RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Salvage Title

Hello Everyone, I was just curious if anyone has bought a Fifth wheel with a salvage title. It's a 2020 Grand Design 380FL which was damaged in transit. Story is there was minor damage to the rear when the transport company hit another RV when pulling out. RV was fixed with all factory parts, around 1k in repairs, but other than no factory warranty what would be the downside?

They are asking around 20-30k below retail, not MSRP.

Srtfm09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srtfm09 View Post
Hello Everyone, I was just curious if anyone has bought a Fifth wheel with a salvage title. It's a 2020 Grand Design 380FL which was damaged in transit. Story is there was minor damage to the rear when the transport company hit another RV when pulling out. RV was fixed with all factory parts, around 1k in repairs, but other than no factory warranty what would be the downside?

They are asking around 20-30k below retail, not MSRP.
Get the VIN number and ask the manufacturer for the history.

carl.swoyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Greatly reduced resale value and potentially uninsurable for comprehensive or collision. On a side note, if the fifth wheel only had 1,000 dollars in repairs they would not have issued a salvage title. Something sounds fishy.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Greatly reduced resale value and potentially uninsurable for comprehensive or collision. On a side note, if the fifth wheel only had 1,000 dollars in repairs they would not have issued a salvage title. Something sounds fishy.
X2 on that!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

I would say a salvage title makes it worth less than half of the retail value. Resale is going to be near impossible because banks generally wont finance something with a salvage title. This will rule out a good portion of potential buyers. Maybe if you are going to keep it forever it might be worth considering. Forever is a long time in rv land. Considering this rv is worth well over 100k, I seriously doubt they would put a salvage title on it for a thousand bucks.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I would say a salvage title makes it worth less than half of the retail value. Resale is going to be near impossible because banks generally wont finance something with a salvage title. This will rule out a good portion of potential buyers. Maybe if you are going to keep it forever it might be worth considering. Forever is a long time in rv land. Considering this rv is worth well over 100k, I seriously doubt they would put a salvage title on it for a thousand bucks.
My thoughts exactly, as were those ahead of Winnimam’s. I wouldn’t buy a salvage titled vehicle, not knowing exactly what happened. It appears you are being deceived right out of the blocks with no comeback.

I’d advise move on. Buy something else we’ll taken care of, and already depreciated. At least it will have resale value and be insurable.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers

DJ
Old 12-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #7

Check if your state laws will license a salvage title vehicle. Some won't on cars - I don't know about trailers.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Another vote for 'something is fishy'. As far as *I* know, a salvage title indicates damage at or near the 'totaled' value, not a mere $1000 in damages. If that were the case then every little fender bender accident would be cause for a salvage title.
In general, I'm OK with a salvage title as long as it's a GREAT price, but on that particular one you should run away because it seems that they are starting out lying to you.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've purchased automobiles with salvage title. I ask for before/after photos and any other documentation to show damage/repair.

Resale value on salvage title is very bad. (if re-sale is important to you)

Check with your insurance company to make sure you know their rules on insurance / payouts on a salvaged title.

Check your DMV on titling / registration /inspection of salvaged title.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #10

Salvage title usually means the insurance company deemed repairs exceeded book value.
If it was a $1000 parking lot booboo it wouldn't have a salvage title. Something sounds bofongu in Dallas. Stay away.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #11

What everybody else has already said. I would dig deeper if you're really interested.

It's possible that a salvage title on a new vehicle that has never been titled has a little different meaning than on a used vehicle that has already been titled.

Maybe it only had a $1,000 repair for the bump but then sat underwater for a week.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
I would double check with your Insurance agent regarding comp and collision. It varies.

I just asked my insurance agent and she said that if the damage has been repaired that comp and collision would be no problem.
Pnw_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #13

Many insurance companies will only sell liability an property damage on a salvage titled vehicle. If you are comfortable with that, don't buy separate ins, your truck insurance may cover whatever you are towing-while attached together.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Actually this could be very common. Since it was damaged in transit and the damage was more than superficial they cannot sell it as new. Thus salvage.
Now the amout off the asking or MSRP price can be had on a brand new full warranty unit also. So their discount is not enough IMHO.