Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

Sales tax question

We currently live in Oregon (where there is no sales tax). Our long term plan is to purchase an RV and travel a bit, before finally settling in Arizona (as snowbirds). We would keep the RV and travel during the hot season in Arizona.

My question is: if I purchase my RV in Oregon (while still an Oregon resident), and then relocate to Arizona, will Arizona charge me any sort of "back" sales tax on my RV? I know that it seems like a dumb question (maybe), but somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to recall that there was at least one state which would do that if you purchased a car within 'X' months of becoming a resident of that state. I'm wondering if the same is true now for an RV, and if it is, how many months do I need to wait before transferring my residency to Arizona?
gwturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

I can't speak to Arizona, but Washington will charge sales tax on the transfer within a certain time after purchase. I think it's 6 months.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hopefully some AZ folks can answer that!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

Arizona prices the annual tags based on a percentage of the base MSRP of the coach and reduces the amount owed by 10% per year after that. When I registered our 2004 MADP in Arizona last year (coming from Colorado), I was charged no sales tax but the license plates were about $490 for the year. This year they will be about $440 and that will keep decreasing by 10% per year. They get you one way or another.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

Are you selling the Oregon home? If not, why not just keep the Oregon registration? For best up-to-date answers contact each state for their ruling/charges.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Arizona prices the annual tags based on a percentage of the base MSRP of the coach and reduces the amount owed by 10% per year after that. When I registered our 2004 MADP in Arizona last year (coming from Colorado), I was charged no sales tax but the license plates were about $490 for the year. This year they will be about $440 and that will keep decreasing by 10% per year. They get you one way or another.

Out of curiosity, I went to the AZ DMV site where it states the VLT (vehicle license tax) will be calculated on 60% of the MSRP of the vehicle and you are assessed $2.89 for every $100 dollars of that amount.

So, if you bought your 2004 MH for, say, $85K several years ago and then moved to AZ, would they base the VLT on the MSRP of, say $250K when it was new?

That doesn't seem right, but is that the case? If so, the example I gave would lead to a tax of $4335, reduced by 16% at each renewal.

Don't know what you paid for your MADP, but if your fees were $490, the original calculation (60% of MSRP) must have been based on what you paid, used, or the MSRP estimate from NADA for used vehicles. Is that correct?

Did I miss something?
https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/car-registration.php
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here in Utah, they charge sales tax with the TITLE, not with the registration. Altho' these two transactions normally occur at the same time, title and sales tax is a one time charge at 6.25%. YIKES!!! But it is one time, my annual tags are about $900. I doube anyone charges sales tax annually, but they may use some other type of tax.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can specify a differung mail address vs physical address with the OR DMV...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

I paid $73.5k for our 2004 coach two years ago. They base the fee on the base MSRP when new, in our case about $295k, not whatever you paid for it. As mentioned, they come up with what the registration fee would have been when new based on a percentage of the 60% of the MSRP, then it is discounted for each year since then by a percentage per year of age since new, whether you bought new or used. So our coach would have been about $5k? for the first year when it was new, but you do not have to pay sales tax.

That is how the Coconino County agent explained it to me. I do not know if the percentage of the 60% of MSRP rate or the annual deduction varies by county, but that is possible. I hope that your research shows what the agent told me was wrong.

It is an expensive place to register a new(er) coach, but you do not pay a sales tax. They get you for many years. Death and taxes...
Old 11-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Last time I checked WA considered an RV to be a luxury and there was no reduction for previous time out of state. We paid just over $25,000 sales/use tax on the Magna we bought used in 2015. Luckily, if you're already a WA resident, they use the difference between your trade and the new rig.
But the yearly tags are less than $130 and the CR-V us about $65.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #12

We will be selling our home ... and between the income tax, property tax and inheritance tax in Oregon, keeping our residency here isn't practical
gwturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I paid $73.5k for our 2004 coach two years ago. They base the fee on the base MSRP when new, in our case about $295k, not whatever you paid for it. As mentioned, they come up with what the registration fee would have been when new based on a percentage of the 60% of the MSRP, then it is discounted for each year since then by a percentage per year of age since new, whether you bought new or used. So our coach would have been about $5k? for the first year when it was new, but you do not have to pay sales tax.

That is how the Coconino County agent explained it to me. I do not know if the percentage of the 60% of MSRP rate or the annual deduction varies by county, but that is possible. I hope that your research shows what the agent told me was wrong.

It is an expensive place to register a new(er) coach, but you do not pay a sales tax. They get you for many years. Death and taxes...
Thanks for the reply. I think I understand now, AZ uses the MSRP of a new coach for the calculation, but reduce it by 16.25% for every year it has aged, whether you owned it or not. By the time you registered, it was a 12 year old coach, the tax was down to $490.

The OP can use this to see what he's facing in AZ. No sales tax, but the VLT is assessed each year! Also, from what I read here, most new coaches sell ~25-30% below MSRP so the AZ tax on a used coach is based on a much higher amount.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Is there a relative in Oregon that you can use as an address and leave it registered there?
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale