Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #43
a k

Newmar Owners Club
If you want to know how the rig is insulated, drive it next to a busy street, tun everything off and listen. If it's noisey, it's not too good. It should be quite in the bedroom.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #44

That's another really good idea when taking a test drive ... Another idea to write down ... Ty /:
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
installing Magneshade this morning. Flipped coin to see which one would be on ladder and who would be inside where it is cool. DW's coin I'm outside!!!!
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We did deep east Texas, place called Crockett, with it's humidity for a summer visit . We were parked headed southeast in a pasture behind the wife's sister's house (cheap rent). Due to lack of breakers, we only had access to one heavy duty 30 circuit, the rear AC had to to be turned off when the toaster oven or microwave were being used. During the day we kept the back unit on high blower set at 70 degrees and the front unit on low brower to keep down the noise set at 72 degrees. Like mentioned in an earlier posting, I don like being boxed in with covered windows, but I did cheat a bit on that stance and the insulation. I used the foil covered bubble insulation to help keep the heat down. Around 10 in the morning I would cover the inside of the windshield, the driver's and passenger's side windows and draw the front curtains until we caught the late afternoon shade. We, including the two dogs, stayed more than comfortable. We've also done a May and June here in Vegas last year while house hunting using the same proceedure. I did supplement air flow with one fan in back and one in front.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the continuing input & feedback - so nice to hear that we aren't the only ones struggling, and what is being done to help beat the heat!
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #48

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2011 Coachman Mirada and live in middle Georgia. Temps here for the last couple of months have been in the upper 90's and we take the MH out just about every weekend. Our favorite lot that we set up on is right at the edge of the lake and not as lick of shade. High temp yesterday was 98­° and we were able to keep the coach at a very comfortable 74°. I think we could go lower, but 74 is perfect for us. The two units did run quite a bit, but not constant. We do keep the shades drawn during the afternoon and the front drape as well.

I'm thinking of adding window awnings and some sort of see through shade for the windshield since one of the great things about RV'ing is the view through the windows. I'm not sure how much they will help, however I'm sure they will help some.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Totally agree with everyone who mentioned front windshield covers. Our windshield is simply a massive intense heat collector. We recently bought the Magna Shades and they definitely make a difference. Reflectors are another great option. Also we always try to face the big windshield away from the afternoon sun (butt to the West is the way to go). This last little tip can make a 10-15 degree difference on hot days.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #50

Thanks for all the comments listed. We were literally baking this past summer having no shade on our lot in a gated community. I ran one air conditioner on the 30 amp. I also hooked up a tall standing portable air conditioner in the living area. I removed the cushions on the back rear side of the table, placed the air conditioner up on the seat portion, put the vent out the small slide window in the rear of the slide-out and ran a hose to a large 2-3 gallon container to catch the water coming from the air conditioner. I plugged the unit into the outlet by the table. This portable only takes about 400 watts so no problem running this with one unit on 30 amp. This made all the difference, but still did not solve the problem at the hottest part of the day (105 degrees in humid weather). Had to start the generator and ran all three air conditioners at the same time. That almost did it. I will try the suggestions in this item and it should work. Especially reducing the air vent duct size in the duct work.
tkamsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #51

Wow! This post is 5 years old. You're a good 'searcher' to find it!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
115 Deg outside air temperature, no shade (Pheonix Az), We could maintain 75 Deg inside the Mirada with one 13.5 k BTU AC unit.

Tinted windows, aluminized insulation covers on windshield and roof vents, white roof, light colored exterior.

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Also - I modified my ceiling A/C unit to allow better air flow. (significant improvement)

Beat the heat – Improving air flow from the air conditioner ceiling unit | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wow! This post is 5 years old. You're a good 'searcher' to find it!!
Thanks. We used all the reflecting pads with shades down on all windows affected including the windshield that gets the late afternoon sun. I also put up two 5 1/2 ft. awnings over the slide out windows. It was like living in a submarine. I may have to accept the possibility that my 1997 Winnebago 34ft. Suncruiser with a 13 ft. slide just doesn't have sufficient insulation which is a surprise for a unit built up north. I am hoping three other suggestions I plan to use next year will work. 1) clipping down the air flow vents, 2) putting a dehumidifier in the shower stall, and 3) insulating the still exposed metal window frames that liberally transfer extreme heat into the inside of the coach. I can't believe all three of these actions won't help. I still wouldn't trade the overall experience of owning a motorhome.
tkamsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #54

I had a 2004 Bounder that was 30 AMP and after reading thru this thread

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/addin...h-80640-2.html

I ran my back AC unit on a separate 20 AMP line that I could plug into the shore pedestal, never had a problem after that keeping my coach cool even in summertime at Lake Havasu.
Wrangler338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #55

(doh - didn't look at thread date, just the "recently updated threads" list :\) You sure all the ducts/inlets are clear and filters cleaned? Had any pros look at them? Blinds and awnings all present and accounted for?

Have three units on this Tiffin Phaeton, when it was being built it was incredibly hot and humid in Red Bay but even with just two of them running it would get too cold for comfort inside - though that was in the shade.

I know they used to put a double-roof on trucks used in the deserts in the Middle East, just a metal roof on about 4" stand-offs so that the sun wasn't shining directly on the cab roof. A cheap mod?

I'm getting solar panels installed on the roof, as many as will fit, so I expect they will cool temps down a bit with the shading they'll provide when I'm not moving.
dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #56

Definitely get a front window screen. It won't make you feel boxed in. You can see out of them just fine but people can't see in during the day. During the night people will be able to see in so just draw the drapes.

It was suggested to us by other motorhome owners to get a darker color rather than white. A darker color will make the objects crisper and you can see further. It will also cut down on glare. We looked through them both and found it to be true. Our window was not hot at all with the dark brown screen. It will really make a difference to you.

You mentioned Newmar - they have individual ducted vent system:

Total Comfort - Newmar motor coach air conditioning | Newmar

Newmar uses R19 Eco Batt insulation rather than fiberglass and the roof is R24.

We were always comfortable in our Newmar but I don't think any RV can be lowered to 70 deg. on its own when the outside temp is 100+. You have to make a few additions yourself such as the big window screen; keeping other window coverings closed when the sun is coming in on that side.

We also had window awnings which we really think helps a lot. We tried to park so the hot afternoon sun would not be on our refrigerator side or so the front window would not be facing west for the afternoon.

Another thing we did as much as we could was to stay in the mountains.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs