Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,
We are about to pick up our first RV, a 2007 22 ft GulfStream BT Crusier. As such I have been reading a lot of RV web sites trying to learn as much about the RV experience as I can. We have been tenters for 30 years so the "little" 22 footer felt like a huge house by comparison!
However, in surfing the web I have come across a lot of comments about people that carry guns or other types of protecton in their rigs. In the 30 years of camping we never had any trouble in a camp ground or on the road with the exception of one van breakin when we were parked at a remote canoe putin in Maine.
What has been your experiences? Have times really changed that much? should we be thinking of doing any more that just using common sense as to where we go?
Thanks
Don
thanks
Don
don springhetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #2

Hi Everyone,
We are about to pick up our first RV, a 2007 22 ft GulfStream BT Crusier. As such I have been reading a lot of RV web sites trying to learn as much about the RV experience as I can. We have been tenters for 30 years so the "little" 22 footer felt like a huge house by comparison!
However, in surfing the web I have come across a lot of comments about people that carry guns or other types of protecton in their rigs. In the 30 years of camping we never had any trouble in a camp ground or on the road with the exception of one van breakin when we were parked at a remote canoe putin in Maine.
What has been your experiences? Have times really changed that much? should we be thinking of doing any more that just using common sense as to where we go?
Thanks
Don
thanks
Don
don springhetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #3

I think the odds are against needing personal protection,but crimes do happen.Better to have and not need.I stopped being paranoid years ago.You pretty much take your chances no matter what , where or how you go.If you do carry,make sure you know what you are carrying and how to use it.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don -
IMHO, I think that you will find that if a guy is locked and loaded at home, he is probably packin heat on the road as well. I am sure the contrary is about as accurate.

I have read quite a few forum postings about the horrors of driving your MH with the propane turned on. Not too many stories about actual incidents though. My experience with reading about people carrying weapons is about the same - not many incidents, but rather a feeling of pro-active protection.

Telling someone that they don't need to carry a gat is about as effective as telling someone they have to turn off their propane while driving. People are going to do what they feel comfortable with - it doesn't necessarily mean things are blowing up, or crack head hippies are doing satanic rituals around your RV just before they pillage it - just means people do what they do.

Bring on the "my friend's propane tank blew up because he had his fridge on while driving" stories, or the crack head hippie anecdotes. No matter to me. I will do what I do.

BTW - I feel much safer in a campground than I ever did at home. If I get the willies when parked for a nap, I start the coach and drive off. Couldn't do that with my house...

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #5

I was a police officer for 30 years and carried a handgun every where I went. I am now retired 6 years and haven't carried one since. It's nice to know I can if I want to but also happy I don't have to. If I felt I needed a hand gun at any particular camp ground I probably wouldn't go there. So far I haven't felt that way.

Space Coast, FL
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think carrying a gun in your rv puts your family at risk. Cell phone is better.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
I think carrying a gun in your rv puts your family at risk. Cell phone is better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You bet. It allows authorities to get to your RV just after you are all dead.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Or perhaps before.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would it be too much for you to include enough of the post you are replying to to give us a clue about what you mean?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Even the dumbest criminal knows the sound of cycling a round into a 12ga. pump.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:12 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
I think carrying a gun in your rv puts your family at risk. Cell phone is better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our fathers would have agreed with you. Even in the hands of trained professionals there are "friendly" fire accidents. In the confines of an RV or in a campground the possibility that you would hit a family member or a close neighbor are too great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I doubt that most that carry are concerned in an established campground. It's off the beaten path, when you are totally self reliant.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yes
Old 04-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know of anyone who has ever had to use a gun while Rving?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #14

Wasn't there a story in the news a few months ago about the RV'r in Las Vegas who killed a guy who broke into his Rv?

Lou
rvdood is offline   Reply With Quote