Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #15

Nuclear, we're cg hosts and we like it. We could write the sequel to the movie "RV" every week! It's amazing what we see.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you see the driver in the convertable which is passing you texting.

SLOW DOWN
Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take it slow

As I get older I find that I have to remind myself to slow down. Not driving but just doing chores around the coach and the campsite. Many times people get caught up in the moment of camping and rush about trying to get everything done in record time so they can relax and socialize. The last thing I want to do on vacation is spend time in a out of state or city E.R. getting stitched up or a cast put on a fracture from rushing about and not thinking things thru before doing them. I read many seasoned members here have check lists they follow for set-up and break-down of their camp sites. I think they may be on to something. So next time your trying to satisfy everyone's needs remember that possible trip to the E.R. In that out of way unknown town. Then think about how much time you saved. Just my 2 cents. Happy travels.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Nuclear, we're cg hosts and we like it. We could write the sequel to the movie "RV" every week! It's amazing what we see.
We are also campground hosts, but we always offer to help.

If help is refused we know we are in for a show, sometimes good with skilled participants, and some times not so good!

Either way, it is entertaining.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #19

Drive like every driver within sight is going to do the dumbest thing possible, and be prepared to react accordingly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #20

If your wife yells STOP consider immediately ceasing to back into the camp site. Don't wait for her to yell it a third time.

Low hanging limb almost took out one of our A/Cs this past week. He heard me yell all three times but said I was "waving him back". No, that was me waving my arms up in down in a panic after he did not stop the first two times I yelled it.

I love my DH. I just have not decided how to define the D this week. ;-)
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I have found that prevention and watchfulness take care of most issues. I have a specific walk around process before leaving for a trip, when arriving at a camp site (before pulling or backing in), when leaving camp and when arriving home.

I visualize and touch bay doors, slides, antenna handles, etc.

Also, x2 on chock your wheels. Unchocked vehicles may take a notion to go wandering...
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
A relative of a friend of ours was in Yuma for the winter. They had a bunch of those yard art metal bird and animal sculptures around their site. He was doing something in his site and tripped and fell on one of these things. A trip to emerg. and several stitches and a whopping infection later, I would bet those things are now gone. Food for thought.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #23

New Horizons Owners Club
Coming down the back ladder of our 5er, my wedding ring caught on the corner of a step just as I hopped off the bottom step. I was lucky that it only cut me bad, but my finger stayed on. I am more careful where I wear my wedding ring now.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #24

The one thing I make a point of protecting is my eyes. I always have safety glasses or goggles on when doing things that deal with chipping or compressed air.

An eye injury will end a RV lifestyle immediately...you do need both eyes to drive safely.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
Coming down the back ladder of our 5er, my wedding ring caught on the corner of a step just as I hopped off the bottom step. I was lucky that it only cut me bad, but my finger stayed on. I am more careful where I wear my wedding ring now.
Gah! I only read the first part of your post and when I got to "wedding ring caught" I was expecting to hear the worst! Glad you made it with only a bad cut.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #26

The truck is started, the DW is on board with her door shut and I get out and do a walk around checking power cord, chocks, water connection, antenna down, manual crank corner feet up, electric hitch jack up all the way and hitch block stowed, hitch hooked up properly and step retracted, all doors closed and locked. No different than in aviation doing a walk around checking things in an orderly manner.
If you do it every time, the same way every time, you will notice something a miss right away. It has to be the last item AFTER everyone is on board and you are ready to put the truck in gear.
BTW, almost lost my finger to a wedding ring 40 yrs ago coming down a ladder on a Boeing 707. Haven't worn one since.
Backing in, if it's tight get out every ONE (1) foot of backing and go look yourself. I've been known to get out 20 times in one stop. Now if I had one of my competent aircraft mechanics guiding me back I'd never get out, never got out backing a Boeing on the ramp, even a 747 :-) :-)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #27

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
As I get older I find that I have to remind myself to slow down. Not driving but just doing chores around the coach and the campsite. Many times people get caught up in the moment of camping and rush about trying to get everything done in record time so they can relax and socialize. The last thing I want to do on vacation is spend time in a out of state or city E.R. getting stitched up or a cast put on a fracture from rushing about and not thinking things thru before doing them. I read many seasoned members here have check lists they follow for set-up and break-down of their camp sites. I think they may be on to something. So next time your trying to satisfy everyone's needs remember that possible trip to the E.R. In that out of way unknown town. Then think about how much time you saved. Just my 2 cents. Happy travels.
Ditto on the slow down and be thorough! I'm going to air my dirty laundry so be kind.

We were vendors at "The Rally" in Louisville a couple years ago. Tear down day was close to 100 degrees. Tired, hot, cranky, and in a hurry, I backed the motorhome up to our fully loaded trailer to hook up so we could start the trip home. Picture the madhouse around the loading docks with hundreds of vendors all trying to leave at the same time. As we pulled out from the loading dock, she asked "Did you hook the safety chains?" "Yes" I replied. "Did you hook up the brakes?" " Yes." She never asked if I closed the latch on the hitch........ 300 miles later that night when I went to unhitch, I nearly had heart failure when I saw that we had just gone 300 miles with the trailer unlatched....!!!! (Obviously had plenty of tongue weight.)

We dodged a bullet. Someone was certainly watching down over us.

Slow down.
Check everything twice.
Use checklists. (Pilots use them for a reason, so should we.)
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #28
Commercial Member

i carry a very large fire extinguisher, a very large supply of tools and parts, and all my ammunition in one box for easy removal. other than that, try to use common sense in all things
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, safety