Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV vs. car

We just got back from our first 12 day trip in our (new to us) RV - Coachmen Freelander 21QB. We stayed in campgrounds, ate out occasionally, went sightseeing etc. I kept track of all our expenses to see what we spent on the RV lifestyle. I then figured out what it would cost driving my car (20 mpg), staying in a modest motel, eating out 2 meals a day -- it turns out even with our RV averaging 10 mpg, taking the same trip with my car would have cost us $700 more. I thought it was interesting because so many people won't go anywhere because of gas mileage differences -----

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't you just love it!
A lot of advantages of staying and traveling in your RV!
I want to step foot in every state of the U.S.before I pass on to better things, and I won't do it any other way but my motorhome!

Regards,
RovinOn

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It is also very nice to know who slept in the bed last night and used the bathroom.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

The only way to travel. It's another home...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Glad your first trip was a good one. We use our RV a couple of times a month for weekenders and I much prefer using the RV for travel for a number of reasons but cost savings is not one of them. I've never been able to cost justify my rv's but I have had good times in them. If I add up all the costs and then subtract the actual cost of the RV, insurance and maintenance, then perhaps the RV vacations are cost effective.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
paz

Cost savings of a trip in your RV: $700
Sleeping in your own bed: Priceless
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #7

I hate sleeping on a pillow that someone else drooled on last night.

Ken
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #8

Always good to read threads like this! Nothing like others agreeing with your own thoughts! Besides having your own bed and bathroom, there's nothing like sitting next to the fire watching the lake and then simply walking in and taking a shower and kicking back for a movie! But maybe that's just me.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I hate sleeping on a pillow that someone else drooled on last night.

Ken
You would have to go and say that, wouldn't you.

Before she passed away, our favorite place to stay in Louisville while visiting my sister there was the Embassy Suites, Louisville East. My wife watched the (non)cleaning lady go over the room. The worst of it was that she use a towel that we had used and tossed on the bathroom floor to wipe down the bathroom, then she use the same towel to "wipe out" the glasses on the bar before she put a fresh paper cover on them. DW asked if they took them downstairs to be properly washed and sanitized and was told "no, they wipe them out". Can't help but wonder how many people had used those "wiped out" glasses since they were put into service. We bought the MH not long after that.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Went camping this past weekend and the wife of another friend camping along side of us in their own RV asked me if I wanted to hit the outlet stores. Believe it or not, I said no...I preferred to sit in my favorite recliner chair, under my awning, and read a good book... Sure, with the cost of our new-to-us luxury coach, the gas costs, and sometimes a high-priced campsite, we could probably take a few very nice resort hotel type getaways...but that oh-so-peaceful feeling of sitting under your own awning next to a sparkling stream, and then getting in your familiar bed...well that is priceless to me.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Happy to hear you enjoyed your trip. You just can't beat sitting by the fire at night or even on a chilly morning with your coffee, still in your pj's if you feel like it. And knowing there are no bed bugs in my bed is extremely comforting. But I think the best part is we have our dog and cat with us wherever we go. Doesn't get much better than that!
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of the costs of the trip depend on where you go. A couple of years ago, DW and I did an 18 day trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. With everything, that trip cost us about $1,800. Keep in mind that Yellowstone is a 3 day driving distance from us each way. In that time, we ate out one meal.

Last week, we took our granddaughter to visit San Antonio, which included a trip to Sea World. With everything, that trip cost $800 or nearly half of what we spent on Yellowstone. San Antonio was 3 days and is only 5 hours drive away.. I readily admit that part of that cost ($150) was Sea World admission but the RV park there was more expensive per night than Fishing Bridge at Yellowstone had been. Because of granddaughter, we ate out more, too.

We've generally found that the cost of fuel over the course of a trip is more than offset by not having to pay hotels. While there are some Motel 6 options, we prefer a higher tier type and those can come with a heavy per night cost. When you factor in having to eat out all the time, the hotel/food combination is pretty heavy. Only if you figure in the depreciation on the RV does the real cost structure swing in favor of the hotels. Using the normal business deduction curve on our RV, it would have been zero by now so I no longer even think about including it.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Cost savings of a trip in your RV: $700
Sleeping in your own bed: Priceless
Well said Paz
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club