Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I don't know how it works internally, but it does work.
As JimM68 stated, it has narrow passages that restrict the flow. That has somewhat the same effect as reducing pressure, but, as you have found, the narrow passages plug up. I got tired of replacing them once or twice a year so paid $40 for the whole house Watts 7 years ago, and it still works great.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s not my intention to hijack this thread, but I have some questions. My chief complaint with my coach has always been low water pressure.

Several years ago, several members of this forum said it was safe to go up to 60psi. I then bought the Valterra (pictured below) which allowed me to go as high as I wanted.

According to the RV Water Store website, it is safe to go as high as 85psi. I don’t want to risk damage, so I thought I was being conservative at 60. Several of you still think that is too high.

Increasing the setting on my Valterra regulator to 60psi has helped, but only marginally. Now I am wondering if one of the Watts regulators would give me better pressure. What do you guys think?

"webslave" mentioned the Watts 263A. The RV Water Filter Store lists about 6 different styles of the 263A.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
I got the Watts H560 and it didn't last long. The whole house type from Lowes, etc are an entirely different animal. You need to realize also that what most of us see as low pressure is more a low volume problem. A narrow pipe can provide less volume than a wide pipe. You can't realistically do much abot the 1/2" tubing in your RV, but you CAN do something about flow restrictors in faucets/shower heads, the typical 1/2" fresh water hose from the hydrant to your RV, flow restrictros vs pressure regulators, water filters, etc. If I cannot look completely through the bore of a "regulator," I don't want it.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #32

Pressure regulators are a good idea and help prevent damage during a spike, but I set mine for about 65 psi and haven't had any problems. My water pump puts out that much pressure! The best protection is to turn off the water when you are away. That's a sure fire way to protect that cheap RV hose, faucets, and toilets from exploding, although with thousands of RV's around it seems to be pretty rare. Most mfgs seem to be using the same materials used in the housing market without issue.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #33

The RV Water Filter Store sells the aforementioned Watts 263A in five different "flavors". All of them have the same 263A regulator, but, as the price goes up on the various models, so do the options you get.

1) You can get the 263A stripped...just the regulator

2) You can get the 263A with a low priced gauge

3) You can get the 263A with a low priced gauge and the SS hardware

4) You can get the 263A with a higher priced SS oil filled gauge without the SS hardware

5) And then the Top-of-the-Line 263A with the higher priced SS oil filled gauge and the SS hardware kit

The stainless steel parts will reduce corrosion (won't stop it completely; dissimilar metals are going to corrode, but, SS makes it a "long term" process), the oil filled gauge is a more professional and reliable gauge and will give you better, consistent readings.

Any of the 263A units are great, but, I've never figured out why you would want one without any gauge, but, they offer it that way. I've got the "Top-of-the-Line" unit and have had it for years. No corrosion, very consistent readings, no leaks and I've never had to do any maintenance aside from replacing the intake screen every couple of years (I could clean them, but, you can get a 10 pack of the things at the hardware store for a couple of bucks...)

Somebody asked about "set-up".... Put the regulator on the spigot at the pedestal; everything hangs off of it. I knew a guy one time, a newbie, years ago, that put it at the trailer and ran his hose up to it (wanted to protect the trailer, right?). He went away for just a couple of hours and didn't turn his water off (only a couple of hours; actually about an hour and a half) only to come back to his hose blown off the pedestal connection with water merrily flowing all over the ground... Yes, I was embarrassed, learned my lesson well. Had to go buy a new hose, stand in the lake to put the regulator on the pedestal and then the hose... Put the regulator on the pedestal and protect all of your water equipment
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Craig and others....This is how I mounted mine. One side is supported by the plumbing, the other side (water connection) I made a bracket to support the other side (visible in second photo). I added a manual water reel in another equipment bay and used a run of pvc pipe to the utility bay.

I run 65 psi on mine, since my water pump is rated at 65 psi. I bought my regulator in Quartzsite from the RV Water Filter Store (the $69.95 model) http://http://www.rvwaterfilterstore...Regulators.htm
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #35
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Craig and others.......Here are a couple of photos of how I connected my regulator. I bought a regulator from the RV Water Filter Store who has a booth every year at Quartzsite. I bought the $69.95 model with gauge RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

My water pump is rated at 65psi so I set my regulator to 65 psi.

The regulator is supported on the right by the plumbing. I made a bracket to support the regulator on the left side.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water