Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #15

It is a GREAT idea even if not used for cash.
A MH safe needs to be BOLTED in place.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #16

Safe in RV

I have not dealt with a bank since 1975. My "bank" has been just this one good credit union (FCU) ever since.
Haven't been in a financial institution for over 15 years. Haven't used an ATM in over 10 years.
We have been fulltime for 3 years and have 2 each of debit and credit cards, so we are never without.
When one gets hacked, the FCU calls me to verify stuff. They close that card and send another. The hacked funds have never been withheld, ever!They are never even debited!
No fees of any kind from my FCU, ever! Banks will bleed you!
Cash? Cash back at the checkout!
For over 10 years now, everything is online, no muss, no fuss, no paper, no mail. We write checks about 2x per year; places that don't do CCs. Now, we even deposit (the rare) check via photo deposit. Nifty!
A safe? It's an empty one under the bed. But we don't have any Rolex or crown jewels, etc.
It is too easy to do it correctly, with full control, risk-free and without fees or delays.
Best wishes!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
Profile much?
I don't speak for others but yes I DO profile. I NEVER let my credit/debit card out of my sight. One of the EASIEST places to get your CC# stolen along with CCI number is with restaurants - got me once before the police tracked down the ring. My wife had her's stolen at a drive-in CVS.

Simple rule of thumb, I NEVER let my credit card leave my sight or use cash.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Our CC company thought our card was compromised even thou they called us while we were still at the store. I explained that yes we had made the purchases but they cancelled the card and sent us a new one. Only thing was we were over 3000 miles and 100 days away from returning home and no address to have the replacement card sent to....so this is the reason for back up cash.....
Some MH's come with a floor safe, it's permanently attached to the vehicle framework. I see no reason an aftermarket safe cannot be installed if you locate the right spot. Avoiding wiring, plumbing, and avoiding reducing structural integrity is paramount.
My wife has two small safes in storage, I've been thinking about installing one in our MH if I can locate the perfect spot.
We were in Alaska when Discover informed us our CC was de-activated because it was scammed while we were still in MT getting ready to leave on the caravan. We were sure glad DW had another CC held in reserve.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #19

I've never heard of a bank that wouldn't cover fradulant charges. You're not liable for them if you notify the bank in a reasonable timeframe. Normally, the bank notifies you first when it sees abnormal charges.

RE: a 'hidden' safe. Think of what would happen in a fire. There's no way you'd have time to get to the safe, open it and get out of the RV. RVs burn in minutes.

We also kept a 'to go' case near our front door to grab and run. In it were copies of important papers. Originals were stored off-site. We also kept a small amount of cash for emergency. We took that case with us if we needed RV maintenance done.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
I have one for my hand guns in my TT. It is bolted down in a hidden, but accessible location. I use it every trip.
I have a special safe made specifically for that, it was between the drivers seat and wall in the Dutch Star. The Magna has less space between the wall and seat and has a heated tile floor so I may not be able to use it. Darn, I really liked it there too. Very accessible but still safely locked if the laws call for that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:12 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Some MH's come with a floor safe, it's permanently attached to the vehicle framework. I see no reason an aftermarket safe cannot be installed if you locate the right spot. Avoiding wiring, plumbing, and avoiding reducing structural integrity is paramount.
That's the case with the Magna, but I do need to verify that it's bolted to the frame as it's on the floor of the closet, out in plain view when the door is opened. Some hide them under a floor panel or under a drawer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I bolted a small safe in mine too. The hard part is deciding where to mount it--unique to each coach and owner.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many of the "safe's" I have seen installed in motorhomes seem thin and easily entered, and more a lockbox than a safe. For thieves a safe becomes a target, and their locations installed in motorhomes by manufactures are no secret. However, we know our motorhomes better than anyone else, and there are places I am able to "stash" valuables that would be more difficult to find than a safe.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I don't speak for others but yes I DO profile. I NEVER let my credit/debit card out of my sight. One of the EASIEST places to get your CC# stolen along with CCI number is with restaurants - got me once before the police tracked down the ring. My wife had her's stolen at a drive-in CVS.

Simple rule of thumb, I NEVER let my credit card leave my sight or use cash.
All I'm saying is that all people who look or dress differently aren't necessarily criminals. The thief(s) who stole your card probably looked as normal as you or I. Nothing wrong with being cautious, but suspecting someone of being a criminal because they look or dress different is
wrong.

Sorry, end of off topic rant.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #25

Have a safe in my class a. Use it a lot. Kind of fun. Semi hidden. Yet easy access. I like having plenty of cash. You never know.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #26

I keep a heavy, waterproof/fireproof safe in the RV, and it's not that well hidden. Course its full of rocks. They see it, steal it, work hard to open it and have nothing. Did the same thing when we lived on our boat. Stolen once, but since I didn't lock the boat, no damage done to expensive windows and doors.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
RE: a 'hidden' safe. Think of what would happen in a fire. There's no way you'd have time to get to the safe, open it and get out of the RV. RVs burn in minutes.
Some safes are Fireproof for a certain temp for a certain length of time.
A you stated RVs burn fast. Way under the time Fireproof safes are good for.

I have 2 small ones inside a Fireproof file cabinet inside my MH.

They may contain a amount of cash to get me through any after hurricane.
Where a Debit or CC doesn't work good for you at places with no electric or phone services.

Also sometimes you can get a discount on monthly rates using cash.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
Profile much?
Yes I do and so far I haven't been disappointed. If people doing business with the public want to be taken seriously, they can dress appropriately.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote