Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Wash - Steam Vapor Jet

A local mobile RV wash uses steam vapor jets to wash the RV instead of a pressure washer and I'm trying to decide if I want to use them or not. I'm wondering if this is a safe option for the clearcoat since this uses very little water and I don't want the dirt scratching my clearcoat? Anyone have any experience with this cleaning option?
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like it would be great for the undercarriage and the visible part of the engine, I can see that it would probably cut road grease on the body better that cold water and soap, but I have to know more about how much pressure and the actual temperature at the point that it hits the RV.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Pressure? Live steam, under pressure, could play the dickens with a lot of things on any vehicle. FBP might fare a little better than plain filon. Would great to clean the radiator and any oil leaks.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Decals might be at risk, as anything held on with glue. Sure like to have my drivetrain and undercarriage done though. Wonder if I can rent one?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
A local mobile RV wash uses steam vapor jets . .
Since RVs are for the most part glued together; and even normal summer heat in some parts of the country is enough to cause delamination, I wouldn't tempt fate by submitting my rig to a high-heat wash; and if you happen to have a Winnibego, they start to become unglued from the very first rain shower.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

Been washing the RV the old fashion way and it still works. Takes a little effort but I am pretty sure I would never let anyone "steam" clean the clear coat/
Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Steam wash will affect the clear coat after several times. If you do not have a clear coat but have a wax coat, your finish will be dull and it will take a few wax applications to get the shine back.
evesely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Been washing the RV the old fashion way and it still works. Takes a little effort but I am pretty sure I would never let anyone "steam" clean the clear coat/
X2 and I get alot of pleasure doing it also. I get all sorts of help from people walking by asking if I am washing & waxing it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	43031  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #9

I can see the value of warm water washing, but I'm not letting anybody come near my precious paint job with live steam. The old fashioned soapy bucket of warm water, soft mop on long handle, then gentle spray rinse from tap water ... has been working great for my wife.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #10

Hey guys not to be a dork but it's gel coat, not clear coat. I agree with all that I would not use hot steam either. Put my vote in for the good old mop or soft brush with a long handle with a garden hose. Takes me 1 hour to wash and dry my 35ft. A. Never leave the driveway dirty, unless of course its raining.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for you input. I decided to do it the old fashion way with the bucket, soft brush, and hose.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Can you tell me what wash products you like best for the body and how about the roof?
JW brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW brick View Post
Can you tell me what wash products you like best for the body and how about the roof?
It depends upon what you are washing. For my old relic with dull filon sides, black streaks, white streaks, etc. a strong solutions of Tide laundry detergent is the most effective.

But I don't think I would use that on a new Newmar rig with gel coat, clear coat exterior.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #14

I like to wash my old rig with 25% bleach and water with a little dish soap so I can see where I am. The bleach leaves a nice sheen on my rig makes it look like it is waxed. I been using such a mixture on my house for years....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote