Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Sales Tax Question on New MH in TX, FL, and LA

I am looking at a lot of options, currently a dealer in TX has some things that we want. We are currently in LA on Active duty. We are residentls of Florida. We have NO idea how much sales tax will be on a $120K purchase and need to know while we consider the amount of our down payment.

Anyone have any advice? Some states Cap the sales tax, others don't charge the same as they do for other purchases. I am lost!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
I am looking at a lot of options, currently a dealer in TX has some things that we want. We are currently in LA on Active duty. We are residentls of Florida. We have NO idea how much sales tax will be on a $120K purchase and need to know while we consider the amount of our down payment.

Anyone have any advice? Some states Cap the sales tax, others don't charge the same as they do for other purchases. I am lost!
Sales taxes vary by location. Most states are pretty consistent on how this works though.

On a vehicle you will generally pay sales tax directly to the state when you REGISTER the car. If you export the vehicle from the state before registering it you can generally avoid paying the tax in the state you purchase it from. You will pay sales tax on the vehicle in your home state when you register it and get your plates. The tax rate is determined by your home location, so call the tag office back home and they'll tell you what the rate is.

If you are in one of the odd states where you pay tax BEFORE the vehicle is registered you will normally be able to furnish proof of this to your home motor vehicle department and they will deduct any sales tax paid from the amount you owe them.

BTW, Florida has a very steep fee for importing a vehicle into the state if you are not transferring a tag from another vehicle. This fee isn't sales tax and has to be paid regardless. Be sure you understand how much it costs because it is quite expensive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

FL will be around 7% plus the tag.. 8,400 in tax and around 400 for the tag
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

Your sales tax will be based on the state in which you reside. Some states do charge their state's sales tax on a purchase by an out of state buyer. Texas should not be a problem as I have purchased a vehicle there before and drove it back to NY. I'm not sure about LA. Anywhere you purchase should be subject to your Florida tax.

Sounds like you folks have narrowed your search. What have you decided on?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You said that you are from FL, if you have ever purchased a tag in FL and you are not currently using that tag, even if has been expired for years, you can avoid the registration fee (about $300 or so, I think) and the the state can activate the expired tag for about $125. If you don't have the info on the old tag, you can go to any tag office and they can research the info for you and provide you with info that you would then give to the dealer (or tag office, if you purchase privately).
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I believe Florida is actually 6% because they say if your coach is less than 6 months old you will have to pay the difference between the state you bought the coach and 6% if you paid less in the purchase state and wish to register in Florida. Plus of course the $225 plate fee and first year's registration (less than $100). The plate fee is a one time fee for each new plate. If you need 2, you pay $225 X2.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My County in FL is 6% sales tax, was $35. title fee, but that was increased. and plates were $72. on my last MH. I haven't registered the new one yet, but should be about the same. Here are the current fees for FL. DHSMV: Motorist Services Fees

I do have the plate off of my previous MH to transfer and that saves about $225.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

As I understand the laws if you are active duty you can register in present state(LA) because you reside there or at your home of record (FL). Easy choice for me is who has lower sales tax rate. Reason to maybe tag in FL would be if you plan to return to live within one year of purchase.

I based the above comments from when I was active duty (10 yrs) but that has now been several years ago. You may know of changes that were made.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
We haven't made a lifestyle decision yet but we've narrowed down choices for each path we choose.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
FL will be around 7% plus the tag.. 8,400 in tax and around 400 for the tag
Remember folks that there is no sales tax rate for the entire state of FL. The local rates vary between counties and municipalities. The state, county and city can all charge a small tax which are added together and charged when you buy something. Therefore every city potentially has a different rate. The tag office will charge based on your address. You can call them to get the right rate for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
When we bought our RV from a dealer in FL, we paid 6% to FL as part of the purchase. When we registered in in TX, we paid the difference in tax (6.25% - 6% = 0.25%) to TX at that time. If we had bought in TX, or FL had not charged the tax, we would have paid it all to TX.

Tags
sale