Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #29

Obviously, many of these comments are situational and I wasn't there. However, I try to not worry about the fact that I'm a 64 white male and how someone does or doesn't fit that into the mix.

A few times young girls opened a door for me and I just smile and say thanks. Unfortunately, when I do the same for so-called ladies around my age group, they often act like I'm not there. Such is life. Not worth my time to ponder it.

I mean, this stuff happens to all of us.

I simply try to see each person as a unique individual and if I don't like something about them or how they are treating me, I simply close the conversation and move on. I don't work it over or look for reasons they behaved or reacted to me.

Frankly, I'm not much interested in all the drama if I can avoid it and most of the time I can avoid it.

There are plenty of salesmen and women, and plenty of dealerships and rvs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #30

I think each dealership has a different market focus, different levels of inventory, etc. If they think they can sell your rv easily they will give you a bigger trade in value than if they think they will have trouble moving it. A low trade in value is a communication to you that they don't want your mobile dream wagon because it will be a drag on them.

If they have a lot of inventory they need to move inventory not add to it. Etc. Etc.

It's not like they have a government life time job and are there to buy our used, of course well maintained as all rigs are, rvs.

Ask yourself why they don't do a detailed PDI of your rv. That is because all they need to do is drop the price enough to cover whatever they need to do to fix (on the average used rv) whatever the customer finds within the terms of the contract.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
With the web, all the information is at hand on RV's. If you don't really have any idea what kind of RV you want, I think it is best to walk around the dealers lot without a salesperson at your own pace. You and your partner are more at ease to talk about your likes and dis-likes as you check out units.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #32

I have been in sales & service all of my adult life until retiring & I believe the definition of a true salesman to be, "One who will find the wants and needs of his potential customer and do his best to fulfill those needs".

"He will sell on purpose", that purpose being, to fulfill the needs of the potential customer. Yes, he has to follow guidelines of the business and have a certain % of profit or the business can't continue to operate but, $$$$$ is not the foremost thing in his mind as he's dealing with the potential customer. He also believes that he must earn his customers business.

I worked for a automobile dealer once for only three months (too long) & he would do, or tell, a customer anything to make the sale. The same vehicle could have as many prices as the number of potential buyers he had because he profiled everyone on how they dressed what they drove on the lot etc.etc. and, the asking price would vary several thousands dollars depending on how much he imagined the customer could afford, not necessarily what he wanted.. I'm sure you can find some RV dealers that play the same game. I walk out on anyone that plays that game & I also let them know why.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
With the web, all the information is at hand on RV's. If you don't really have any idea what kind of RV you want, I think it is best to walk around the dealers lot without a salesperson at your own pace. You and your partner are more at ease to talk about your likes and dis-likes as you check out units.
X2....sometimes it's nice to be able to just look thru them at your leisure and not be bothered. It gives you time to look at some of the good/bad features people are talking about on this forum. I really don't care what the salesman does as long as I can take my time looking and see inside. When I'm ready to buy I've always been able to find someone to do the paperwork.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Salesmen/women are like any other folks. They deserve respect until proven otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Sorry, Respect is Earned....... not deserved!
I prefer to not to take an adversarial position. I will treat anyone I have not previously met with respect until they show me they are not worthy of it.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Sorry, Respect is Earned....... not deserved!
So what you're saying is guilty until proven innocent. Being a salesman is a very difficult job as we have to deal with people who come in with expectations. Sorry to say, I don't trust lawyers, doctors, bankers, politicians etc. I also have trouble getting service from insurance companies, having to ask for a supervisor.

Why don't you unhappy folks try changing your approach and try to help the salesman. I can't believe how rude some of the postings are. How would you like to work holidays and weekends, on commission, spending time with people who won't be buying for a long time. We don't get retirement benefits and the owners and managers are often uncaring.

I did a lot better buying at a dealer than a private party.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #36

Quote:
I prefer to not to take an adversarial position. I will treat anyone I have not previously met with respect until they show me they are not worthy of it.
Trust someone until they show you they are not trustworthy? We all have our opinions.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #37

I agree that respect is something that is earned, not given. The lowest form of respect is based on ones title. Salesman are not immune from this as a result of how they earn their money, what they do, who they do it with, etc.

This idea that there is a special category of uncaring people called owners and mangers is very interesting. Without these people who apparently don't deserve respect, but salesman do, are people with families, homes and investments, and guess what they provide jobs and if things really go downhill, like the business being closed, now all those employees are jobless, the owner probably has to go to work for somebody who still has their business, and the manager may go back to being a technician if lucky.

This is the bottom line as I see it. A stranger is a stranger, regardless if they are a buyer, seller, owner, manager, salesman, employee. All relationships have to be built from the floor up. It is buyer and seller beware and tough because after the deal is done, so is, oftentimes, the relationship.

Second, neither the salesman nor the buyer are gonna be friends, though with effort they might be friendly.

To trust in a stranger is something we should learn to be wary of and requires a lot of both people to keep.

There are many reasons for written contracts and legal avenues, rather than handshakes, not least of which is peaceful resolution.

Russian saying: trust but verify.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Trust someone until they show you they are not trustworthy? We all have our opinions.
Trust and respect are two different things IMO. Giving and recieving respect are/should be common courtesy.

Trust anyone - that depends on the circumstances. When it comes to money I am a lot more careful.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Trust and respect are two different things IMO. Giving and recieving respect are/should be common courtesy.

Trust anyone - that depends on the circumstances. When it comes to money I am a lot more careful.
X2..Treat people how you would want to be treated in the same situation, and if they don't give you the same respect then move on. And trust really depends on the circumstances, there are a lot of things I wouldn't trust other people with but I would still give them respect.

But I don't agree with Rusty. I don't think anyone's been rude to salesmen in their comments, as their individual actions resulted in the specific comments made. Your job isn't the only one where you have to work nights, holidays, weekends...a lot of jobs have that same requirement( I worked one for over thirty years). But at the end of the day people have the choice to chose jobs that interest them and at the same time provide for their families, if neither of those expectations are met they can then look for other jobs that do. But whatever job you have chosen, for whatever reasons you had, you should do the best job possible and represent the person who writes your paycheck with respect.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2..Treat people how you would want to be treated in the same situation, and if they don't give you the same respect then move on. And trust really depends on the circumstances, there are a lot of things I wouldn't trust other people with but I would still give them respect.

But I don't agree with Rusty. I don't think anyone's been rude to salesmen in their comments, as their individual actions resulted in the specific comments made. Your job isn't the only one where you have to work nights, holidays, weekends...a lot of jobs have that same requirement( I worked one for over thirty years). But at the end of the day people have the choice to chose jobs that interest them and at the same time provide for their families, if neither of those expectations are met they can then look for other jobs that do. But whatever job you have chosen, for whatever reasons you had, you should do the best job possible and represent the person who writes your paycheck with respect.
X-2, Very well said! Rail!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some people like a "pushy" salesman, others, like us, prefer the salesman to be there to answer questions. We get a pushy one and we leave.
And "pushy" depends on your perception too.
Maybe the OP just got one who prefers to be int he background and answer questions. We just signed preliminary papers on a 2009 CC Magna. Salesman was there to talk to us about it, answer questions, flip switches etc, but not once did he ask us to go to the office to sign UNTIL we said we wanted it. That's the way we prefer to do business.
I've been in sales for 30 years, so I know exactly how the salesman/women feel but I have a small trick that someone did to me many years ago that I still employ today.

Back when I was wet behind the ears and eager a guy come to my booth at a trade show and I was all over him. After about two minutes, he looked right at me and he asked me two things: Are you on commission? (I said yes), and last, he asked for my card and told me to leave him alone, if he had any questions, he would get me and ask me and if he decided to buy my product, he would only buy it from me.

He in fact, asked me a couple of questions and by the end of the show, he came back to the booth, asked for me and gave me the order. That customer has bought well over $ 1,000,000.00 worth of equipment from me over the years and we have developed a good friendship over that time.

We have discussed our first meeting over the years and every time we talk about it he laughs and tells me that very few salesmen actually do what he asks.

I am currently looking to buy my first MH and so far, I've been to three dealers in the area and when the salesman comes to me, I do the same thing and now I have 3 cards. Once we decide which MH to buy and from which dealer, I will make sure the guy who's card I have will get the credit for the sale.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #42

It still goes back to "you need to "EARN" your customers business. No one came into this world being owed anything. I had a competitor that had the attitude that the people in the area were fortunate that he was there. His former customers told me all about it!

Tags
sale