Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
have to keep in mind what they say

its all about how you walk and talk and look .. if you dont look like you dont have the money you get the games

my friend was a young man when looking at a TT
he was fresh out of the airfoce and needed a TT for living out of moving from base to base working on C130s

he payed full price for a unit but it did take many show rooms to find one that would give him the time of day

profiling happens all the time you may not be young or are ?? but it could be the type of car you drive to asking more put pricing then floor plans

if he did really think that you wanted to by the RV i am sure it would have stayed there
You hit the nail on the head. I profile people in my business all the time and can usually tell within the first sentence if they will be a good customer or not. With that said I hate it when salesmen assume I'm not going to buy anything. Being a younger black guy I don't always get the most eager salesmen, but I have trained the DW to sense when I'm ready to get up and walk from a dealership. We have done it a few times in the past few years. Some sales people are downright Arrogant in my experience. And a few of them have become visibly angry/annoyed which in my opinion is very unprofessional. A lot of salesmen need to work on there approach and attitude. They are either too pushy or indifferent
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I profile people in my business all the time and can usually tell within the first sentence if they will be a good customer or not. With that said I hate it when salesmen assume I'm not going to buy anything. Being a younger black guy I don't always get the most eager salesmen, but I have trained the DW to sense when I'm ready to get up and walk from a dealership. We have done it a few times in the past few years. Some sales people are downright Arrogant in my experience. And a few of them have become visibly angry/annoyed which in my opinion is very unprofessional. A lot of salesmen need to work on there approach and attitude. They are either too pushy or indifferent
I faced the same thing being female. Many dealership sells men did not think I was serious and wanted to know if my husband was coming to do the test drive!!! A couple did try to find me something but did not like it when I was adamant about condition. Things work out the way they should, I’ve been extremely happy with my purchase from the original owner.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

Thanks for the info. We went in and told the receptionist we wanted to buy a motorhome today and even told them the ones we wanted to look at. We picked two out that were on their website before we went.
I to have gone to RVTrader and have now found two class a rigs we are interested in. However, we will have to fly to inspect one and the dealer will reimburse us our airfair. The other is a private seller who tells me he is going through a divorce and needs to sell it quick. Ya and I can buy ocean front property in Arizona.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #18
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
I faced the same thing being female. Many dealership sells men did not think I was serious and wanted to know if my husband was coming to do the test drive!!! A couple did try to find me something but did not like it when I was adamant about condition. Things work out the way they should, I’ve been extremely happy with my purchase from the original owner.
LOL! Same here. I could tell 4 out of 5 of them were scoping around looking for my husband. Then they asked if my husband didn't want to look with me to test drive. I told 'em my spouse, Kate, wanted me to choose the rig and that she would not be driving it. I wasn't rude about it, just matter-of-fact ... like they were.

The things people assume ....

Melanie
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Salesmen/women are like any other folks. They deserve respect until proven otherwise.

I believe there are people who walk into a showroom with a few dollars in their pocket and become arrogant and demanding. Want the best rig for the least money.

We have a friend who is a used car salesman. He says there is one professional group that the salesmen draw straws to see who had to talk to them. Short straw loses.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a friend who is a used car salesman. He says there is one professional group that the salesmen draw straws to see who had to talk to them. Short straw loses.[/QUOTE]

And the winning group is.................??
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
We have a friend who is a used car salesman. He says there is one professional group that the salesmen draw straws to see who had to talk to them. Short straw loses.
And the winning group is.................??[/QUOTE]

Other salesman? Realtors?
Jet_Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a selling career for over thirty years. Also during that time I was a purchaser too. My best as a salesman was when a man and wife came to a warehouse sale in the stereo store where I worked. He had on a corduroy coat with arm patches, old shoes and a very worn out soft hat. The wife wore a Tammi hat and her lipstick was way over the lip line. He asked to hear a stereo in the warehouse. After that he asked if we had anything better. Sure - so I took him to the showroom where he was given the King tour of upscale stereo equipment.
When it was all done he wanted to purchase over $3500 of equipment. This all took place back in the early 70's so that was a mighty big sale. He offered his credit card which was promptly rejected when we called it in. He suggest we call his friend to get approval. We did and the friend was the President of a very large bank in NY. A few minutes later we got the call back from the credit card company authorizing the purchase.

The Odd couple were very nice when I delivered and install the equipment for them to record their daughter while she played the 9 foot grand piano in their glorious home. As I found out later, Dad was a Professor at Syracuse University. Every Christmas for many years he brought me a bottle of the best scotch. Dewar's - Same as his last name. my favorite story and favorite drink. Lesson Learned - Never underestimate the resources of the customer. there are a thousand sales stories that is just one.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Salesmen/women are like any other folks. They deserve respect until proven otherwise.

I believe there are people who walk into a showroom with a few dollars in their pocket and become arrogant and demanding. Want the best rig for the least money.

Sorry, Respect is Earned....... not deserved!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #24

Salesmen didn't seem to care if we bought or not

IMO sales is a bit like baseball. You look at a lot of pitches (tire kickers), but only a few are in the strike zone (buyers) and you're a superstar if you bat +.300 (close/sell) and lose your job if you bat +.150 or less. If you're not prepared to look at a lot of pitches (browsers) and can't accept rejection (close 1 in 5) then you're in the wrong business. No excuses for being disinterested, rude or objectionable when your livelihood is dependent upon turning shoppers into buyers. Regrettably, putting-up with rude, disrespectful, know-it-all customers (no excuses for these type of people) kinda goes with the territory if ya wanna cash a commission cheque.

BTW...I think everyone (including salespeople) deserve respect until proven otherwise.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some people like a "pushy" salesman, others, like us, prefer the salesman to be there to answer questions. We get a pushy one and we leave.
And "pushy" depends on your perception too.
Maybe the OP just got one who prefers to be int he background and answer questions. We just signed preliminary papers on a 2009 CC Magna. Salesman was there to talk to us about it, answer questions, flip switches etc, but not once did he ask us to go to the office to sign UNTIL we said we wanted it. That's the way we prefer to do business.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I looked at used MHs at a number of dealers. Mostly, was not taken seriously ... at least that was my impression. And I had the cash to purchase a nice used unit.

At CW, back when I was thinking we'd buy a new Class C, one salesman apparently took offense to my opinion of a certain brand. I told him up front I wasn't interested in that brand, but he insisted on showing me something from that lineup. He left me to browse the lot on my own when a couple came in who had an appointment with him.

Several days later, I went back to check out a unit that they'd advertised online. I browsed around the lot for 20 minutes and then had to go in and ask for a sales person. A salesman came out with me, but was obviously in a hurry to go so he could take his new wife to lunch.

Beats the heck outta me why some sales people are so dismissive of customers. Like one guy here said, you find what you want by looking at a lot of units. It's a lot of money to invest and most people are gonna be darn sure they spend it on exactly what they want and need.

So, what'd I do? I quit looking at the dealers and got online. Also decided to look for a Class A instead of a C. Found my coach on RVTrader (private owner ad) and worked the deal with the very accommodating owner after a friend who lived nearby went and checked it all out for us. The owner met us half-way and went over everything in the coach with me before we did the deal.

Of course, I would not have bought this or any coach without having checked it out myself or having had a trustworthy friend check it out in my stead. As it turned out, we got a nice coach in our price range and couldn't be happier. Several sales people at 3 or 4 dealers' lots missed out on a commission. Their loss. Money stayed in my pocket.

Mel
Do your Pricing on line. Go in to find what you want- But Price on-line!

Go in to Test Drive . Buy anywhere in the US that prices favorably.

Take your new Coach to the factory for repairs, if necessary, or- fix it yourself or pay a craftsman to fix the unit. You can afford to do that with the savings you have by buying at the best price.

The same Dealership that has Clowns for Salesman, generally has clowns for repairmen.

The Dealers try to not pay salesmen and repairmen- so do not blame the dealership employees for not treating you well- those same employees are not being treated well by the dealers they work for.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
We're presently looking for a new coach but have a trade. You should see the wide range of prices we've been offered for our trade. They want you to give your trade away at wholesale while only coming off the MSRP about 20%. Yet if your going to finance and no trade you can get 30% to 25 % off. There pretty fat right now at least the FL dealers as Tampa was a record sales year since the mid 2000's.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Before I get serious about any major purchase, I'll know already what I want, model, what color, trim level and options. Especially on vehicles. I'll plain and simply say what is your "out the door" price. I'll do my research beforehand and have a piece of paper in my hand with "my" price or price range.

And I get that too, where a person will judge me by the way I dress, look?...walk. As a salesperson, you can't judge a person that way. You just never know..that person might just be able to right you a check for the whole purchase price.

Long story short. My last RV (tt) purchase my final actual purchase price was 50% (half) of what I was first quoted as a "out the door" price from the first dealer for the exact same RV.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale