Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

RV winter covers and paint damage...your experiences

Hey folks. First off, let me say that I know the "To cover or not to cover?" question has been asked umpteeth times, so this isn't one of those questions. I've ready many threads over the last few years, but the bulk of the information comes down to people complaining that covering is too much hassle, it's too hard to do alone, or that the covers dont last. I'm not concerned about those things. Very few full body paint owners chime in with the lasting effects on their coach.

I live in Canada, where typically our RVs sit outside in snow, wind and ice / water from November to May. They're Subject to the Sun's UV rays as well. I want to know how many of you have used covers that feel it saved your coaches finish...and how many of you used them, and feel your coach's paint was worse off because of them (paint scuffing etc). Thanks

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Next time you drive by a General aviation airport, take note as to how many have covers..

This is a topic that gets kicked around a lot with new aircraft owners, and the recommendation is always the same. don't use one unless you can tie it down and do occasion inspections to make sure it hasn't ripped or come loose.

Covers are great inside a hangar where they can protect the plane from bird do-do, dust, and the occasional curious looker who want to climb on the plane to look in side.

But outside, covers are usually more destructive and cause more damage than they prevent.

They trap water, sand, and dirt, then when the cover gets loose or tears, they flop in the breeze cover and the cover is transformed into #30 grit sandpaper

Old 09-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

When I used a cover there was a bit of paint abrasion at the corners. Overall, I believe that the cover did much more good than harm. Be sure that the RV and the cover are clean and then add protection at corners and sharp edges. I used self-sticking insulation foam, removing just enough paper to keep it firmly in place. When uncovering, the foam will leave some sticky residue that can be removed with WD40.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
4- years using an adco cover, on all winter, no scuffs, no problems at all, well,except for getting the snow blower exhaust too close to the cover. Warning.. the cover melts fast!!!!!!! makes nice big long holes in the cover. Yup, that won't happen again,especially with my BRAND SPANKIN NEW COVER!! I always install the cover so that air circulates under the motorhome, and keep snow 4 ft away for access and air circulation. Just point the exhaust away from the MH and watch out for the cinch straps as I would imagine the snow blower would would eat them up and spit them out , has not happened to me yet, and hope it doesn't, seeing the covers are so cheap and all. The covers last about 3 years if you treat them good, pia to put on but I would not go a winter in NE without one.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
4- years using an adco cover, on all winter, no scuffs, no problems at all, well,except for getting the snow blower exhaust too close to the cover. Warning.. the cover melts fast!!!!!!! makes nice big long holes in the cover. Yup, that won't happen again,especially with my BRAND SPANKIN NEW COVER!! I always install the cover so that air circulates under the motorhome, and keep snow 4 ft away for access and air circulation. Just point the exhaust away from the MH and watch out for the cinch straps as I would imagine the snow blower would would eat them up and spit them out , has not happened to me yet, and hope it doesn't, seeing the covers are so cheap and all. The covers last about 3 years if you treat them good, pia to put on but I would not go a winter in NE without one.
I second the ADCO cover, heavy rains here in Florida, removed yesterday and no "cover marks."
Old 09-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #6

I have a full body paint motorhome and I use an ADCO cover. I pad the sharp stuff and put the cover on and off by myself and take my time. I bought a heavy thread and ADCO patches and sew the holes that may appear, as the appear.

The slide covers and the large awning I found to be the biggest rippers.

This will be my fourth year on my cover. I have never found an abrasive mark yet and I live in the Midwest.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I live in Oklahoma....where the wind comes sweeping down,the plain....truly. I could only get two seasons out of a cover. After the first year, you had quite a few repair places to fix. Bought 2 Adco covers over 4 years.

Our coach did not have full body paint. The cap corners and edges were "buffed" bright from the cover buffing in the winds. As were the vent covers, the windshield wiper arms, and mirrors, the ladder bars. Basically, any surface that the cover rubbed on. And my covers were tied down tight. Fact I learned to take extra nylon rope, and tie the whole thing like a Christmas package, to help secure it.

Today, we rent an enclosed storage space.

Tags
paint, winter