Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sales tax deduction for trade-in

So we officially sold our coach in anticipation of our new coach on order coming in November. We sold as a private sale & got about $25K more than dealer offered in trade. Question is I heard if I closed on both transactions within 30 days I could still get "offset" of sale price from a sales tax standpoint (pay sales tax on difference of new purchase minus the sales price of our existing coach). Anyone have any experience or know if this is indeed true? Either way we are coming out ahead after getting $25K more!

Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've always thought it had to be a trade in. Hope I'm wrong. Best of luck with the new one.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sold my 5th wheel the same week that I paid for the motorcoach... In Palm Beach County they wouldn't let me deduct anything. If you did that much better in a private sale...it probably didn't hurt you at all. They said it all had to be on the same buyers order...ie a trade.

Oh well....
Old 09-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

I know of no state that allows a credit for sales tax when the transaction is not fully a "trade-in." Generally the sales tax laws of most states require there to be a trade in and then the purchaser will pay the sales tax only on the difference. I think you are going to be on the line for the full purchase of your new rig.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, thought I'd throw it out there as someone mentioned it. Sounded to good to be true! Either way I'll take the extra $25K compared to $6K sales tax savings, plus I get to claim a higher sales tax deduction on my taxes when filing next year! Appreciate the quick input!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I would check with your License Office D.O.R. Where I live you can take in a signed bill of sale usually after you sell the old one and they will apply for a refund of the difference. We have a 180 days if I remember correctly. I have done it myself. The buyer of the old one better have the same price claimed on his registration because they are connected thru the VIN.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I would check with your License Office D.O.R. Where I live you can take in a signed bill of sale usually after you sell the old one and they will apply for a refund of the difference. We have a 180 days if I remember correctly. I have done it myself. The buyer of the old one better have the same price claimed on his registration because they are connected thru the VIN.

X2
We also live in Mo. (Lincoln County) and I always sell privately knowing I have 180 days to apply for the refund. Sometimes, when I have purchased a different one and sell my old one about the same time I take the BOS in to the DMV and end up not having to pay for anything but the transfer and the license. Of course that is when the selling price and buying price are the same or close to the same.
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

State by State rules on sales tax. I would call them and wait the prerequisite 10 minutes of press this number and that followed by music on hold.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've done this several times in Missouri. They rely on the sale price on a Bill of Sale form, which they will furnish on-line, it must be signed by both parties. Each party is to get an original bill of sale.

When applying for a credit on the sale of a vehicle it is applied to the next purchase of a vehicle. No cash refunds. If the alleged "Book value" is different from what is furnished on the bill of sale they will use whichever is lower unless the Bill of Sale has been notarized.

When paying your sales tax on the purchase of a vehicle they use the book value or bill of sale value, whichever is higher. Again there is some exemption when the bill has been notarized.

Titles issued in the last several years have a tear off section that the seller fills out with the date, amount of the sale, mileage and other info that is sent in by the seller direct to the state. This gives them a pretty good check on the bill of sale figures.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #10

It is good to know that this would work in Missouri, however the OP is in Florida. Florida does have some rather funky sales tax laws so I would get an opinion from a professional source in Florida. I did look on line to see if there was any guidance there, but I could not find any.

It was mentioned to perhaps call the State for their guidance. Be careful doing so because most states and the federal government will not allow you to use the advice of their own employees when you ask a tax question. Sad, but true.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Walk into you DMV and ask.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will do. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #13

Non in NJ!
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #14

In Arkansas you can do it trade in or private sale as long as it is within a certain time frame.

spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale