Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question ?'s: Buying used DP, warranty, service after sale

We plan to trade in our TH for a used DP and I have a few questions/concerns:

1. I'm going to guess buying any type of extended warranty through/from the dealership is a waste of money on a 2006 DP, especially if we plan to go fulltime and won't often be near the dealership of purchase. Agree or disagree? We're thinking we wasted our money on the extended warranty we bought on our new TH.

2. We've found a few coaches around Houston we like from Demontrond, PPL & Camping World. Demontrond's RV service department doesn't get high marks. Most all comments about PPL are positive. Camping World - lots of places across the U.S. I'm expecting on an older DP there will be some minor issues to be fixed after doing the PDI. Should we be that concerned about where we buy from if probably the only time we'll use their service department is to fix those initial issues (providing they actually fix them correctly)?

3. RVSurvey - where an RV inspector checks the unit for you. Good idea? Or could we do just as well ourselves with a checklist? My husband is pretty mechanically inclined although we've never owned a DP.

Thanks! We've been researching every possible issue we can think of.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

1) An extended warrantee is a personal choice that may or may not pay itself back. You will be receiving responses from both camps on this issue. I bought a very well cared for '06 DP and had an issue with the engine that ended up costing around $4000 to repair. I had purchased an extended warrantee just for my own peace of mind and the cost of the repair ended up exceeding what I paid for the warrantee, so I am money ahead. There are others who have had no problems and feel a warrantee is an unnecessary expense. If you do choose to buy the warrantee, you are not governed to have repairs under that warrantee done by the selling dealer. That warrantee should be honored by any reputable repair facility nationwide. If you buy from a dealer, you will be in a position to negotiate the cost of that warrantee. Whatever they pitch to you as your cost should be cut in half as a counter offer by you, and they will still be making a profit on it.
2) Buying from a reputable dealer has its pluses. There are probably more unscrupulous dealers than fair and honest ones. This is of particular concern if you as a buyer have little experience with powered RV's which are more complex that those that are towed behind.
3) A survey, while worth the few hundred dollar expense generally applies to the onboard systems and will provide only a superficial test of the propulsion system. It would be far better to obtain at least copies of the previous owner’s maintenance and repair records. This is a critical plus with DP's. If the records cannot be provided, then ownership becomes a gamble that all maintenance that needed to be done, was done.

Dan

Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
If you buy from a dealer, you will be in a position to negotiate the cost of that warrantee. Whatever they pitch to you as your cost should be cut in half as a counter offer by you, and they will still be making a profit on it
This was great to know. Thank you for the tips Dan!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is a link to a dealer in Houston that came highly recommended by people we know in Tx.
Used RV's Motorhomes, RV Service & Sales Houston, Texas

We don't do CW as I'm not willing to take the chance. There overall reputation leaves much to be desired.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Here is a link to a dealer in Houston that came highly recommended by people we know in Tx.
Used RV's Motorhomes, RV Service & Sales Houston, Texas
We visited them before we bought our TH. Very nice folks.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cutting the cost of the warranty in half is just not true. Ive run dealers for almost 30 years. Its true they can mark them up any amount they want but rarely have I seen double. Car business, the average is probably around 500.00. Rv's A bit more. Less markup on travel trailers and it increases a bit when you move up to a gas motorhome and a bit more on a DP. You can't use a blanket statement like that. Depends on the dealer. Shop around. As far as the warranty being honored at any other dealer than the selling dealer, it depends. Make sure you read it and ask questions. Some dealers self insure and the warranty may only be good at the selling dealer. Most can be used at other dealers and independent repair facilities however just about all will require pre-authorization on any repairs. If you have the repairs done without authorization, THEY WILL NOT COVER THE REPAIR. Extended service policies are nothing more than an insurance policy. You wouldn't think of driving your expensive rig without coverage. Why would you drive the same rig without covering the parts that get it down the road especially on a pusher where major drive train component repair could run you into the tens of thousands? Not to mention the house portion. In my book I'm more likely to need a repair than have an accident.

Tags
sale, service