Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #1

RV Water softeners

I am looking at the Travelsoft or On-The-Go water softeners. Can someone tell me if one is recommended over the other, pros and cons of both and any other information you might have. Thank you for all your help in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have one that is similar to the On The Go softener but was cheaper at $240 with free shipping.

You can see the FloPur Mark 8000 here. Flow Pur: Mark 8000

It works well. The water in the RV park in AZ where we spend most of the winter has a hardness of 50 GPG (grains per gallon) and the softener drops it to about 2 GPG. Since it is so hard I have to regenerate the unit about every ten days.
Here in CO where we are now I only need to regenerate it once a month.

It sure reduces scale build up in fixtures and toilet flush water outlet.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We used to have a Travelsoft and now have the same one Clay has, the Mark 8000.

While both soften the water, I MUCH prefer the Mark 8000 because: 1) It's easier to refill when recharging time comes, and 2) It takes regular table salt rather than the solar or rock salt (which is hard to find sometimes) that the Travelsoft uses.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a SoftCell, which I really like.

I had an On-the-Go, but the screw top seal gave out and exploded out all the guts.

I am very happy with the SoftCell. I would recommend at least checking them out.
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

We have an On-The-Go that was purchased about 3 years ago. Its used full time in the winter and about half time in the summer. No problems so far, keeps whatever hair I have left baby-soft.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #6

You might want to look into installing an RO system instead. They cost more but less trouble in the long run. I only use water from the fresh water tank that has been processed through the RO system.

Jim
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #7

A reverse osmosis (RO) system is not a whole house system. It is used mostly at the kitchen sink, with an extra little faucet, for drinking and cooking water. If you boondock, know that it uses 3 gallons of water to give you one of pure water. I used to install and service them. For whole house use a softner. Instead of salt (sodium chloride) there is a salt that is potassium chloride. It is not much more expensive than sodium chloride but sometimes not easy to find. The hardness in water is calcium and magnesium. The sodium in the salt replaces these in the water. To cut your sodium intake and increase your potassium intake use the potassium chloride. Most of us need less sodiun and more potassium.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Ralper,

An RO system with a booster pump will produce more usable water than waste. My RO water goes into my holding tank and i use that for my domestic water supply. It is not just for drinking water at the kitchen sink. Apparently, the systems you installed did not use a high pressure booster pump.

Jim
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #9

Anyone had any experience with the Watersticks portable water softener?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #10

I installed a RO system which fills my fresh water holding tank. All water we use in the coach is treated. Great for showers,clothes washing, cooking and drinking.
run2 is offline   Reply With Quote