Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 01:55 AM   #1

rvtechcourse.com.....anyone done it?

I realize that there are YouTube videos on just about any RV repair one could accomplish, and of course there is access to lots of smart people on forums such as these who are VERY generous with their time when it comes to helping fellow RV'ers out.

However, as a new RV owner, I've been kind of itching to attend some sort of more formal training class and get a little better understanding of how my RV works. I did a little Google searching looking for some training that would be a week long or so and got into some hands on training.

Has anyone done this rvtechcourse.com class? Looks like it is 5 days long, cost around $1600 bucks, is hands on, and goes into some depth into how RV systems work and how to do some common repairs.

Anyone know of any other courses like this one, short of going through a full community college/technician class? I have no interest in getting any certifications or anything. I just want to learn from some decent instructors and get some hands on training.

https://rvtechcourse.com/
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 02:24 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FMCA has a RV basics course. Two days / $250. Usually presented in conjunction with FMCA rallies. Details and schedule on the FMCA website.

If you have a Freightliner based motorhome, Camp Freightliner is a very good program. I attended earlier this year in Yuma AZ. About $200 iirc for two days. Details and schedule on the freightliner web site.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
FMCA has a RV basics course. Two days / $250. Usually presented in conjunction with FMCA rallies. Details and schedule on the FMCA website.

If you have a Freightliner based motorhome, Camp Freightliner is a very good program. I attended earlier this year in Yuma AZ. About $200 iirc for two days. Details and schedule on the freightliner web site.
Thanks, I'll take a look at the FMCA course. Have you done the FMCA course? I'm looking for something where we actually "turn wrenches" and goes into RV systems a little deeper than the basics.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The Escapees RV Club also has the RV'ers Boot Camp that includes more than 20 hours of training on essential RV topics. Too the best of my knowledge, this is one of the longestest running training sessions of this type. Their Boot Camp website lists three sessions that will run this year.
  • Escapees North Ranch - Congress, AZ , February 3-5, 2017
  • 57th Escapade - Tucson, AZ, March 16-18, 2017
  • Rainbows End - Livingston, Tx, November 10-12, 2017

Though I am a member of FMCA and other RV clubs, I find the Escapees to be possibly the best match for us. They have great events and some really good RV park deals that we use whenever we can.

It is good to see that you are educating yourself.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
The Escapees RV Club also has the RV'ers Boot Camp that includes more than 20 hours of training on essential RV topics. Too the best of my knowledge, this is one of the longestest running training sessions of this type. Their Boot Camp website lists three sessions that will run this year.
  • Escapees North Ranch - Congress, AZ , February 3-5, 2017
  • 57th Escapade - Tucson, AZ, March 16-18, 2017
  • Rainbows End - Livingston, Tx, November 10-12, 2017

Though I am a member of FMCA and other RV clubs, I find the Escapees to be possibly the best match for us. They have great events and some really good RV park deals that we use whenever we can.

It is good to see that you are educating yourself.
Thanks will take a look!
Old 12-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a freightliner chassis, I recommend Freightliners 101 class. The majority of classes are at the plant (and RV service center) in Gaffney, SC right off the interstate. Free hookups out back, and very reasonable.

The class is normally continually booked, and occassionally they'll go on the road to a couple cities. If the website shows full, then call.

Their 101 class is a 2 day classroom type, their follow-on class is actually doing maintenance on your own coach with the experts.

To be clear though, that is a chassis class (eng, trans, air, brakes, axles, etc). It's not what the manufacturers put on top of the frame.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
If you have a freightliner chassis, I recommend Freightliners 101 class. The majority of classes are at the plant (and RV service center) in Gaffney, SC right off the interstate. Free hookups out back, and very reasonable.

The class is normally continually booked, and occassionally they'll go on the road to a couple cities. If the website shows full, then call.

Their 101 class is a 2 day classroom type, their follow-on class is actually doing maintenance on your own coach with the experts.

To be clear though, that is a chassis class (eng, trans, air, brakes, axles, etc). It's not what the manufacturers put on top of the frame.
Thanks Kiawah. I don't have a Freightliner chassis........yet ; ) Maybe next year. If I do get a Freightlier rig, I will definitely attend that class.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm interested too. Thanks for the info.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I took the RV Maintenance Tech course last year. I also took the advanced class as a follow up. Yes it's a little pricey on face value, but the knowledge and the troubleshooting techniques learned are well worth the investment. I have since started my own RV inspection business on the side, making it all a write off. I have been RVing over 19yrs and this just added more to my toolbox. Met some great folks along the way, too.

Michael "Mike" Littrell
RV Inspections USA, LLC
Buda, Texas
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey143 View Post
I took the RV Maintenance Tech course last year. I also took the advanced class as a follow up. Yes it's a little pricey on face value, but the knowledge and the troubleshooting techniques learned are well worth the investment. I have since started my own RV inspection business on the side, making it all a write off. I have been RVing over 19yrs and this just added more to my toolbox. Met some great folks along the way, too.

Michael "Mike" Littrell
RV Inspections USA, LLC
Buda, Texas
Care to stick around for a few questions?

What is the "advanced" follow up course? Is that the one where they talk about the business side of a RV inspection business?

As far as the regular 5 day course goes, would you describe it as pretty technical AND hands on? What I'm looking for is a class that will get in-depth into RV systems- more so that the RV's service manual. I want to know how the system works, how to trouble shoot it hands-on, how to remove/install, etc., stuff like that.

Also, I will not be able to bring my own RV and will likely stay local with some relatives, is that a problem?

Finally, is the course work good quality? I got the "vibe" (from the website and a few of the videos) that they might be trying to "sell" me something (more courses/materials?) that I'm really not interested in. I could be totally wrong, but it just seemed like they were really trying to sell the course, which to me is a bit of a red flag. If it's a good course, it would sell itself.....know what I mean? I just want to be able to work on my RV, or at least have a good what a technician SHOULD be doing when they work on it for me. I have no desire to be a RV inspector.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Yes, the 5-day is all the above. The student will learn in detail all of the major systems of the RV. Detailed instruction in how each of the appliances operate. The operational differences between brands, etc. hands-on troubleshooting techniques, hands-on equipment testing procedures, detailed instruction on the three RV electrical systems (12v chassis, 12v RV, 120v appliances while on shore power or generator). The courses are taught by certified instructors and there is testing at the end of the course. By the end of the course, a student will be able to troubleshoot and/or repair most of the common problems that arise in RVs. I'm glad I took it.

The advanced class was more business oriented. The 5-day is sufficient. Terry Cooper is the Master RV tech that wrote the curriculum. Good stuff.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Course materials are provided and you come home with an armload of reference materials.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey143 View Post
Yes, the 5-day is all the above. Good stuff.
Thanks Mikey.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post

Finally, is the course work good quality? I got the "vibe" (from the website and a few of the videos) that they might be trying to "sell" me something (more courses/materials?) that I'm really not interested in. I could be totally wrong, but it just seemed like they were really trying to sell the course, which to me is a bit of a red flag. If it's a good course, it would sell itself.....know what I mean?
Thanks!
Based on the fact that the Freightliner course is always booked, that pretty much means to me that it sells itself.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote