Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Hi: I'm brand new to RVs. I haven't even taken my first trip yet and I was wondering about this topic. It's clear that the longer you stay at each location that you go to the better deal the it will be to RV. I was wondering how possible it is to just stop somewhere without a hook up and sleep the night? Will they kick you out of large big box parking lots if you stop to sleep? Is it hard to get a spot at the rest areas with the truckers? Also, if you arrive late at a destination, it might be better to wait until the next day to check in at the campground. That way the first night is free and you maximize your time when you do get a hookup. It seems like the flexibility of my motor home can save a lot on eating expenses and other things things too. For example, boat rentals: I can carry an inflatable boat with a small trolling motor for fishing in the MH storage compartment without even needing to tow a boat. I think its smart to take longer trips and stay extra days to make it worth the gas to get there.
Also, I was looking into joining "Passport America". They offer 50%discountsts on campgrounds throughout the US plus they have a roadside assistance program for about $100/yr if you get the 3 year deal. Does anyone have this and how is it working out for you?
Sure you can park overnight without hook ups at a lot of places. If you have a few days to read about Walmart parking here is the place Walmart's Parking Walmart, Sam's club, Cracker Barrel are just a few places to stay. Just be sure to ask the manager permission.

Flying J truck stops are a good overnight spot and have spaces reserved for RVs but depending on which one and when can be full up. Use caution at rest areas, some are patrolled by the police and some have no overnight parking. Use your instincts with them. If it doesn't feel right, take off.

One problem with just parking and not going to a CG is that if you need to make reservations the CG may charge a fee if you cancel late and rent your site to someone else. If you are just winging it without reservations then sure why pay for a night, set up in the dark and go to sleep.

The boat is a great idea. We carry a 14' Zodiac and a 30hp outboard in our basement storage. It does take up some room but it is nice to have a boat at the locations we frequent. Almost always on the water.

Before joining Passport America check the restrictions for any CG you might plan to stay at. Some are off season only and have time limits. We looked into and would have joined just to get the discount until we read the restrictions. Off season only and half off the in season rate. Another had a five day limit.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357
Hi: I'm brand new to RVs. I haven't even taken my first trip yet and I was wondering about this topic. It's clear that the longer you stay at each location that you go to the better deal the it will be to RV. I was wondering how possible it is to just stop somewhere without a hook up and sleep the night? Will they kick you out of large big box parking lots if you stop to sleep? Is it hard to get a spot at the rest areas with the truckers? Also, if you arrive late at a destination, it might be better to wait until the next day to check in at the campground. That way the first night is free and you maximize your time when you do get a hookup. It seems like the flexibility of my motor home can save a lot on eating expenses and other things things too. For example, boat rentals: I can carry an inflatable boat with a small trolling motor for fishing in the MH storage compartment without even needing to tow a boat. I think its smart to take longer trips and stay extra days to make it worth the gas to get there.
Also, I was looking into joining "Passport America". They offer 50%discountsts on campgrounds throughout the US plus they have a roadside assistance program for about $100/yr if you get the 3 year deal. Does anyone have this and how is it working out for you?
1. If you pull into a campground late at night and check-in the next morning, most campgrounds will expect you to pay for that night.
2. Try Camp Club USA. Yes they have restrictions too. But it is cheap enough to join, and I usually make up for the cost of membership in just 3 nights. So anything I use above and beyond that is a bonus! I use them as my "get to final destination" stops.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Tmsjao! To be clear both groups cost about the same to join: Passport America is $44/yr while Camp Club USA is $50/yr. Passport America has a roadside assistance plan that also includes a regular membership for about $100/yr if you go for the 3 year deal.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #32

Gas costs RV vs car?

Don't care any more. Well, maybe if it hits $20 a gallon. Then will cut out long trips and just do shorter trips with Rv.

When you get old, there is nothing to spend the $ on but health and wellbeing and some pleasure. (Healthy pleasures)

RV's are more pleasurable to travel in than a car and a staying at a motel with bedbugs. I don't eat out, I cook all my own food. So again Rv's are the thing for me. And if not, then leave it all behind for someone else to spend the $ for you.

So I spend on gas and go and do as I please...or I can leave it for someone else to spend for me.

Gas will keep heading up with peak oil hitting. Maybe not one way up - but the long term trend is clear.

...and if we don't burn it the crude oil...China and India will!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #33

got into this same discussion with folks at work bought a class c last year biggest difference for me bought used with enough miles that the engine and trans have been replaced within the last two years.
bought it 1300 miles from the house, dw thought i had lost my mind packed up pulled dolly out hauled car back spend the winter and 3000 dollars bringing up to my comfort level to trust on trips.
so i've got 6000 dollars in a 26 ft mh unless i wreck it it can't depreciate much, took it on a 1200 mile trip on vacation stayed a week figured the cost broke about even for what would have cost to drive car.
and like stated many times my bed ,my food when i wanted to eat and got to take our dog with us, plus the dw's favorite part she can sleep in when i wanted to go.
so i am sold on traveling in my rv and if you are mechanically inclined an older unit will let you enjoy rving just the same as a new one just a butt load cheaper
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #34

Can't imagine what it would have cost just in motels and restaurants on our present adventure. We've been traveling since April twenty-th-something and been to places that do not have a restaurant or a motel. The best thing about the whole thing is, that no matter where we travel...we ARE at home. We are now camping in Port Townsend, WA with a million dollar view of Admiralty Inlet...no bedbugs! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
goldwingerx2
Quote:
I agree but I do not plan on taking our motorhome to Hawaii. he he he
I agree on that one!
Already have my ticket punched for there, my daughter lived out there for 5 years.
Most important thing for me to see while I was there, of course besides my daughter..... was the USS Arizona! Had to see it! Been there and paid my respects.

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote