Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
Only slightly related ... Don't want to write off the RV on our federal taxes, but can I still write off the mileage attributable to business as I do for my personal auto used for business (I own my own business and travel is to and from industry conferences in other cities)? And if so, can I claim 56.5 cents a mile for my car and actual expenses for my RV? Or would I have to use the same accounting for both vehicles?

Not that I'm asking for free tax advice ;-) ... but you *did* seem to kinda offer.

Thanks in advance if you able (and willing).

And, yes ... what an excellent post!
You can claim mileage for the RV or actual expenses when you use the RV for business. Where a lot of folks get out on a limb with their RV's is that they try to use the Section 179 deduction which allows one to expense up to $500,000 (down to $25,000 in 2014) of business equipment purchases. Any vehicle that is used for business can take either the standard mileage rate ($.565 in 2013 and $.56 in 2014) or actual expenses. The only restriction is that you can't switch from one to the other for the same vehicle.

If your business use requires you to be out of town overnight there is one other deduction that may be handy. You can take up to $52 per day for meals as a per diem while out of town overnight. Also your campground fees will be considered a business expense.

Now comes the kicker. Even though the deduction is legal, it doesn't mean that an auditor won't challenge the deduction. Make sure you document your reason for being out of town on business and you keep ALL of your receipts and that doesn't mean the credit card statements, but the actual paper receipts for fuel, food, and other expenses. We are finding the current batch of auditors and their supervisors tend to be very aggressive and not particularly well versed on the law and just downright ignorant of what it takes to be in business.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
...You can take up to $52 per day for meals as a per diem while out of town overnight. Also your campground fees will be considered a business expense....
About the meals per diem ... Is that a straight "claim it" deduction (after showing you actually *were* legitimately out of town). Or will you need to show receipts?

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #17

Quote:
About the meals per diem ... Is that a straight "claim it" deduction (after showing you actually *were* legitimately out of town). Or will you need to show receipts?

The per diem amount is automatic from the standpoint that you only need to prove you were out of town overnight. Remember there are some locations that allow you a higher per diem such as Washington, DC, NY City, and others.

Ed
Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The per diem amount is automatic from the standpoint that you only need to prove you were out of town overnight. Remember there are some locations that allow you a higher per diem such as Washington, DC, NY City, and others.

Ed
Is the per diem write-off valid if you work for yourself? My company is an LLC and I am the only worker.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Know the sales tax thingy, it has served us well over the many rv purchases and ;ast year we had the new rv and 2 cars too
I haven't started my 'processing' this year, so not looked yet... but have they changed anything related to claiming the rv as a second home since it has a bath, bed, etc.. ?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Is the per diem write-off valid if you work for yourself? My company is an LLC and I am the only worker.

I would say yes it is still valid. Just because you work for yourself it doesn't mean you don't incur the out of town costs. Just make sure you document your overnight status. The new breed of auditors are pretty aggressive and less than up on the tax laws and many are totally devoid of any knowledge of business practices in general.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Know the sales tax thingy, it has served us well over the many rv purchases and ;ast year we had the new rv and 2 cars too
I haven't started my 'processing' this year, so not looked yet... but have they changed anything related to claiming the rv as a second home since it has a bath, bed, etc.. ?
John, as of right now we are still good for the second home. There has been some discussion in Congress about eliminating that second home deduction because us "rich" folks take advantage of it. It is still in place for '13 and '14, but this year (2014) may be subject to change.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
So, it's that time of year again! Time to revive tax questions!
Here's mine: purchased a class a (used) in 2014. We rent our S/B home, so no mortgage interest, but can I deduct interest on my RV loan? (If I have enough other items to make itemizing worthwhile)
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #23

TX, if you have enough to itemize then you can take your interest on your motorhome. Make sure you take it as other interest on Schedule A rather than on on the mortgage interest line. The IRS matches mortgage interest with 1098's and if there is no 1098, which there isn't, then you'll get one of those "greetings" letters that scare the dickens out of everyone.

If you put solar panels on your unit, that may also qualify for the solar energy tax credit if it's itemized on your invoice.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Great info here as I am compiling all of my info for our 2014 return. Purchased a new MH last April and was not aware about the State Tax portion or that I should use the "Other Interest" section of schedule A.

Thanks a million for sharing
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #25

Glad I could help Ken. BTW, we are going to look at a DS 4369 either this weekend or next. Love the layout on that rig.
!

Tags
sale