Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One card for internet purchases, two cash back cards for gas, and another airline points card for misc. purchases. Each can be pressed into use in another category if needed. Debit card also, which is seldom used. Plus carry a few hundred in cash. Works for us, YMMV.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
How many folks have you talked to that have been robbed in their RV? In 16 years of full-timing we've never heard of a case, including our many boondocking acquaintances parked in remote places.
Fires? Yes. Robberies? No
It does happen. Just not often.
I have never talked to anyone that were in a Bank/store robbery either. But they do happen
Nov. 11 2014

Shot in a RV

RVer shot intruder

Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #45

Hardly typical RV park situations; not places I would ever be: hookers and pot pushers, on an in-town band touring bus, in a post hurricane residential area.
And a safe would not have had any bennefit to either case.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Not to hijack the thread....oh heck ...

Any good suggestions for a safe to install?
Airstream motorhomes came with a safe. The safe used a key. The key slot was brass and looked like it could be easily drilled out. One day as I was looking at the key slot, I noticed it had spring loaded pins in the key slot. If you drilled out the lock, the pins would jam the lid in place. This safe is one of the thickest and securest I have seen. I bought a 1985 airstream 345 that came with the safe. I really liked it. In 2003 I checked on the price of the safe and it was $225.00. This is a real safe and not a lock box.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
How many folks have you talked to that have been robbed in their RV? In 16 years of full-timing we've never heard of a case, including our many boondocking acquaintances parked in remote places.

Fires? Yes. Robberies? No
I know one. He arrived while the thief was in his MH. The thief got a lot of stuff, including the handgun he confronted the owner with while leaving. He did not have a safe or secure place to store valuables or handgun.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Not to hijack the thread....oh heck ...

Any good suggestions for a safe to install?
I use a Stack-ON Pistol drawer safe from Bass Pro. PN 1611121. Looks like it is on back order and may not be available any more. Im sure you can find something similar.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #49

Our 1989 Foretravel (and most Foretravel coaches) came with a large floor combination safe located under the passenger's feet, under the carpet. When the door is closed by dropping the noise can be heard quite a ways away. It is top quality, bolted to the metal compartment floor and would be almost impossible to lift out due to the sides being tight against the metal compartment walls.
It gets filled with Wisconsin air when we go south for the winter and filled with Texas air when we return in the spring.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a small very well hidden factory installed safe and always carry enough cash in it for park fees and fuel (for the cash discount). And jewelry or anything else of value goes in it, too. Carrying more than one CC is also a good idea.

And fire? If my rig ever caught fire the value of the safe's contents would be a very small percentage of the total loss (which would be covered by insured anyway), so I'm not at all worried.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #51

Safe in RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Our 1989 Foretravel (and most Foretravel coaches) came with a large floor combination safe located under the passenger's feet, under the carpet. When the door is closed by dropping the noise can be heard quite a ways away. It is top quality, bolted to the metal compartment floor and would be almost impossible to lift out due to the sides being tight against the metal compartment walls.
It gets filled with Wisconsin air when we go south for the winter and filled with Texas air when we return in the spring.

Good one! Mine is open under the bed. By the time the once in a trillion chance of a hoodlum shows up where WE are and doesn't rile a bunch of the neighbors dogs, and breaks the deadbolt that is politely illuminated by pack rat preventing rope lites, and removes the hunnert or so lbs on top of the safe, the perp will be greeted by an open box, and is welcome to the contents. It gets new air whenever we lift the bed. Has Flagstaff air there now; September.
My Weber is on table next to my Coleman.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #52

Open the thread "broken in to" in this forum.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #53

Safe in RV

Nasty situation. Good storage place is important. Stored mine winters for 19 years. Good security and lots of cams.
This thread is safes. I have one. Not even a good boat anchor.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Hardly typical RV park situations; not places I would ever be: hookers and pot pushers, on an in-town band touring bus, in a post hurricane residential area.
And a safe would not have had any bennefit to either case.
You would be amazed at how close many of us may have been to a situation like this without even knowing, where a crime occurs/could have occurred in a usually quiet nice CG or State Park ect. So I wouldn't say you would never end up in a place like that. I have a safe as I too like to carry cash and personal protection ect., and it gives me peace of mind even though I probably don't really need it. There are plenty of hiding places in my MH the crooks won't have the time to find. But if you think the crooks only stay in the seedy part of town, or the cheap CG's then you may not be really paying attention and letting your guard down. Crooks generally don't go to the low income areas to steal things of value(because there are none) that can easily be pawned or traded for drugs, they go to where they can take their best chance for a good haul.

We were staying in the Pismo Beach State Campground(the nice one next to Pismo Coast Village) last May, camped right next to a huge Boy Scout Jamboree when a campsite full of homeless people decided to get drunk and fight. Two people ended up getting stabbed and there were enough drugs found to be considered they were for sales( being retired Law Enforcement the local Cops tend to share info with you). I would assume the fight started over the drug dealing.

Anyway it can happen anywhere, my motto has always been do the best you can to protect yourself from being a victim, while still being able to enjoy the Camping experience and great outdoors. And if it never happens then all the better. The only thing we have ever had stolen in over 50 years of boat camping and RV'ing has been an ice chest full of meat, so really can't complain.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #55

Safe in RV

Pismo Beach is not on my list of places to stop.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html
You are correct that anything can happen anywhere. I like to keep much more than even odds. And old quirk of mine!
I am 8 miles outside of Tucson. This season so far a bicycle was stolen. It wasn't locked up.
My safe is still open and empty.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I am thinking of putting a safe in my rv to carry cash in. Has any one else done this or is it a dumb idea?
We have the factory safe and a second safe we added during the remodel. We use them both. All kinds of things get stowed there (passports, cameras, backup thumbdrives, spare keys, etc). \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote