Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Sagging Headliner

Not a news thread, but maybe new info on existing threads.

I have an '06 Itasca Horizon. Headliner is coming down. Winnebago factory estimates in excess of $25,000.00 (yes, twenty-five thousand) to repair. The $25K included removing the roof, then replacing all panels since most are sagging. Suspect once the roof is removed and reinstalled, a good fit/seal is not likely.

Think I will find another solution. Anyone done this work recently? New suggestions/processes apart from what as already been posted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

Get some short screws with those snap on heads to match the lining and screw up into the luan ply at one-foot centres to create a quilted pattern like you see on overstuffed chairs.
Your friends will be jealous.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If it is just the cloth just get some headliner glue and put it back. Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually it's the foam backing coming unglued. Can't imagine they want to remove the roof unless there is real damage there. The suggestions above are good. I might suggest to talk to a automotive shop that specializes in upholstery and headliner repair, they may have been here before and/or have some ideas.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

I've been doing classic car restorations for years. Once the headliner comes down, there is NO glue that will glue it back up (without removing it). I don't understand the quote about removing the roof, but then again, I don't know the coach (and how it was built) either.

The best solution is above,........short screws, tacks, rivets, decorative "buttons", screws with snap on covers,......anything. "Quilted" look is not bad. If done right (carefully measured), it would be appealing, as long as its evenly spaced over the whole headliner (which might present a problem in the sections that are still holding!).
Old 03-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Had mine fixed by an upholstery shop. They made rows laterally very 3 ft . They then stapled the loose fabric laterally on the row. Went Lowes bought white, flat, wood trim, one side slightly round to cover the staples.

Had a little bunched material at the cabinets, but barely noticeable
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Had mine fixed by an upholstery shop. They made rows laterally very 3 ft . They then stapled the loose fabric laterally on the row. Went Lowes bought white, flat, wood trim, one side slightly round to cover the staples.

Had a little bunched material at the cabinets, but barely noticeable
I fixed mine in the same manner myself. I cut the headliner in sections and stapled it up on the luan and then put cherry stained wood trim to cover the Staples. It looks very good. Can't imagine replacing the entire roof unless it was leaking badly.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You can fix it without using fasteners, but it will be a project. The headliner has a foam backing and its usually the foam that's disintegrated which allows the fabric to sag. Half the foam stays attached to the roof and half stays attached to the ceiling material. As vsheetz said, you can 't fix the foam. You'll have to take the ceiling down, clean all the foam and residual glue from the ceiling, then reattached it with something like 3M #77 adhesive. The issue may be that your ceiling material is not reusable.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Had the same problem with my 05 Meridiam 39K. Six of the eleven panels were coming down. Went to Lazy Days Tampa and had them repaired. Cost for the six panels repaired was $3800. They ordered the metarial from Winnie, got the same color but it has a very minor caphange in texture but you must really look close to tell (Winnie no longer has old texture). Looks good but only time will tell just got the coach back two weeks ago. Oh, they didn't remove the roof!

Looks like new!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

$25K sounds like price quote for a job that wasn’t wanted.

What is meant by “removing the roof”? When I was young and someone said that they put on a new roof on their home, I thought that they meant shingles, sheeting and rafters. Make that very young.

Do a search on youtube. You will find video examples of what others have done. Here are a few…

Old 03-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #11

Tks to all for the great suggestions. We have decided to go with the decorative, clear rosettes. Figure we can do the job for $300-400, and a lot of labor.

One remaining question. I have loose fabric, and would like to remove the existing decorative ribs that hide the panel seams, pull material tight, cut away excess, staple at the very edges, the reinstall the strips. Anyone had experience with removing then reinstalling the strips?

Tks,

Rodger