Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #15

Hey Ken....we have lived in Cabo San Lucas since 1999 and have travelled up/down the Baja many times and also taken the ferry from La Paz to the mainland and travelled up/down. We used to spend quite a bit of time & energy trying to explain/convince people of the safety in the Baja. For some people they prefer to live in perpetual fear of everything and it is pointless trying to convince them otherwise. So......at the end of the day.....you can go and enjoy the Baja, the beaches, the food, the atmosphere and the people....take reasonable precautions ....or you can stay home!

If you have any specific questions you can PM me.

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #16

If I have a problem in the USA I call a cop. I used to tell my kids when they learned to drive, if they had a problem and felt unsafe, just drive right into the police station driveway. My last trip to Mexico, a few years ago, we understood that some police were good, some not so good. Now, there are threads on how to handle requests for a bribe. Sadly, I probably will never get to return to some of the lovely spots I used to frequent.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
If I have a problem in the USA I call a cop. I used to tell my kids when they learned to drive, if they had a problem and felt unsafe, just drive right into the police station driveway. My last trip to Mexico, a few years ago, we understood that some police were good, some not so good. Now, there are threads on how to handle requests for a bribe. Sadly, I probably will never get to return to some of the lovely spots I used to frequent.
When seconds count a cop is many minutes away even in the US (if they show up at all).
It's probably about as safe as Detroit, Chicago or NewYork city.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn.Mike View Post
I checked out the RV site that was listed by one of the posters. Wow, for $520 per month I could stay in Florida and still have money left over.
I thought things were cheaper South of the border?

Mike
Maybe so, but you'd be staying in Florida. We like San Carlos because it's quiet and not crowded. We can go to a nice beach during the week and not see people for hours.

You can probably find cheaper places if money is your prime consideration but Totonaka is a nice park across the road from the Sea of Cortez. Safe, Clean and Friendly.

As far as prices, most things ARE cheaper there, especially labor. We get our rig washed and waxed in the park for $ 60. Diesel was .80 a liter, fresh fruits and produce is less expensive, you can buy excellent fresh shrimp, crab, fish from vendors in the park at prices unheard of in the US.

We're certainly not wealthy but we don't choose places to go just because they're cheap. If money was our concern we wouldn't own a motor home.

By the way, the beaches in Mexico are public domain and there are places where you can dry camp for free if that's your thing
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Yes, "the bite" seems to still be a part of Mexican culture although it is discouraged. I for one would rather pay my $ 10 or $ 20 "fine" on the spot and be done with it. I've never been stopped when I was doing nothing wrong. In the one instance I experienced I was in the wrong and felt fortunate to get off so easily.

When you travel in different countries you either accept their ways or stay home.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
When you travel in different countries you either accept their ways or stay home.
Problem is so many of their "ways" are illegal or immoral....so I will stay home.

Ken
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #21

Are there any issues with those of us who require the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel? Is it readily available in most places in Mexico?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #22

I think the common thread to all the posts is that you take your chances, especially in a foreign country that is under siege with a drug war. "If" you get into a bind down there, you're pretty much on your own. I guess I just follow the old adage of not putting myself or my family in a "pinch point." Years ago we would vacation annually in Cozumel. Since things became a bit more unruly, we do not go down there anymore. The tipping point for us when when the cartel decided to start sending a message by killing Judges and Police Chiefs. I don't visit Detroit, Chicago, or Miami for the same reasons. There's enough to see and do here in states that I don't have to travel to to third world country for a vacation.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #23

Don't you have to get okay from your insurance company to travel outside of us?.......or is your coverage in the states good enough.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar
Don't you have to get okay from your insurance company to travel outside of us?.......or is your coverage in the states good enough.
Your US auto insurance in NOT valid in Mexico....you do need to purchase Mexican auto insurance....it is very inexpensive. Unless you stay in the Baja you will also need to temporarily import your vehicle ...this is also very easy, but you will also need the Mex. auto insurance for this purpose.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman
Are there any issues with those of us who require the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel? Is it readily available in most places in Mexico?
This is very much an issue for travel in Mexico and until the ULSD becomes much more readily available, it is the single biggest restriction for RV travellers in Mexico.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Your US auto insurance in NOT valid in Mexico....you do need to purchase Mexican auto insurance....it is very inexpensive. Unless you stay in the Baja you will also need to temporarily import your vehicle ...this is also very easy, but you will also need the Mex. auto insurance for this purpose.
A temporary import permit for a motor home is $ 45 and is available at entry to Mexico

Mexican insurance for my Dutch Star is $ 525 for 6 months.
You can likely suspend your American policy while covered in Mexico but you need to check with your insurance company.

I'm told ULSD is now readily available in most PEMEX stations in northern Mexico but I can't state for certainty as my coach doesn't require it
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #27

Thanks for the warning...we were going to Palm Beach this year but will avoid it until it is safe. Keep us posted.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
This State Dept site Mexico gives information on the state of the drug war as of February 2012. It'll scare the beheezus out of you, but most of the tourist areas appear safe.
I think there is a certain amount of media fear frenzy, beheadings and such make great copy.
Excuse me ???!!! You say that so casually! Yes, beheadings ... 19 here, 30 there, 10 bodies in a van, 20 in a grave, 30 at a ranch. Wedding guests slaughtered - in the middle of a public town square - oh, sorry, only 15 or so! Shootouts in public places, including down a main tourist area, wounding passersby.

Quote:
"...For most of us, Mexico is reduced several times a week to a sickening barrage of horror flick headlines. Thirty-five bodies left on the freeway during rush-hour in a major tourist city. A person's face sewn onto a soccer ball. Bodies found stuffed in barrels of acid. Heads sent rolling onto busy nightclub dance floors..."
Quote:
"...MEXICO CITY The Mexican government updated its drug war death toll on Wednesday, reporting that 47,515 people had been killed in drug-related violence (ONLY through Sept 2011...) but other agencies disputed those figures ..."
Quote:
"...the most reliable figures come from the Mexican census agency, which identified 67,050 homicides from 2007 through 2010..."
Quote:
"...The figures were announced the same day two decapitated bodies were found at the entrance to one of Mexico's most luxurious shopping malls..."
Quote:
"...In Mexico, drug-related killings went up 11 percent in the first nine months of 2011 when 12,903 people were killed, compared to 11,583 in the same period of 2010, the office said..."
Lets see ... that is 67,050 through 2010, plus 12,903 in the first 9 months of 2011, which leaves us at almost 80,000 dead in 5 years, with a full 12 months since then with no numbers released at all... which just at level rates would be at least another 17,000 or so ... hmmmm ... that's roughly 311 PER WEEK ...!!!

I don't call that media fear frenzy!!!

Mexico is beautiful, and its culture friendly ... but right now it is a war zone! NOT just on the border, but spreading out further and further into the countryside and several of the major cities. Are there safe areas? Sure, and it seems the further from the border the better, but there are corridors under dispute to move the drugs from south to north, so the border is NOT the only unsafe area. And unfortunately, you have to pass through some pretty bad areas to get to relatively safer zones.

IMO - if you must see Mexico, fly there. We aren't talking inconvenience or petty theft here ...

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving