Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Safe water pressure

While staying in a very nice COE park we noticed the water pressure was great. I have one of those regulators that restricts the flow to 40-50lbs but always found that it restricted is so much that even the kitchen faucet would not stay on spray and jump back to stream.

So of course the regulator was not on the spigot and one day I hear POP then splash. The cap holding the diverter valve in that switches the flow from normal to fill tank blew. A trip to an RV dealer and $15 fixed it. They did not have a 90 valve but the guts in a 180 they had were the same. Fixed!

So after this disaster we bought another pressure regulator after trying CLR on the old one thinking it might just be clogged. Nope, still not enough pressure for me. So the next option might be one of the more expensive adjustable regulators or see if I can make something up from the hardware store.

Long story short. How much pressure is safe?

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
From what I understand, the RV systems don't like anything over 45 # pressure.
Personally, I'm using a preset regulator but seriously thinking about an adjustable one.
Hope this helps you out.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe water pressure

I've heard that mfg test the pressure to upwards of 100 PSI but personally , I would not go above 55. If your kitchen faucet is not getting enough flow , it most likely is the problem as 40, 50 or 55 should be plenty for any RV. I always set mine to 50.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bought a watts home style regulator at Home Depot several years ago the ones that look like a cone with a screw adjustment on top and while bulky it's worked like a champ. No restrictions in the flow.i put hose fittings on mine but you can buy ones designed for Rv use ( just more costly) I've been told 50-60 psi is at the top end to be safe on the fittings ,the pex pipe Itself can withstand much more. Those cheap in line hose Rv regulators are junk imo they all restrict the flow
Old 04-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe water pressure

This is the watts regulator that I had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462031030.905215.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	125646

It's a 263a and I purchased it from this company who were great to buy from and I would highly recommend them.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
While staying in a very nice COE park we noticed the water pressure was great. I have one of those regulators that restricts the flow to 40-50lbs but always found that it restricted is so much that even the kitchen faucet would not stay on spray and jump back to stream.

So of course the regulator was not on the spigot and one day I hear POP then splash. The cap holding the diverter valve in that switches the flow from normal to fill tank blew. A trip to an RV dealer and $15 fixed it. They did not have a 90 valve but the guts in a 180 they had were the same. Fixed!

So after this disaster we bought another pressure regulator after trying CLR on the old one thinking it might just be clogged. Nope, still not enough pressure for me. So the next option might be one of the more expensive adjustable regulators or see if I can make something up from the hardware store.

Long story short. How much pressure is safe?
HD4Mark
If your coach has a pressure regulator built into the water hose inlet adding a second regulator in the hose can cause the flow problem you describe.

My water inlet is one like this with a 65 PSI pressure regulator built in:

Shurflo City Water Entry/Pressure Regulator

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Residential and most if not all RV appliances and faucets are good to 85 psi. Winnebago tests the system at 85 psi. My Watts whole house regulator for the RV was set to 65 psi (which Winnebago customer service said was fine) and we spent months at a time in a couple of places where the supply pressure was well over 65 psi so 65 psi was the RV saw. We had no problems.

Our town water pressure is about 135 psi and most folks use a Watts or similar whole house regulator and the local plumbing techs set them at 65 psi.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks all. Some good info. The faucet is getting new cartridge because it leaks out just a little when shutting it off. I don't think that is the flow problem though as the shower doesn't have much pressure either.

I will be getting some sort of new regulator soon. Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the adjustable Valterra, and I have it set to 55 PSI. The cheap $9 regulators from WalMart didn't allow enough flow to get a good stream at the sink faucet, but the $55 Valterra does.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I have the adjustable Valterra, and I have it set to 55 PSI. The cheap $9 regulators from WalMart didn't allow enough flow to get a good stream at the sink faucet, but the $55 Valterra does.
My dad always said "you get what you pay for". As usual he was right.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, one design is cheap and easy to make, and doesn't allow good flow, and the other design is more difficult and costly to make and allows good flow across the allowed pressure. Some of the higher cost is the pressure meter that is included, too. I do know I can open two faucets with the more expensive regulator and get good flow.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In a water system there is a difference between flow and pressure! Flow is how much water comes through. Pressure is how hard it's pushed.
Most of the so called "pressure regulators" restrict the flow too much.
You really need something like the Watts pressure regulator that has been pictured earlier.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mark, your problem may have been low flow rate instead of low pressure. Take a look at the link below. This pressure regulator gives you full throughput from the spigot while maintaining 55 PSI pressure!

Love my new pressure regulator & gauge!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #14

I've been using one of these for about 15 years. First one lasted 10 years.

DIG 28-60 psi Adjustable Pressure Regulator-PRV075 - The Home Depot

Tags
water, water pressure