Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #1

Talking Safe in RV

I am getting to where I do not like to use one of my CARDS to make purchases at seedy looking fuel stations and stores so I am thinking of putting a safe in my rv to carry cash in. Has any one else done this or is it a dumb idea?
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
I am getting to where I do not like to use one of my CARDS to make purchases at seedy looking fuel stations and stores so I am thinking of putting a safe in my rv to carry cash in. Has any one else done this or is it a dumb idea?
I prefer using my card and not carrying a bunch of cash. If your card gets hacked all you need to do is call and the card issuer will not hold you responsible for fraudulent purchases then send you a new card. It is easy to monitor your activities and see if anything is going on that is not correct.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Just keep an eye on your card statement. The DW checks hers daily. Also, don't just leave the card in the hands of a clerk with lip and nose rings and purple spiked hair. Give them whatever they think they need to start the pump, then go back in with the credit card to pay. If they will only start the pump if they hold onto the card, drive away.

Another option is to purchase low denomination Visa/Mastercard gift cards. Carrying a boat load of cash is the last resort, especially since you've already told the world of your plans.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Our CC company thought our card was compromised even thou they called us while we were still at the store. I explained that yes we had made the purchases but they cancelled the card and sent us a new one. Only thing was we were over 3000 miles and 100 days away from returning home and no address to have the replacement card sent to....so this is the reason for back up cash.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Safe in RV

As said, use the CC, easy to monitor online. It does sound like soon they will have a chip embedded and that will be more secure. I am also thinking of using Apple Pay. I would think that cash would be a big temptation if someone were to find out you are carrying a bunch.

I had been hacked twice in the last 3 years, and I think each time it was at a certain gas station in Florida. We could never prove it was the place. Each time I got a text message alert and then had to get a new card.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After reading about "asset forfeiture" escapades, I am hesitant to carry large sums of money when traveling. Here is just one story:
Salisbury man escapes asset forfeiture snafu, recoups $19K | The Herald-Sun
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Bob Vaughn Hi Bob, I am NOT a Banking Expert! But what money I have "I NEED". i have accounts with Credit Unions (Military Affiliated). I have ONE Debit Card that I transfer money into for purchases on our trips. DW has one also, same bank, different account. We keep enough money in each for our expenses. If one gets compromised, or as what happened to me a few months ago, (I left it on the gas pump) . Hup Major Brain Fart!!!... We can get a replacement and move on. Yes we do carry some cash, but primarily for City/County Fairs and such things where its handy.
Well that’s what we do. Travel Safe & Be Happy...

PS: We keep the Credit Union (USAA) informed of our travel arrangements, You would be surprised how close they watch that...
Old 02-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought one at Harbor Freight but never got around to bolting it down. Took it out of the Dutch Star yesterday because the Magna has one in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #9

I have one for my hand guns in my TT. It is bolted down in a hidden, but accessible location. I use it every trip.
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #10

Two credit cards and one debit card. If one gets hacked I start using the other one and notify the credit union. They always refund the money and send me a new card.

I went to work in New Jersey just after Hurricane Sandy and when I tried to charge the first weeks hotel room the card was rejected. I found out someone had charged $11,127.65 on the card all within 1 hour just before midnight on a Friday. The thief's knew CVS Pharmacy backed their computers up then and the computers did not contact VISA until midnight. When the computer did contact VISA the card was automatically locked. They hit 6 CVS stores in the New York area making 27 charges all within that hour. Police said it was a gang who probably bought that card number along with hundreds more, maybe months before, or maybe someone at the airport stole it by scanning my wallet as I walked pasted them! Or could be a waiter/waitress who stole the number when they took the card from my table to run the charges.

In any case, the bank/credit union can overnight the card to you no matter where you are. My card left Kentucky at 4 PM, and the next day by 2 PM I had it in New Jersey!

I hardly ever use cash, and usually have less than $20 with me!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Also, don't just leave the card in the hands of a clerk with lip and nose rings and purple spiked hair
Profile much?
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use cash. Had one of our cards compromised. Carry only $200 at a time in my pocket keep a stash in the safe and pay cash for fuel. If The safe runs low I go to an ATM. This way I am always in control
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Do not use a debit card....they are tied directly to your checking / savings accounts!!! If compromised, the unauthorized dollar amount charged will be "locked", as in, you can't use that money until your banking institution releases your liability...which can take a "few" days OR more. Use a credit card instead to keep your banking accounts out of play. Been there done that.

Jaye(mn)
Mnflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #14

Some banks debit cards will not cover losses from fraudulent purchases. Make sure you know your banks policies.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote