Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sad to see what has become of CW, GS

Camping and then RVing got in my blood as I was growing up through the years. We never took a vacation in a hotel. Always camped, from tent to Class A MH, and all steps in between.

My dad was always a member of Camping World Presidents Club, and Good Sam. They were with us all the way. And because my dad did, I signed right up for Presidents Club and Good Sam when I bought my first RV.

Sadly, it appears as though these companies have gone the route of being too big, too bloated, and have not been able to adapt and compete in any way with the internet. We all know their prices are higher on products we can get elsewhere on the internet. Instead of adapting and competing in the market place, they have opted for marketing ploys to try and swindle a dollar whenever they can.

Well, today was the final straw. My wife has wanted that folding hammock they sell since she saw it at one of their stores. She has also wanted that clothes dryer that mounts on the ladder and unfolds. These products are perpetually "on sale".

This morning I took the bait and used the $20 off they offered via email on orders over $120. Unfortunately, the price from what was shown in my cart went up $10 after I submitted my CC info and placed the order! So their marketing scam got me for $10. No matter how you try to excuse it, to me, stealing is stealing, and this is stealing. Sure, it's only $10 but, you know the rest.

So, I'm sad to say that because of what they have become, I can no longer deal with CW and GS. They will not get another penny from me, not to mention horror stories I've heard from the poor souls that have actually bought RVs from them. I just feel like a little bit of camping nostalgia has been taken away. Just seems like it didn't need to be that way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

I also enjoyed CW over the years and was a member of the presidents club (for whatever that is worth). As stated, the discount camp supply pricing is over.

Was that you would go the CW and converse with employees that knew camping and gear. Now its just join the presidents club and pushy sales. Sales prices are way higher than regular prices elsewhere.

About two weeks ago I went online to order a shore power cable plug from CW. The website would not allow me to buy the plug without first signing up for GS. I have no use for GS and am in no way interested in joining. I sent an email to customer service expressing my dissatisfaction with CW and stated I wanted to be removed from any correspondence lists. I received a form reply that it would take six weeks to be removed from the lists. Strange. It takes about three seconds to get money from my debit card. Then I received a letter from the company CEO about how great I have it at CW/GS.

I have to admit I did buy an RV from CW in 2011. Not a bad deal but could have been better (always the case. LOL.)

At the moment I don't care to deal with CW because of their pricing and the GS sales push. If I want to buy something I'll buy it. Don't push something on me I did not come to buy and don't want.

SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been RVing for one year and could not agree more. I have gone to a local shop and like helping the small guys out. I come from the boating world and the same thing has happened. I went into a boating store and could not believe the cost.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam members get FREE shipping from CW right now.
That probably would be worth $10.

Everyone can chose to buy or not buy from any store they want.
But why rant about it.
I won't buy a Michelin tire again.
No longer buy any liqueur or cigarettes either, because both of those are too high of a price.

CW still has some good prices on some items and higher on others.
I bought 4 on sell items last night, on line from CW that was cheaper then other on line places, with free shipping.
I do search for good prices.

The other day I ordered a Mach III PS 13.5K AC from PPL that with freight shipping was $750.81.
It was $235.39 less then the same AC from CW.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Good Sam members get FREE shipping from CW right now.
That probably would be worth $10.

Everyone can chose to buy or not buy from any store they want.
But why rant about it.
I won't buy a Michelin tire again.
No longer buy any liqueur or cigarettes either, because both of those are too high of a price.

CW still has some good prices on some items and higher on others.
I bought 4 on sell items last night, on line from CW that was cheaper then other on line places, with free shipping.
I do search for good prices.

The other day I ordered a Mach III PS 13.5K AC from PPL that with freight shipping was $750.81.
It was $235.39 less then the same AC from CW.
You and I have very different ideas about what a "rant" is. The warning that I posted yesterday was nowhere near what I would call a rant.

I guess since you were overwhelmed by my "rant" you missed my point. Until it expires, I am currently a GS/CW presidents club member. Whether or not "free" shipping is worth the $10 has nothing to do with it. It was the merchandise total (the total cost of the 2 items I ordered) That changed after I clicked "place order".

My point is, we have a shopping cart with a total that I agree to pay. I put in my CC number, and click "place order". Now stay with me here. After the screen refreshes, I get a total charged to my CC that is $10 higher than the total in my cart. One can try to make any number of excuses for what happened, but to me, they stole $10 from me. They will not get the chance to do that again.

To me, a theif is a theif. Be it 10 cents, 10 dollars or 10 thousand dollars . It's like the old joke where the punch line is "we've already established what you are, I'm just trying to arrive at a price".
Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why didn't you just cancell your order?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Why didn't you just cancell your order?
It's worth $10 to me not to have to tell the DW that her hammock and clothes dryer aren't coming. I think that this is what they count on. It's not enough money that folks will actually cancel their order. But by the time you multiply $10 x a few hundred, it adds up. Besides, they debited my card within seconds of the order. Who knows how long they might take to issue a credit, if they ever did at all.

Also, for some odd reason, the debited my card twice, once for each item, which added another $2 and change to the total. I don't think I've ever had anything like this happen before.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #8

Call customer service, they'll take care of the overcharges.
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We are new to RVing but I have to say we have very mixed and frustrated feeling when it comes to GS and CW. Have already learned to use them as idea sources about 99% of the time.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Not everything you order is coming from CW... sometimes it is drop shipped from the manufacturer or another provider. found that out on my first order... haven't been back to the site to look again. Not that I won't, but there are great prices other places and perhaps not so much tempting me that I don't really need.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #11

Did you even attempt to call the 800 number for customer service. I order on line from many outlets, especially for supplies for my woodworking hobby. It is not unusual for a product to not transfer to the "shopping cart" correctly. I have found that a call to the appropriate 800 number corrects the situation.
Gee, I have gone to the supermarket, purchased a product with a shelf talker sales tag and found the register incorrectly rings the item...often.
The department stores are well known for sales tags that don't ring appropriately on the register and require a sales associate to make a correction.
For a computer error you will never shop at an outlet again. Really.
Camping World and GS certainly have their problems. They are trying to stay in business in a hostile environment when RV growth is questionable and competition if fierce. I thought I would never sign up for GS ERS, but I did, for 3 years yet, because although not perfect, in my estimate they equate to the other two choices at a resonable price. I tried the other two and I was not satisfied.
I understand your rant, but at least give the company a chance to correct an error.
JMHO
Happy Trails
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
You and I have very different ideas about what a "rant" is. The warning that I posted yesterday was nowhere near what I would call a rant.

I guess since you were overwhelmed by my "rant" you missed my point. Until it expires, I am currently a GS/CW presidents club member. Whether or not "free" shipping is worth the $10 has nothing to do with it. It was the merchandise total (the total cost of the 2 items I ordered) That changed after I clicked "place order".

My point is, we have a shopping cart with a total that I agree to pay. I put in my CC number, and click "place order". Now stay with me here. After the screen refreshes, I get a total charged to my CC that is $10 higher than the total in my cart. One can try to make any number of excuses for what happened, but to me, they stole $10 from me. They will not get the chance to do that again.

To me, a theif is a theif. Be it 10 cents, 10 dollars or 10 thousand dollars . It's like the old joke where the punch line is "we've already established what you are, I'm just trying to arrive at a price".
Was that the shipping that was added? If so then you agreed to pay it when you clicked on the place order button.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Last week CW had the best price I could find on lap sealant. And they offered free shipping even though I haven't been a GS member for years. For a lot of things though, a better deal can often be found elsewhere. It is the same with a lot of places.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #14

I purchased a 2 Yr PA membership last week and the next day I get my GS Highways Magazine and see that CW is offering $5 off on a 1 Yr. PA Memb.
Called the CW 800 # and sat on hold for 30+ min and finally gave and sent them an email asking if they would honor a refund. Got a reply about 3 days later saying they did not understand my request. In reality, it was not their problem after I thought about it so I replied and stated just that but that I was not happy with the response time to my original complaint. Long story short, they sent me a $10 merchandise certificate for my trouble.
I bought two covers for my roof AC,s from CW, their price was considerably less than anyone else and free shipping direct from Dometic. They are like any other store, if you don't like the price, go elsewhere.