Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for taking the time to put the list together
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Many companies now forbid their drivers from using the head light to signal when it's safe to pull back in (perceived liability).
I think the article is a little dated in the information given.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Many companies now forbid their drivers from using the head light to signal when it's safe to pull back in (perceived liability).
I think the article is a little dated in the information given.
You may be right, but it has been my experience that truckers still acknowledge other truckers and not 4 wheelers or RVers. JMHO
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We use the lights and/or CB when traveling. Truckers are more open to the RV when they hear a female voice. Thom prefers me to talk on it since they will answer me than him
We teamed up with several semi's over the CB when trying to navigate the construction around DC last year. We are polite to them and they are polite to us and come to our defense when others try not to be.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
You may be right, but it has been my experience that truckers still acknowledge other truckers and not 4 wheelers or RVers. JMHO
We always (by that I mean 100% so far) acknowledged by truckers, and acknowledge truckers on the highway in our RV. Have experienced the same in our pick up truck on highways in US and Canada.
Maybe because we are just more aware of it.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
We always (by that I mean 100% so far) acknowledged by truckers, and acknowledge truckers on the highway in our RV. Have experienced the same in our pick up truck on highways in US and Canada.
Maybe because we are just more aware of it.
don't know where you are driving but I drive from S.C. to NYC monthly, and although I see them acknowledge each other, less than 1 in 10 acknowledge my signal. This also holds true when we are in our MH. Now let the flame war begin because maybe it's just east coast truckers who don't acknowledge... hehehe
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

western areas haven't experienced the east yet
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #9

Here's one I've been looking for...
Night-Time Road Courtesy. Some of you may be aware of night-time road courtesy, but many of you probably have the wrong idea of the right thing to do. When a trucker passes you and his trailer has cleared your rig far enough to be safe, the proper way to signal to him that he can pull back over is to turn off your headlights (but not your parking lights) for just a second or two. The trucker can see your intention without being blinded by your high beams in his mirrors.

Yes, I know that you see the other way of signaling (high beams) now and then, but the serious truckers much prefer to see a moment of darkness rather than a moment of blinding light.

Another element of night-time courtesy is not leaving your lights on high beam, regardless of whether the other driver is headed toward you or is headed in the same direction as you are traveling. Many people tend to obey this courtesy only when the other vehicle is headed toward them and can flash his high beams to show his irritation at your thoughtlessness. But the same rule holds true for cars that are ahead of you and going the same direction. Your high beams shine back from his rear mirror directly into his eyes, and is extremely irritating. Your high beam headlights can travel much farther than you think and still be a nuisance to the driver in front of you. Generally, if you can see either headlights or taillights from a car out in front of you, turn off your high beams.

If someone is headed toward you and flashes his high beams—thinking that your lights are on high beam, don’t retaliate by flashing your high beams. Instead, just turn off |your headlights for a second or two and then turn them back on. The other driver gets the message, and isn’t blinded by your high beam retort

Know and Use Headlight Signals. First, know and use the daylight headlight signals that truckers use to help each other when passing. After a truck has passed you and is ready to pull back into your lane, wait until his trailer(s) have cleared the front of your rig with a safe amount of clearance. Then, when the trucker signals his intention to pull back into your lane, briefly turn on your headlights until the trucker starts to change lanes, and then turn your headlights back off.

Many truckers have just as much difficulty in knowing where the back end of their rig is, and they help each other to know when it is safe to pull back over. Oftentimes the trucker will say “thanks” by blinking his running lights at you a couple of times. However, more and more these days, I find that truckers pay no attention to most RVers and seldom say “thanks” by blinking their lights. Part of the problem may be that so many RVs these days have daytime running lights (headlights that stay on whenever the engine is running) that many truckers can easily get confused.

Give Truckers a Free Lane to Enter the Highway. Secondly, when you see a trucker about to enter the highway beside you or slightly in front of you, don’t force him to slow down until you get past him. Instead, if the next lane is open, change lanes to let the trucker have the entire slow lane to merge and accelerate into the traffic stream. After you have passed him (since you are usually going at a much faster speed), simply pull back over into the slow lane and continue your journey.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
x10 HappyCCRVr

Tags
safety