Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #15

I will never be a CW/GS member again either.
Never did thing CW prices were at all in line with prices from other suppliers. And GS was always 'goofy'. Their 'member benefits" don't add up to be worth anything.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #16
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I bought my Quest AV Distribution Switch from CW. I'm from Canada and they now ship there. They said free shipping so I went with them even though they were About $20.00 more for for the unit. I filled out all my info on line including my zip and presto, the cost cost went from $63.00 to $96.00 which I assumed was the shipping and tax to Canada.

My part arrived last week and I had to shell out an additional $46.00. Wasn't too pleased with that but didn't want to ship it back and wait for another part from elsewhere in the states.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
my recent experiences with the service departments in CW in both El Paso and Boise have made me look elsewhere for service. both facilities had poor customer service and less than desirable quality of repairs. Not worth the frustration in dealing with them, and I have found much better service from other independant dealers. Guess that is what happens when you have more business than you can handle, customer care goes out the window.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used Camping World/Good Sam for many years and so far have had no problems with them. Im sure there are others that have had, but not me. I dont buy/use Camping World for all items I purchase since I normally do my homework and look for the best prices. I have seen on the other forum board that the CEO, Mr. Lemonis, checks the board regularly and addresses problems quickly. Why not try contacting him at rvnet.com and see if this cant be resolved? His email is posted there. If this had happened to be, like you, I would not be happy and would want it corrected.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #19

I let my CW President's Club membership lapse a couple of years ago as I found I could buy products at a local Trailer supply store for less than what I would pay at CW after my Club discount.

Over the years as a member I was always treated well at CW and bought many items, however after finding a source for RV items at less cost and approximately 18 miles closer to where i live I discontinued patronizing CW.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We were at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix in March of this year. At the Rally, CEO Marcus Lemonis said that $5,000 gas cards would be sent to all GS members with 30+ years of membership and those with 20+ years of membership would get a $100 gas card. Good Sam confirmed that we have been members for 20 years --- but we are still waiting to get our gas card and now we do not get responses to our e-mailed inquiries. It appears to be just another Affinity Group/Good Sam scam. Has anyone on this Forum received their gas card?????
aztransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztransplant View Post
We were at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix in March of this year. At the Rally, CEO Marcus Lemonis said that $5,000 gas cards would be sent to all GS members with 30+ years of membership and those with 20+ years of membership would get a $100 gas card. Good Sam confirmed that we have been members for 20 years --- but we are still waiting to get our gas card and now we do not get responses to our e-mailed inquiries. It appears to be just another Affinity Group/Good Sam scam. Has anyone on this Forum received their gas card?????
Did they give you a signed contract or anything that can be proved?
Are you sure it was a $5,000 gas card? Or 5,000 members would get a card?

A FREE GAS $5,000 card sounds more like that saying, "If it sounds to good to be true"

At Link below you can ask Marcus that question.
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Good Sam Club
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I was at Camping World this week and bought a Hydro life replacement filter. The normal price was $48 and the sale price was $40.
I mentioned that I had seen the CW internet sale price of $28. The lady at the counter sold it to me for $28. She said that they would match the internet price. I dunno how you could get better than that.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Camping and then RVing got in my blood as I was growing up through the years. We never took a vacation in a hotel. Always camped, from tent to Class A MH, and all steps in between.

My dad was always a member of Camping World Presidents Club, and Good Sam. They were with us all the way. And because my dad did, I signed right up for Presidents Club and Good Sam when I bought my first RV.

Sadly, it appears as though these companies have gone the route of being too big, too bloated, and have not been able to adapt and compete in any way with the internet. We all know their prices are higher on products we can get elsewhere on the internet. Instead of adapting and competing in the market place, they have opted for marketing ploys to try and swindle a dollar whenever they can.

Well, today was the final straw. My wife has wanted that folding hammock they sell since she saw it at one of their stores. She has also wanted that clothes dryer that mounts on the ladder and unfolds. These products are perpetually "on sale".

This morning I took the bait and used the $20 off they offered via email on orders over $120. Unfortunately, the price from what was shown in my cart went up $10 after I submitted my CC info and placed the order! So their marketing scam got me for $10. No matter how you try to excuse it, to me, stealing is stealing, and this is stealing. Sure, it's only $10 but, you know the rest.

So, I'm sad to say that because of what they have become, I can no longer deal with CW and GS. They will not get another penny from me, not to mention horror stories I've heard from the poor souls that have actually bought RVs from them. I just feel like a little bit of camping nostalgia has been taken away. Just seems like it didn't need to be that way.
OMG! This is EXACTLY what just happened to me on Monday! I placed an online order at CW that totaled $702.34 , all the items were on sale and i used an online coupon for an additional $100.00 off any order over $500.00. When I received my online receipt from CW the total was $819.79!! They had removed all of the discounts!!!!!!!!!
I was furious and called CW customer service, I felt like they were doing a form of bait and switch, they were ripping me off!!! I talked to a customer service rep and she told me that the offer of $100.00 for any purchase of $500.00 or more expired on June 24th! ( I placed my order on June 25) EVEN THOUGH THE WEBSITE STATED THAT THE OFFER EXPIRES JULY 1ST! Anyway to make a long story short I was told that since it had been only an hour since I placed my order the customer rep could not open my order to apply the discounts. I would have to call back later when my order status was "order open". So, 3 hours later I called again and all of the discounts were applied but I had to make 4 phone calls to get it all straightened out!!! I was told by the customer rep, that "they were having website problems"
I now am very leery of buying anything online from CW because I do not trust them!!! I find if very interesting that all of the errors on CW"s part resulted in them pocketing more of my money!!!!
Buyer beware!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
^ Or it could be they were having problems with their website. For example, my wife has to work with computer software that hasn't been upgraded in 15 years (major national retailer).

I ordered two more tubes of sealant from CW and free shipping considered, they're asking about $5-7 a tube less than most other places. Not all their prices are outrageous.

A couple decades ago, when CW opened a store where I used to live I remember thinking some of their prices were pretty close to fair and some I thought were outrageous. I also don't ever remember having a confidence-inspiring conversation with any of their counter people regarding parts or service. In fact I remember I made it a point not to take my rig to them. My point being, just how new is their "outrageous" pricing and their less than stellar customer service?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #25

Coincidentally, I was about to post a new thread asking for advice about the various club memberships available out there. I completely appreciate your input, Dmiles!!

I am a returning RV'er and just bought a new TT. I am a diamond member with Hilton; a platinum member with Marriott, and wanted to find out folks' opinions with similar membership opportunities for the RV community.

I do not consider the post a rant, rather one person's experience. But the facts stated are similar to many club memberships out there that I have found; be it, credit cards, stores, hotels, and now camping memberships for me.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that it takes weeks to remove oneself from a membership or emailing list, but only minutes - dare I say moments - to sign you up.

I am not convinced one way or another, and will do further research before signing up for any camping membership. I will, however, be full-timing with my job and have found that THE RIGHT hotel memberships have been of considerable value. I am hoping to find a camping/RV membership that will provide real incentive and real advantages for folks.

So, if anyone has any thoughts or opinions - either for or against - RV/camping memberships, please provide your sentiments. I could use the advice.

Thanks!!
jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
I find that, like any retail store, some of CW prices are pretty good and some way to high. So, I have a choice whether to buy there or not.

Purchased a few things though the internet site and have always had a good experience. If they advertised free shipping or some other discounts, I always received them with no hassles.

I will not use their service departments, except for very simple things as I have found that their service people are not very well trained and come with a"know it all attitude" and I don't feel like pulling out the manufactures service manual and
showing it to them.

I'm a GS life member and consider the money well spent. I'm also a FMCA member, I think both of them have their good and bad points.

Dean
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I find that on some ordered parts they really want to do the job and not you. I ordered a part for my hot water heater CW price $38. It was ordered and I was told it would have to come from another store [out of stock there], I would have to pay shipping from the other store. I needed it and it was ordered. It never arrived, I bought it on ebay for $12.00 free shipping. I will not play their games. If I was bringing my coach to them for a fix what would my cost be? Oh I forgot, I get a 10% discount.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #28

Some Camping World news from Florida area.

Camping World moving to dominate Tampa RV market

Camping World v/s Lazy Days