Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Senior Member
tedward1555's Avatar
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 360
Safety and Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Hi All;
I was awakened early this morning with the alarm of my CO detector going off. I pushed the red light once and it stopped for about 5 minutes. Then it started back and I could not get it to stop at all. Being a newbie I was of course scared to death.... also sleepy and cold. For some reason I made an executive decision that it was faulty and cut the wire to stop power getting to it, and removed the battery. I then opened a few windows slightly and tried to turn on "electric heat" thinking it was the gas furnaces if something was wrong. I then find out that fleetwood has some kind of override in the heat system that overrides your decision of "electric heat" and switches back to furnace. Anyway that's another issue. We are still alive and well this morning and I'm not sure what to do next. I assume after reading a few threads about the issue I should replace the alarm as it is probably faulty... but if not, what are the different causes of CO in a motorhome and what experiences/fixes have you all had?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Also, which brand detector is best? I want one with a read out so I can see if it is a false alarm or not.

P.S. Mark it is an 08 Fleetwood, first titled 7/16/08 so it probably is time to replace it... I'm going to get one today with an actual readout on it so I can see if in fact there is Carbon Monoxide in the RV.

tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
HD4Mark's Avatar
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cicero, NY
Posts: 2,750
How old is it Ed? They have replacement dates stuck on them somewhere.

We had a similar scare with an LP gas detector. Started going off, we freak out of course. We don't smell gas but naturally go through the whole open all of the windows routine. Wait a while close everything up and plug in the LP detector and it starts again. Finally after going nuts trying to figure out where the leak is decide the detector is having a problem. It was direct wired to the rig so it was not a battery problem. After leaving it unplugged for a long time it got over whatever was bothering it.

While I was putting things away in the new MH one of the alarms starts chirping. Turns out to be the carbon monoxide alrarm. No big deal I go get a new battery. Still chirps. The MH is in storage in next to the garage for 19 more days (not that we are counting) and it is freezing here as usual. I brought the detector in the house and it quit so I am guessing the battery or detector does not like the cold.

They are quirky sometimes but the battery operated ones are cheap enough so I figure if it acts up when we get ready to go I am just replacing it.

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
tedward1555's Avatar
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 360
Mark, it's an 08 Fleetwood just about 1.5 years old.
and thanks for the info.
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 799
CO is odorless and this is something you don't want to play with. What if the odds are only 10% that you have a CO problem? That's a 10% chance you're going to die. Call the local fire department and ask them to come to your motorhome and run a CO test. They will be happy to do that.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 16,436
You should not need to replace a CO detector after 1.5 years. Should last 5 years easily and many last 10.

CO is not something to gamble on - it is the colorless, odorless killer and you won't even know you are dying.

A faulty LP furnace can leak CO into the interior, though it may take sometime to accumulate enough to set the alarm off.

If your thermostat is set 5 or more degrees above the actual interior temperature, the furnace will come on in addition to the heat pump. Turn the t-stat down a bit if you want electric only.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
tedward1555's Avatar
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 360
Thanks everyone, just got back from Home Depot with a Kidde CO Alarm. This one plugs into an outlet with a battery backup and the current level reading is 0. So I assume it was a faulty alarm. I like this one so I can actually get a read out on the CO ppm. Anything less than 30ppm on this one registers a 0. So I assume that's pretty sensitive. Been plugged in about an hour with the gas furnaces running and not a problem. Thanks for everyone's concern and knowledge. I don't want CO to interfere with the fun we are having in our lives now that we are living the rv lifestyle. Great to have this forum to lean on.

tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installation of Onan Energy Command in Adventurer bsmith8 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 87 09-15-2008 03:25 PM
Generator safety & security RobCN 5th Wheel Discussion 8 08-26-2007 04:22 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.