Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #15

Also have to apologize it is JC Refrigeration. I have JR on the brain since that is who I set this up with.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Sad to say I can not recommend JC Refrigeration

I don’t think you realize , As I said I don’t believe he has “installation” employees . I only saw him and his son .. period. Very small operation. They may have someone come in at 4 when they build them( I wasn’t up then !) but all I saw was welding flashes under the door at 5 on a early a.m. bathroom visit. Knocked on my door at 8 and personally looked at my fridge to make sure the gaskets were good and door sealed. I got the impression if they weren’t he wouldn’t do the job.
Your dealing with just him and if he’s gone there’s nobody there I think. There’s just 2 rigs parked in his house/ shop driveway ea day that he does after building a few more units.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I don’t think you realize , As I said I don’t believe he has “installation” employees . I only saw him and his son .. period. Very small operation. They may have someone come in at 4 when they build them( I wasn’t up then !) but all I saw was welding flashes under the door at 5 on a early a.m. bathroom visit. Knocked on my door at 8 and personally looked at my fridge to make sure the gaskets were good and door sealed. I got the impression if they weren’t he wouldn’t do the job.
Your dealing with just him and if he’s gone there’s nobody there I think. There’s just 2 rigs parked in his house/ shop driveway ea day that he does after building a few more units.
Oh wow no I did not realize that. If he and his son are not doing the installs it must be subbed out I assume. When I call today maybe we can work something out. I want nothing more than to come on here and say he stepped up and got it done.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #18

JR, Emailed me back this morning. This really stinks because he seems like such a nice guy. I am just falling into a timing change on their end.

As of now we are going back and fourth with options but doesn't like anything is going to work. Their plans have changed and they simply will not be there. It would seem simple enough but it's not. it is not just a one day alteration in the schedule it's three because they do not work Sunday the 29th and are shut down the 30th and 31st. For us to accommodate either side of that would require basically forgoing the majority of the vacation and just driving to have this done.

Looks like the last option is me doing the install assuming I could get it here in enough time to get it done. My fear as I expressed to JR is I get it half done and run into an issue I need something that I can not get and end up cancelling the trip with the frig laying on the floor.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #19

Update: Spoke to JR. I really wish they could have done the install I would have liked to have met him personally. He couldn't apologize enough for the issue. The only option is going to be installing the unit myself. Which in reality solves the issue of running it for the few days I would have had to even get to them on the original date so that will relieve some unneeded worrying.

He took good care of me in getting the unit out the door today with a Monday delivery. That gives me a few days to install it. After discussions with JR I went with the residential unit.

Happy to say I can officially eat crow and get this party started. Thanks to all that replied and for all the helpful assistance.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Wish I could help at the party. Would give me insights into how an install really goes for us DIY folks. Be sure to take some pics and post back here!
I have been back and forth on possibly updating our older unit. It still holds around 40° and 5° most the time. But I fear the performance is starting to drop some.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Wish I could help at the party. Would give me insights into how an install really goes for us DIY folks. Be sure to take some pics and post back here!
I have been back and forth on possibly updating our older unit. It still holds around 40° and 5° most the time. But I fear the performance is starting to drop some.
I definitely will. I am thinking while I wait for the unit I will remove this one and get the disassembly done that way 3/4 of the job will be done before it gets here. According to JR with the residential units the install is much faster due to no propane plumbing etc.

couple of notes. To be able to go with the residential unit you have to have two outlets in the bay some only have house power. The second is direct from the inverter to run the icemaker the new unit will plug into so it will run off the invertor. And he said just take lots of pictures of the wiring etc as once the unit comes apart it makes putting it back together a lot easier on the wiring end.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sure glad you reached a compromise with JR! Wish he could have done the install but sometimes things just happen that are beyond our control. My dealings with him have been outstanding!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post

Happy to say I can officially eat crow and get this party started.
I don't think you're eating crow at all. While you came up with a compromise solution, it was not the original promise from the business.

I'm in a company that apparently has the "Customer First" attitude you describe in your own company. We absolutely bend over backwards and do hand flips if that's what the client needs. "NO" is not in the vocabulary. If we promise, everything possible in heaven and on earth is on the table to be sure it's done.

The compromise is better than nothing and I'm glad something was worked out. But I don't see any feathers sticking out of your mouth!

I am extremely interested in how this unit works out for you. I have the original 11 year old 1200 in my RV (had the recall done before I bought it) and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because even when temps are in the 90's, my freezer sits at around zero degrees and the fridge in the mid to upper 30's depending on location in the box. If it's in the 70's, I can get ice in the milk! But, I'm afraid my luck will run out with all the horrible 1200 stories I'm reading here, so I have been thinking about that residential conversion. I watched the video on their website, and the work to install seems simple enough.

Question: I don't see prices on their website...maybe I missed them. Do they just quote when you call them?

Best wishes!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Sure glad you reached a compromise with JR! Wish he could have done the install but sometimes things just happen that are beyond our control. My dealings with him have been outstanding!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
We wish he could have too. But it wasn't in the cards. Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I don't think you're eating crow at all. While you came up with a compromise solution, it was not the original promise from the business.

I'm in a company that apparently has the "Customer First" attitude you describe in your own company. We absolutely bend over backwards and do hand flips if that's what the client needs. "NO" is not in the vocabulary. If we promise, everything possible in heaven and on earth is on the table to be sure it's done.

The compromise is better than nothing and I'm glad something was worked out. But I don't see any feathers sticking out of your mouth!

I am extremely interested in how this unit works out for you. I have the original 11 year old 1200 in my RV (had the recall done before I bought it) and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because even when temps are in the 90's, my freezer sits at around zero degrees and the fridge in the mid to upper 30's depending on location in the box. If it's in the 70's, I can get ice in the milk! But, I'm afraid my luck will run out with all the horrible 1200 stories I'm reading here, so I have been thinking about that residential conversion. I watched the video on their website, and the work to install seems simple enough.

Question: I don't see prices on their website...maybe I missed them. Do they just quote when you call them?

Best wishes!
Thanks for the kind words. From a fellow business person with the obvious same ethics it means a lot to me.

I agree on the business thing it's just how we do it. Their thing was family oriented issue so I was a bit more sympathetic I know the value of family an dhow important that is. If it had been a BS excuse it would not have been so easy to take. He also offered to literally stay on the phone the whole time if I needed him to.

The install looks fairly straight forward I will take pics and report back. I am fairly handy so I do not see an issue. I just really wanted them to do it this time. I usually do most things myself but in brining this gem back I have done so much I wanted a break. lol.

I called for pricing. The residential is actually very reasonable.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I installed the cooling unit in my previous rig. Didn't work out too well as I also needed new door gaskets and the only way to get them was to buy new doors. Too expensive to do so I limped along with the new cooling unit and bad gaskets.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Thanks for the kind words. From a fellow business person with the obvious same ethics it means a lot to me.

I agree on the business thing it's just how we do it. Their thing was family oriented issue so I was a bit more sympathetic I know the value of family an dhow important that is. If it had been a BS excuse it would not have been so easy to take. He also offered to literally stay on the phone the whole time if I needed him to.

The install looks fairly straight forward I will take pics and report back. I am fairly handy so I do not see an issue. I just really wanted them to do it this time. I usually do most things myself but in brining this gem back I have done so much I wanted a break. lol.

I called for pricing. The residential is actually very reasonable.
There are some great videos on jc refrigeration website

Terry
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I installed the cooling unit in my previous rig. Didn't work out too well as I also needed new door gaskets and the only way to get them was to buy new doors. Too expensive to do so I limped along with the new cooling unit and bad gaskets.
Was the absorption unit? I checked the gaskets on this unit they are still in good shape but definitely good info for those considering the conversion.