Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #15

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I got my Loess Hills Awning lock for Christmas and installed it today. I had to call for some help in following the directions, but after that it was about a 40 minute job.
Hope I don't need to try it out, but it is in place just in case.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
I like the lock that Wayne M posted but looks like you have to use a latter to get up there, is that right?
From the product's website:
"It can be engaged or disengaged in a few seconds, using your normal awning wand."
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Here's a free awning lock. It's your awning pull rod!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #18

I use today and have for nearly 10 years the same system Tom N shows in his photo. They work and nothing could be easier or cheaper, do it from the ground. I lost two awnings before I came up with this simple lock.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
What does the bottom of the rod attach to? It's tough to tell from the photos.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
What does the bottom of the rod attach to? It's tough to tell from the photos.
I tie mine to the anchor foot plate of the awning, (where the arm is fastened to the coach or 5th at the bottom pivot point). I use a coil spring attached to the eye at the end of the awning rod, to allow some movement. However, that may not be completely necessary.
You can run the rod through plastic tubing to keep from scruffing your awning arm or just a piece where they might touch and a velcro wrap to keep the rod secure to the vertical arm in the wind.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
What the heck is going on!!! Why are we putting up with this??
It seems this has been a problem from the very first awning and yet the manufactures do NOTHING about it!! They should not be allowed to sell them without a lock... they are a hazard!!

Taking a deep breath (hard to do for me).. OK.. I'll step off of my soap box and be good for the rest of the day.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Awning Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
Santa brought me the awning lock mentioned above. It does require the use of an 8' ladder. also requires a drill motor, center punch, phillips screwdriver, drill bits 7/32", 1/8", 3/8" drill bit, fine tipped marker, and wreches that fit the supplied nuts. This is the requirement for mine which is for the A&E weather Pro awning with the TSWD adapter.
I will be installing within the next week and will post when that is complete.

Santa also brought me the above "Awning Lock". I installed it over the holidays. Installation is as easy as Ronnie says. I havent been camping, since I installed it, but I know it will work.

Gripper
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
What the heck is going on!!! Why are we putting up with this??
It seems this has been a problem from the very first awning and yet the manufactures do NOTHING about it!! They should not be allowed to sell them without a lock... they are a hazard!!

Taking a deep breath (hard to do for me).. OK.. I'll step off of my soap box and be good for the rest of the day.
The awning manufacturers feel they have a pall and ratchet system that is supposed to prevent this unfurling. Of course we all know it doesn't, but think of number of awnings they sell every year from these mishaps. Insurance companies do not even come out to look at the rig any more. Just order a new one and have it installed, send us the bill or we will pay you from an estimate. Who is going to shoot that golden goose?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #24

Our old MH has locks on the arms to prevent them from opening and a very strong spring; somewhat difficult to get started opening. While we don't intend to spend a LOT of time on the road our awning has seemed quite stable so far, but we've yet to travel in any heavy winds.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
Our old MH has locks on the arms to prevent them from opening and a very strong spring; somewhat difficult to get started opening. While we don't intend to spend a LOT of time on the road our awning has seemed quite stable so far, but we've yet to travel in any heavy winds.
Unfortunately it isn't the arms that cause the unfurling or the awning to come away from the coach. Air gets up under and between the layers of vinyl or what ever and this strips the gear and the whole thing then violently tears away from the coach. The rod fix keeps the awning roller from turning there by keeping the entire system tight.