on the road in a while, plan to get the brakes checked, axle bearings repacked and probably new tires before you move it very far.

Ken
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Buying and going to move it and travel in it - look closely at the tires and axle bearings. Make your offer in consideration of what a new set would cost
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

If I planned to hit the road with the unit I was buying, the 1st question I would ask is-----how long has this unit be sitting here? I'd want to test drive it, verify all systems work properly, and on and on! Frankly---If I were going to travel in this unit and it had sat for more than a couple of months, I wouldn't WALK away, I'd RUN away, as fast as I could!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #10

is it a park model? if so it will have no fresh, black or grey water tanks and is designed to stay in on place. if it as not a park model be cautious of the black water tank for
the infamous pyramid.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi araucano,
How are you going to use the unit? Leave it where it is? Travel with it? If you are going to travel with the unit, determine how long the RV has been stationary. If it is a year or more, consider checking out the automotive parts of the unit.
Agree, some of those units have been sitting for years. Check the tires, rubber seals, gaskets, slides and anything else that moves when you travel but sits and rots when you sit still.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote