Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Salesmen didn't seem to care if we bought or not

We went to 3 different RV dealerships in Tulsa, OK, yesterday, Jan 24, 2015, and talked to 3 different sales people.

They greeted us ok then we told them what we were looking for and they looked over their papers, and took us to look a a couple of units.

At one dealership we looked at a Serrano 33R. I told the salesman I wanted to test drive it but the battery was dead. So we left for lunch so he could get it started. We returned 2 hours later the unit was gone.

He said the service guy got it started and thought they wanted him to take it another location for a show they were putting on.
Needless to say we left and probably want go back to that dealer. They didn't even say, well we will look for you a unit and keep in touch.

At another dealership the salesmen was also the finance guy so we looked at a 2011 Winnebago VIA with only 5,512 miles. Following some internet advice I offered 20% below low retail and are waiting to hear if they will accept. At least the vehicle stayed on the lot.

Anyone else have any experience with salesmen/women who didn't give a rats?
okie143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

Since the market is coming back they know units will be sold so they don't have to kiss butt. It's been my experience sales people wouldn't leave me alone. One of my buddies went to the Atlanta boat show and the salesman told him they had already sold 50 boats when a decend boat cost around 60k. They were offering lower down payments and lower interest rates which I'm sure it's the same for rv's .
Old 01-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dealers are now fat. The really lean days of a couple years ago are over for now. I had the same reaction when looking at a newer coach at a dealer near Tampa, Fl. The offered me well below wholesale (my neighbor is in the business and looked up wholesale prices for me) and expected me to pay average retail for the replacement, not even low retail, average retail! Needless to say, I said good bye.

When I started to see the market change, I guess I expected this, but it is hard to take. I'll just keep my coach and do a couple of upgrades and small repairs.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #4

Ah, don't let'em tell you how good the RV and marine business is. While it's better than 2008, their business still sucks.

I'd hate to think about the interest expense a large RV dealer is paying every month on $4-$5 million inventory. Especially when they're in a big negative cash flow throughout the Winter.

Such businesses have 80% of yearly sales from March to August, but salaries, rent and utilities go on 12 months of the year. Don't let'em push you to buy until you're ready to buy, and even then pay a fair price.

It should still be a buyer's market out there.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Interest rates have never been lower.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

If I were a salesman, I would also act like I didn't care if you bought it. The flip side is begging you to buy- not a good sales negotiating plan. It does sound like that dealership lacks planning and coordination between depts, and that is a direct reflection of the GM's abilities and managerial skills.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

I have found the same circumstances in the auto and boat business. Some are more professional than others. Ask for a manager if you don't like the salesman.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If I were a salesman, I would also act like I didn't care if you bought it. The flip side is begging you to buy- not a good sales negotiating plan. It does sound like that dealership lacks planning and coordination between depts, and that is a direct reflection of the GM's abilities and managerial skills.
I think seasomed sales people are gifted at detecting tire kickers and master the drop. It's like fishing. There a nibbles and there are bites. To the salesman setting the hook is what matters to him cause its food on the table. Chatting us up for hours is fishing dead water. If they fish the dead water nibbles too long - the miss the bite later on. All of that said - there are good fishermen and those not so good... the wily fish knows how to keep the fisherman sitting there all day without being caught.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #9

have to keep in mind what they say

its all about how you walk and talk and look .. if you dont look like you dont have the money you get the games

my friend was a young man when looking at a TT
he was fresh out of the airfoce and needed a TT for living out of moving from base to base working on C130s

he payed full price for a unit but it did take many show rooms to find one that would give him the time of day

profiling happens all the time you may not be young or are ?? but it could be the type of car you drive to asking more put pricing then floor plans

if he did really think that you wanted to by the RV i am sure it would have stayed there
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #10

First, I think it goes, out of sight, out of mind. Once you leave, the probability is you won't be back and promises from a stranger, either from you or the salesman don't mean much unless in writing with a penalty clause. So, next time don't walk away, stay with it if you are serious and recognize they have choices too.

They know which rigs are selling and are in demand.

If you want them to look for you and keep in touch, you are asking too much as there is no clear guaranteed way they will make a buck as you are under no obligation to buy from them if they find something for you. If you stay there and park with your sleeping bag, maybe they will work on your behalf and you guaranteed they will get paid for their efforts...

If they were not selling well, then maybe. If you have a pre-existing meaningful relationship with a sales man...like being the brother of his wife, then ok.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Since the market is coming back they know units will be sold so they don't have to kiss butt.
I'm having a hard time trying to get some deals too. I'm in the market and ready to buy. 80% of MSRP seems to be the "online sales" price. They seem to not be dropping below 75% for the travel trailers. I'll probably end up buying a used unit that is 1 or 2 years old from a private party to get away from this game.

Last weekend while shopping at the local RV dealership here, the sales guy said he already sold 3 RVs that day. It was only 1pm.
Jet_Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Many (many) years ago I sold cars for about a year. One of the key things we looked for in dealing with potential buyers was their interest and ability to buy "today" if the deal was right. If a customer was not ready to buy today or very soon, time spent with him was time you could not spend with people interested in buying now. The common term for those not wanting to buy now or soon was "tire kickers".

This is of course not the only possible reason for their apparent disinterest. If I encounter a salesperson who seems indifferent I am not above walking away or even walking into the sales manager's office and request a different salesperson. Sometimes the chemistry between a customer and the salesperson is simply not right and they'll typically find another salesperson for you.

If the response is still negative, walk away as you're likely better off not doing business there.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #13

I think it all depends when you are looking. If it is on a weekend then I think the "fishing" theory applies. The smartest thing to do is go looking during the week when business is slow, and make sure what you really want. Then go home and deal with the internet sales people. Usually the standard sales guy that walks up to you on the lot is authorized to talk about a 7% discount without dealing with the sales manager, the internet guys can usually go up to about a 17% discount before getting the GM/owner involved. But at the end of the day the best discounts are going to come from the GM/Owner.

As to the salesman not seeming interested, go in and ask for a different salesman. Like said before don't go on the weekend when they are the busiest. We went on a Monday to look at Jeeps to use as a Toad. The first salesman spent about a half hour telling us about how well they hold their value, about his friend who just bought one, and they really didn't have to discount them. I told him we just wanted to see inside one several times as we were still undecided if it was the right Toad for us. When he started on his third story about others who bought, my wife and I walked away from him, into the office and asked if there was anybody who could actually show us the three models of Jeeps they had. The salesman followed us in during this and did not say a word. One of the younger salesman walked over to us, introduced himself, and took us on three test drives so we could see the difference. He also showed us the new Trailhawk, that he thought may be an option if we didn't want a jeep as a Toad, as we frequently have our grandkids with us. When we left he gave us brochures, a business card and followed up that night with a thank you for looking email. If we do go with the Jeep, it will be from him.

So my point is there are some good ones out there, if you don't get a good one ask for one, you are not wasting their time if you are just looking as that is how you find what you really want, not everyone buys the first time they look in fact the smart ones don't, and if they act like you are wasting their time go somewhere else. And I honestly don't think your appearance means anything, unless you go looking like a homeless guy, I don't dress to impress, but I can afford anything I want and it's all how you present yourself verbally. Just my two cents, and I've always gotten a great deal on anything I've bought from RV's to homes.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
MPH

I looked at used MHs at a number of dealers. Mostly, was not taken seriously ... at least that was my impression. And I had the cash to purchase a nice used unit.

At CW, back when I was thinking we'd buy a new Class C, one salesman apparently took offense to my opinion of a certain brand. I told him up front I wasn't interested in that brand, but he insisted on showing me something from that lineup. He left me to browse the lot on my own when a couple came in who had an appointment with him.

Several days later, I went back to check out a unit that they'd advertised online. I browsed around the lot for 20 minutes and then had to go in and ask for a sales person. A salesman came out with me, but was obviously in a hurry to go so he could take his new wife to lunch.

Beats the heck outta me why some sales people are so dismissive of customers. Like one guy here said, you find what you want by looking at a lot of units. It's a lot of money to invest and most people are gonna be darn sure they spend it on exactly what they want and need.

So, what'd I do? I quit looking at the dealers and got online. Also decided to look for a Class A instead of a C. Found my coach on RVTrader (private owner ad) and worked the deal with the very accommodating owner after a friend who lived nearby went and checked it all out for us. The owner met us half-way and went over everything in the coach with me before we did the deal.

Of course, I would not have bought this or any coach without having checked it out myself or having had a trustworthy friend check it out in my stead. As it turned out, we got a nice coach in our price range and couldn't be happier. Several sales people at 3 or 4 dealers' lots missed out on a commission. Their loss. Money stayed in my pocket.

Mel
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale