Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stan that is not the first incident against rvers in Mexico, there was another earlier this year. Dont remember where or when I saw it on one of my Los Angeles news channel. They also talk about mexicans all along the border attacking americans on both sides of the border for their vehicles and such. Saw that a couple months ago on Arizona News Channel. Having traveled both sides of the border in my younger days I would not go back to Mexico for any price. I can see the same in the back areas of Los Angeles and probably feel safer.

MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #16

We recently RV’ed from Brownsville to El Paso along the border and always kept to the North side for these same reasons. I had my 12 gauge and 380 Auto handy to scare away any intruders.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #17

Gee, if I have offended anyone with my posts, your welcome to come over and talk about it over a beer, that is if you don't get robbed, raped, and held up by the cops, in the 950 miles you will have to travel south of Nogales to get here.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #18

Stan, I agree the news media sensationalize every news event to maximize their viewing ratings. I only hear what they say and show on TV.
I would really like to read first-hand diaries on living and traveling in Mexico. It is rich in history and old world traditions. We have considered wintering in Mexico, but the news media have scared us away.
I began this thread with what I watched on ABC world news, reported as though it happened very recently. I'm beginning to think news reporters and salesmen should be classified together.

ADDENDUM: I do know a couple that hit a cow in extreme Southern Mexico with their Chevy class C. The RV was un-drivable, police were summoned, man arrested and taken to station, wife left with RV. She finally got the RV towed to a repair shop, where a 59 chevy radiator was installed, headlights from an unknow source installed, no grill available. The man (born in British Hounduras) listened to the two arresting officers discuss how much money they could get from him. When the police chief arrived the man addressed him in Spanish, to the amazement of the officers. To shorten this account, over three thousand american dollars lighter, the couple proceeded to Brownsville, where they had the MH properly repaired (another three thousand).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #19

Mexico is a great place to spend a winter or even retire. The cost of living is low (hear that all who have lost money in the recession) The best beaches, the best weather and the friendliest people. What else can the news people and their advertisers do but bad mouth Mexico since they have nothing better to offer.
As far as the auto accident problem...did not they call their insurance adjuster?? That is a story of someone completely doing the wrong thing. Wouldnīt you call your insurance guy if you were in the US?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #20

Ray, I don't know if I can post about other forums on here, but over on RVnet/GoodSam/Campingworld forum there is a section on Mexico travel, and David Eidell has extensive articles on RVers online about Mexico travel. There are also places where you can find out about less expensive caravans, www.ontheroadin.com and www.rollinghomes.com by Mike and Terri Church is another good info spot. We were a little leery our first year and hooked up with a caravan to the La Peņita RV park. We are sitting here on our patio in 80 degree weather, watching the weather up in , Seattle off my golfing buddies Starchoice sattelite dish, thinking how lucky we are. I've come to the conclusion that there are always risks in life, but there are also rewards, so might as well live it to the fullest. Regards, Stan
Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #21

A lot of nonsense in this thread. That incident took place in Baja over a year ago. They were parked in a deserted area. BTW : They walked back to the border and US customs would not let them use their bathrooms!! All of the stories in this thread are heresay. My friend, my buddy, etc. No first hand incidents. There have been no attacks on RV'rs in Mexico. AS for the story about paying the cops $3000 . This is bunk!! BTW : The law about hitting animals changed in Mexico many years ago. If a farmer's animals are on the road and there is an accident, he is at fault. Most of the crime you hear about in Mexico is between drug cartels. If you dont sell or use drugs there is no problem. Those kids with bullets and Hash deserve to be in jail. I guarantee there is more to that story than was reported.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #22

You are probably right about the law changing, that incident happened in the mid-80's. And I said nothing about giving the cops $3k.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #23

Ray,IN

"To shorten this account, over three thousand american dollars lighter, the couple proceeded to Brownsville, where they had the MH properly repaired (another three thousand)."

3 grand in 1985 is a lot of moola. Why would you post a story that is 23 years old? What does that have to do with today? 23 years ago Sherrif Bubba in the South arrested people for having bad skin!! But does that represent the South today. (I hope not). My point is that your story has nothing to do with this discussion.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
News reports that are 20 years old probably don't have any bearing in today's world,
but I remain concerned about camping or driving within at least 100 miles of the border.

I have lived here on the border for 50 years, camping south of it many, many times.
There IS a problem of violence down there right now and it cannot be attributed to the American news reporting.
I think it would be wrong to bring a child with you thru that portion of the country.

The countryside is beautiful. The people are great. The food is my favorite. The serenity of the vistas is 2nd to none. I love the country.
The violence is unpredictable and growing.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Johnny, you're not taking any firearms or ammo into Mexico are you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not taking MYSELF into Mexico...if I have this odd desire to get myself killed in a gang war, I have Dorchester, Mattapan, and Roxbury much closer than Mexico.

1984 Ford B-700/ThomasBuilt bus conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Well after reading all the posts, I just had to give my two cents worth.
Having lived all my life in south Texas (except for my 10 years of military) I can tell you that I have been to Mexico more than once and have experinced the hospitality of a mexican jail (many, many years ago). All of you together do not have enough money to get me to go there now. Things have changed. And yes the drug cartels are who are doing the shooting and killings, but they don't care if you are a innocent bystander or passer by---tough!

If someone thinks they are safe---go for it--but it won't be me.

There are alot of things that happen that the media doesn't report.

I have alot of mexican friends who live on the border and used to take us across to shop and eat---no longer. Some have relatives who live across the border and will not visit them, they have to come to the US side to see them.

Just my opinion.

John
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #27

These posts on various forums about Mexico continue to amaze. A while back someone posted that Mexican soldiers had fired across the border at the US. They failed to mention that the story was from 1917!! I have been traveling in all kinds of different RV type vehicles in Mexico since 1971. I have never experienced or seen or heard of one of these incidents reported on these forums. People who have problems in Mexico are the people who do stupid things like camping on deserted beaches or going into known bad areas - or not having Mexican liability insurance on there vehicles which includes full Mexican legal aid. There have been crimes committed in US National Parks that compare to the crimes reported in some of these posts. We would not camp out on deserted beaches in the US either. There are many areas of the US we all know we should not go. The murder rate in many US cities is higher than in Mexico. One news report said there were 7 murders in Mexico one weekend - that same weekend there were 11 murders in the Los Angeles area. We do not ever go near the border cities where crime is known to exist - anymore than we would go to Harlem or other notorious areas of most US cities. Most of the killing in Mexico is between the drug cartels and law enforcement people. There have certainly been other crimes but no worse than in the US. Yes, there is a drug war going on in Mexico. If you pay attention you will know that it takes place in certain areas of the country. Don't get me wrong - I don't mind at all that so many of you are afraid - there are few enough spaces in the RV parks as it is now - if there was less fear in the US it would be impossible for us to find a space in an RV park in Mexico - most are full now. We think life is an adventure. Adventure always carries risk. Or you can dig a hole in the ground and hide out in your bomb shelter and experience nothing of what life has to offer. I refuse to live in fear. America - Land of the Free and Home of the BRAVE???
Old 12-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Land of the Free and Home of the BRAVE??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet it is!!!