Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

Safe place to store laptop

We are going on an extended trip and was wondering what everyone does with their computer when they park the RV and take the toad to visit local attractions. I always lock everything up tight when I leave but there is always the possibility of a brake in. Do you leave stuff like computers behind or take it with you?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As a fulltimer, everything gets left behind.

I always close all the curtains, shades, etc to keep it all out of sight when I'm away.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #3

I try to keep everything "looking normal", leave curtains, shades open. I leave things laying around, but no cameras, computers, or other valuable things. Bury those in places that thieves would have to work for.
wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #4

CG break ins are very rare. We always put my computer back in the case and out of sight. The doors are locked to keep out honest people. The crooks will find your laptop no matter were you hid it! I would not worry.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I hope the crooks aren't reading this thread.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our anti theft device is our Akita who stays quiet and just growls very deep when anyone come near the coach , people hear that and can't tell what is behind the door. Other than that he is a big puppy.
http://rayandpamtaylor.multiply.com/...album%2F20%231
RayandPamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
No matter what you do to protect yourself from theft, if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it. "Out of sight, Out of mind." is probably the best motto to practice for all your valuables.

As for the laptop, are you concerned about it being stolen, someone getting at some sensitive data on it or both? While there's not much you can do if the laptop's stolen, you can help protect yourself from the theft of sensitive data by not keeping it on your laptop in the first place. I no longer keep sensitive data (i.e. Quicken, TurboTax, password files, documents) on my computers any more. I keep these files on USB flash drives (using one for the live files and another for backup) and I only plug them into the computer when I need them. The flash drives can easily be hidden almost anywhere and, in the unlikely event that someone does steal your laptop, they'll probably assume your sensitive data is already on it and won't bother (or have the time) to find where the flash drives are hidden.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think you can find a "safe" place to hide items in a RV. (MH or Trailer) You insurance is as good as your homeowners insurance, unless you have made special provisions for alternate type of insurance to cover contents if stolen.

There is no locked door than cannot be opened by a determined theif. Motor Home doors are capable of being opened with nothing more than a large flat blad screwdrivers. The only thing the MH owner gains is the signs of forced entry.

It would take a thief, or pair of thieves, only a few minutes (2-3) to open every cabinet and closet door inside your unit. It is very unfortunate that we have to worry about thieves at all, but with the times being what they are, we do.

The dog deterrent is a very good plus. Any thief that enters an area that dogs are in is taking a big chance, especially if the growl or bark indicates the presence of a big dog. However, little dogs make a lot of noise and may alert neighbors.

Speaking of noise, if you are really paranoid, and do not have a pet attack dog, you can by a simple motion detector, rigged off of your batter, with an outside alarm. Place it in a position that it will not be triggered by outside movement. Thieves will pass by just about every position in the RV. Noise is a very good deterrent. Theives just don't like it, as are all lights lighting up at night. If you do have a noise maker, make sure your neighbors are aware of it, and have one that will silent itself after a few minutes. You don't need a lot of time for the thieves to flee.

Now basement areas are a different thing. Here is a scenario. A thief, for some reason, knows there is a good grill in one basement compartment. He sneeaks in at night, and pops the lock, a very simple thing to do. The noise awakens the beast and he alerts you that something is wrong. You get up, check the intereior, and nothing is amiss. Okay, maybe, just maybe, you go outside and walk around, but dont see anything visible. You can't see that the lock has been jimmied. So, back to bed. Thirty minutes later the thief comes back, raises the basement door, grabs the grill and runs off. All the noise in the world, or all the inside attack dogs are not going to prevent the thievery.

So how far do you go to protect your property?

p.s., take a video of everything in the RV. Open all cupboards and closets and take a video. Video all basement areas. Make a copy of the video, or do it twice. Leave one at home, or with a relative and put the other in your glove box, or other area of you TOAD or TV. "If" the dreaded day occurs, you will have a video list of what you have lost. It will help in your insurance claim.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
CG break ins are very rare. We always put my computer back in the case and out of sight. The doors are locked to keep out honest people. The crooks will find your laptop no matter were you hid it! I would not worry.
Ditto. If they want in their going to get in, simple as that. Also in 25+ yr. of RVing We have NEVER had anything come up missing & We leave somethings like grill etc. out when We are gone doing things, nothing has ever been stolen. (We must live right) We have RVed in numerous States also no problems.
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As said, locks are only there to keep honest people honest. A thief will only be slowed down very slightly by most locks. So we keep anything of value out of sight. The lap top goes in it's case and tucked away.

The things you can not hide are TV's, stereos, DVD equipment, etc.

Basically do not go around flashing fancy toys and jewelery and do not attract attention to your rig.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our present rig has a "safe" built into the rig. We have never used it and probably the less knowledgeable thief would not know where it is. I don't think the "safe" would hold a laptop.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #12

when I leave the Rv for awhile I lock it up and leave the radio on makes the would be thiefs wonder if someone is in there
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A dog dish by the steps, a leash on the handle & a huge chew toy nearby will give most thieves pause!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #14

Thumbs up Everything is relative ..

I think my "stuff" is safer in my motorhome than it would be in my tow car parked at attractions.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote