Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Safe to spray fridge vent?

Is it safe to send some wasp spray up the fridge vent? Safe meaning I wont ruin anything under there. Learning all about the RV. Got TT in October been covered since and starting to work on it. Before I take vent cover off would like to spray the nest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge vent.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	238653  
Joe442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wouldn't think it would cause any issues. I would't over do it though. Squirt and run!

I bought some stainless screens from Amazon to cover the reefer and furnace vents for that very reason. Check and make sure the top screen is still in place.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #3

Dont know how flammable the killer spray might be. You might want to turn the fridge OFF during the spraying. Dont forget to turn it back on when done.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #4

Never spray an aerosol into an open flame area--turn the fridge off gas if on...other that than, won't hurt anything. I used wire cloth to cover the vent openings on my last fiver with the RV fridge--worked well.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #5

DO you really want that sticking spray all over the backside of fridge......wiring, propane lines, cover on circuit board...circuit board cause cover is NOT completely sealed etc

If you have an actual NEST...call a bee keeper. He can smoke them out and remove the nest
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Wouldn't think it would cause any issues. I would't over do it though. Squirt and run!

I bought some stainless screens from Amazon to cover the reefer and furnace vents for that very reason. Check and make sure the top screen is still in place.
Our refer manufacturer specifically warns against putting screen in the openings. It reduces airflow. Back when refrigerator vents were on the roof and the flow was better I think it was probably ok. Now that many refers are in the slide out and are side vented any restriction to airflow is not a good thing.

A tip that solves the problem I learned on this forum several years ago that really works is to put a cat flea collar in the compartment. The first time I did it as I replaced the vent panel an very unhappy wasp came out at me thru the vent slot. I change it a few times each season. Never had a bee in there since.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 AM   #7

Depending on where you live the bees may still be dormant. In that case you can remove the cover and scrape the nest out (if you can reach it). Otherwise judicious spraying should work. Just be sure to completely shut down the fridge and leave off until spray has completely evaporated.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Joe442, good on you for cleaning out the back side of the fridge.
I see you are in NY, those bees should be pretty groggy early in the cool morning. Maybe just clean them out then.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would remove the access door and squirt exactly where you want, not just at random through the holes!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Joe442, good on you for cleaning out the back side of the fridge.
I see you are in NY, those bees should be pretty groggy early in the cool morning. Maybe just clean them out then.
Happy Glamping.
Actually haven't seen any yet but it is getting to the low 50s here.

I did spray it. If you look close at the pic in my first post here you can barely see it through the vent holes. So I only sprayed where I saw the nest. Taking vent cover off tomorrow.

I like the screen idea mentioned by egwilly.
Joe442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #11

All of mine are screened off.....even the A/C shroud....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #12

I used to deal with these little devils quite a bit at work. Read the can carefully and it will tell you if it can be used around possible ignition sources. I'd say no, because all the wasp sprays I've used have a petroleum carrier. They can leave an oily residue and stink for quite a while. I'm talking about the wasp jet sprays.

Your best bet is to strike in the dead of night, the colder the better and knock the nest down and step on it. If I see what I think I see in your photo, it looks like a European paper wasp. They make an open faced paper nest.

My last few years of pest control work I almost never used wasp spray to deal with these nests. I just got them when they were sleeping. Worst comes to worst, if you aren't comfortable with hand to hand combat, since it looks like the nest is right at the opening give it a shot with a household flying insect spray like Raid or Black Flag. Don't hose it.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

If the hornets are active (usually mid/late summer), then cover the vent hole with a pre-cut piece of duct tape, remove the cover screws and let the cover fall to the ground and get out of there fast. After things calm down, you can go back and spray the nest directly. I actually found that WD-40 will kill them the fastest.
If you are in NY, then the adults are dead from the winter frost and only the larva are in the nest which can't hurt you until they mature in late spring. Just remove the nest and stomp on it.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
When they start to fly, get a spray can of brake cleaner. Lots of fun shooting them out of the air.
They are dead before they hit the ground!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, vent