Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-20-2015, 05:13 AM   #57
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a wall safe in a hidden location in our motorhome. It's not the most secure thing out there, but it would take some effort to open it, after the thief finds it.
I did this after one of our cards was compromised while on a trip to Grand Canyon. It occurred to us that we could have been stuck without anything to get home on. I now carry enough cash with in the safe for gas and living expenses in case it happens again.

Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #58
Ours came with a safe from the factory.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #59
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Nothing wrong with using common sense and taking whatever precautions you feel are necessary.

As far as profiling. No one is suggesting to go up to the person and telling them what you think of their appearance. If you feel they look like they might be untrustworthy, then just keep that in the back of your mind. No one's feelings are hurt. Profiling is under-rated. Sometime you gotta go with your gut.
Ken & Laurie
Northern Ohio
2015 Berkshire 400QL
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #60
Wink Here is mine

I recently installed this inexpensive ($69 at Home Depot), safe in the bottom of our closet. It is through bolted from the bottom with 5/16" bolts, 1.5" flat washers (top and bottom). To even get at the bolts would take some serious effort/disassembly.

I know this is a lightweight safe and have no doubt that someone with a couple of crow bars could probably defeat it but... it is better than no safe at all. A miscreant on a quick snatch and run mission will probably be defeated unless he has some serious tools and lots of time. When our coach is in storage there is nothing in the safe and I leave the door open so as not to invite needless damage. When we are on the road we don't carry much cash but it provides convenient secure storage for the checkbook, a little cash, prescription meds etc..

In the 13 states that do not honor the reciprocity of my Arizona concealed carry permit the safe provides a legally secure place to store an unloaded firearm.

2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #61
Forgot to add pic. Stock from factory.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #62
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Pismo Beach is not on my list of places to stop.
Crime rate in Pismo Beach, California (CA): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics
You are correct that anything can happen anywhere. I like to keep much more than even odds. And old quirk of mine!
I am 8 miles outside of Tucson. This season so far a bicycle was stolen. It wasn't locked up.
My safe is still open and empty.
I was just using Pismo Beach as an example, but the North Campground and Pismo Coast Village side are way better than the south strand of State and private campgrounds in the Pismo Beach area. I have several LE friends who live in the Tuscon area and I'm sure I could come up with the same examples of crooks praying on honest law abiding citizens there. I like you do not worry about what happens when I am in the MH because my odds are way better than the crooks. I think this thread is referring to when you are away from your MH on a day trip, walk, or any variety of reasons where people see you leave and decide to help themselves.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #63
A solution that Wells Fargo worked out with us is a second debit card, same bank account, that we use when traveling and stop at a hole in the wall, we use the second card. We bank online so we can add $$$ To that card. If it becomes compromised it is cancelled and we use the other. If our regular card becomes compromised we cancel it and use the other. My wife's card # is also separate. Since we have done this we have not had a problem as far as not being able to use the debit card. Rather do this than carry a lot of cash.

If your card is compromised you can also go into any branch for a temporary card if need be.

Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote