Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrilynn View Post
Thank you for the idea to have local PD check a new-to-me RV. Was wondering how to make sure I had not purchased an RV used in drug trafficking.

If the police dog “lights up”. What is the next step?

Did you have the RV tested before purchase?
This seems overly paranoid.
If you're really suspicious don't buy.

Even of a dog doesn't alert doesn't mean smuggling hasn't occurred.
And if it does alert it could be from legal cannabis form one of 29 legal states.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
This seems overly paranoid.
If you're really suspicious don't buy.

Even of a dog doesn't alert doesn't mean smuggling hasn't occurred.
And if it does alert it could be from legal cannabis form one of 29 legal states.
Paranoid? You bet. This is a line of grief I just don't need, if I'm buying a used rig with an unknown history.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Paranoid? You bet. This is a line of grief I just don't need, if I'm buying a used rig with an unknown history.
Not paranoid. Just being concerned about avoiding a potential issue. This is now the land of stop and search coupled with guilty until proven innocent. Go for it. Certainly can't hurt.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Not sure a drug sniffing dog gives much history on the vehicle.
There's countless other crimes that could have happened in a pre owned RV.
Maybe you should buy new
Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Not sure a drug sniffing dog gives much history on the vehicle.
There's countless other crimes that could have happened in a pre owned RV.
Maybe you should buy new
I agree. In fact, I'm not planning to buy a used rig. However, if I were, some residual from a previous owner is not something I need to deal with if a friendly LEO and his partner can tell me if I might have a problem further down the road. In buying a used rig, any issue you could eliminate BEFORE you sign on the dotted line is one you don't need to deal with later. I thought Acker1's idea of a drug dog sniff was just outstanding.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not sure how you would get a cop to run his dog in the rig. Maybe get pulled over for speeding and spray patchouli oil in it so it smells like pot?

Probably be more productive to worry about what "natural byproducts" the previous owner left behind.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #63
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Not sure how you would get a cop to run his dog in the rig.
It is quite simple. Contact the local police department (using the non-Emergency number), explain the situation and ask if they might be able to accommodate you.

Personal story: Son was car-jacked years ago. Car was stopped a week later by LEO several states away (we did report it stolen, of course) and was possibly used to transport drugs. Also there was some minor damage to the car. After the insurance company and the body shop finished the repairs, and before I picked it up (car was registered in my name), I called the local PD. They ran the drug dog through the car. This was done at the body shop's parking lot. The dog alerted to some residue inside the trunk.

I never took possession of the car again. I sold it to the dealer (where it had just been repaired) and cut my losses. Otherwise my son probably would have been hassled, and possibly detained/arrested, if he was ever stopped for any reason and they decided to let the K-9 sniff the car. I don't think any amount of explaining would have helped.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
It is quite simple. Contact the local police department (using the non-Emergency number), explain the situation and ask if they might be able to accommodate you.

Personal story: Son was car-jacked years ago. Car was stopped a week later by LEO several states away (we did report it stolen, of course) and was possibly used to transport drugs. Also there was some minor damage to the car. After the insurance company and the body shop finished the repairs, and before I picked it up (car was registered in my name), I called the local PD. They ran the drug dog through the car. This was done at the body shop's parking lot. The dog alerted to some residue inside the trunk.

I never took possession of the car again. I sold it to the dealer (where it had just been repaired) and cut my losses. Otherwise my son probably would have been hassled, and possibly detained/arrested, if he was ever stopped for any reason and they decided to let the K-9 sniff the car. I don't think any amount of explaining would have helped.
A very smart man avoiding problems before they might reach up and bite.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When I was in the military, they recommended having a drug dog go through any used vehicle you bought just to eliminate any potential issues.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
The drug courier profiles change all the time and it's been several years since I went through one of those classes. I'd love to know what they are teaching about RV's now. Profile stops are illegal according to the Supreme Court but they can usually find a "legitimate" excuse to make the stop if they follow long enough. Drug courier profiling is very effective and profitable for the local jurisdiction if done judiciously and correctly. The problems come in when some knucklehead gets too aggressive.
Living in Texas, we go through the immigration check points a lot. There always seems to be a dog sitting there with the border patrol when we pass through. We get less scrutiny in our motor home than we do in our car.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Without getting too deep into detail, when my wife and I were looking for a mh, we stumbled up on a 2008 I think dp for a good price in Atlanta. We contacted the seller and after tons of questions answered to my satisfaction we arranged a meet to inspect the coach. The coach looked good on the outside but when I went inside i knew instantly that something was not right, the stovetop and fridge were like new the dinette was "missing" the couch looked like dogs slept on it the cabinet shelves were removed and the outside bays all smelled of bleach, but were very clean. Nothing like the photos I felt that this rv was a pack mule because the owner said it only traveled between Atl, and W. Palm Beach Fl. I passed.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
My advice is don't store weed or smoke it inside your camper. Dogs have an amazing nose. A drug canine hit could lead to your RV be disassembled by cops on the side of the road. Good luck getting them to pay for any damages. Actually, my best advice is don't mess with weed at all, but that's another discussion.
People have ended up homeless just as easy......busts carried out at ooops, the wrong address, etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	189716

Very crazy read....
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote