Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So sick of looking for tires

I can't count how many places I have looked at. Either they don't have my year MH (1982) most only go to 1983, most don't list 19.5. just 19 and brands ?????? I need to replace mine (all of them including the spare.)
Now I hear of Samson. I am strapped for cash so I can't afford the big name brands. I have Goodyear on my 99 deville Love them, I have Hankooks on my 64 deville love them. I have Bridgestones on the rears of the MH and have Michelin on the steers of the MH really like them too. Whats a guy too do?
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #44

spritz.. I feel your pain..I can't help but think if you monitor your pressures everything will work out. I like to buy American, but there's a budget to think of. Safety your concern, know what pressures you should be at. Don't know what sizes you need, but Samson, Double Coin, or Hercules might be the ticket. Truckers like em. You could opt for the most pricey, and stay home. I'm not trying to sell the China made tire, but what do you do? Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spritz - I've got about 5000 miles on my Samson 19.5's without problem. They run cool to the touch and are as smooth as any other I've had. I have 90 pounds in them on the front and rear.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #46

Samson tires

I just put 6 new 225 70 19.5 Samsons on my 1996 Allegro. I read many posts on a number of RV sites I found that a number of people have then a like them. I had mine spin balanced and the ride great better than my old Michelins the price was great $1320 complete. I just got back from a trip I have about 500 miles on them. I was worried about the G load rating my old tires were F but they ride just fine. I'm running 85 psi and they were not hot to the touch. I very pleased and not broke. Keep them shining
Old 10-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
Put 2 steer tires from Samson on RV, and they ride fine, less than $500 for 2 (balanced & stems). Many truckers use them. Mine were made in China by same outfit that makes brand name tires sold in US.
IMHO, Not true! Maybe a trucker that hauls grain to town 10 miles away, or the guy that hauls from a quarry to construction sites, Maybe? But all the real over the road truckers, that haul long distance, NO, They buy name brand tires, me included, all my buddies, they all own and operate their trucks, and would not think of putting a china made tire on, Period! Had one friend try the Double coin tires,, got a great deal!!! Put new Stones on in less than a year! Just not worth it!! JMHO!! It's your MH, you put whatever you feel the best with, but when you say "many truckers" Just know, that most of the O/O out their are running The big 3 Tires, Mich, Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyears, then the Japanese made tires. The next time you stop at a truck stop, park off to the side and take a short stroll down the front row of the trucks sitting there, make a note of what tire brands you see on the steer's of the trucks you walk past, it will give you a really good idea! You will be surprised how many of the same brands you will see, on the Co. owned trucks and the O/O owned trucks! the big 3, over and over! Rail!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #48

guardrail53, your freind that got a years worth of service on the Double Coins put more miles on those tires than I will on mine before they date out. All I know is the Samsons on my RV give a good ride. The steers have about 5k miles, on the rear, 500 miles. Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-30-2014, 02:37 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-lane View Post
guardrail53, your freind that got a years worth of service on the Double Coins put more miles on those tires than I will on mine before they date out. All I know is the Samsons on my RV give a good ride. The steers have about 5k miles, on the rear, 500 miles. Just my 2 cents...
You are so right, he got about 50,000 mi's on them before they started cupping and wearing weird! But in the trucking world, 50,000 mi's on your tires is nothing! Just saying, I got around 350,000 mi's on mine before I had to replace them. (Bridgestones) drives, and anywhere from 90,000 to 120,000 on the steers. And I am sure your Samson's will be fine, just keep a close eye on the pressures, as that is what kills them faster than anything! So you are very right, he got about half of what he would have gotten from the name brand, and paid about half, so a wash, so to speak, other than the time and expensive mounting and balance, stem's, and the recycle costs to dispose of the old tires! Thanks, Rail!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My option...

Falken, and very happy. price not "cheap" but not up there with GY, Mich or others, let's say moderate, many new cars use them too. For me, good compromise.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #51

Just finished a 1500 mile trip to Dallas and back, riding 6 new Samsons. 95psi on steers and 100 on the rear. Air pressures increased about 12 psi during driving, equally.

The ride was fine...other than road surface conditions. Smooth road = smooth ride.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Many year ago, when I first got married, I ended up working for the local General Tire dealer in Rochester NY. They had a machine that would shave the high spots off a tire. You would be surprised at how many "name brand" tires were not true..

I am going to presume that in order for Samson Tires to be sold in the US, they will need DOT number on them, indicating they are safe for use in the United States. and, they meet US Department of transportation standards.

If you are like My Wife and I, We just don't use it enough and we'll never wear out a Motor Home tire. The 5 year date code - rule of thumb, will pop up before you most likely have worn 5/32 of tread off them..

Proper tire maintenance is the key factor here... NEVER use tire dressing on your tires; it extracts the oils in the rubber and will lead to dry-rot. Have your coach weighed, maintain proper air pressure in the tires (do this in the morning). Do not over load your coach, .. keep an eye on the speed limit. Samson tires are H rated, with a top speed of 80.. Lastly be sure your chassis suspension is in good order.. no loose components and a good alignment.

I've seen name brand tires blow with less then 5K on them, while off brands lasted 45,000 miles. I see nothing wrong with using Samson tires on a Motor Home. A good tire for a good price.... Finally, it is my understanding there is no difference between a "Truck Tire" and a "Motor Home tire" except for the number of ply's... the more ply's, the stronger the tire the harder the ride (never know it with air suspension) the better to reject road hazards.

I plan to put 6 new Samson's on our DP. I will have all 6 tires shaved to remove any high spots and the front two balanced.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #53

I just finished trip to AZ about 3500 miles. Mostly 65mph, DP,275/70r/22.5,3500 lbs toad. One tire down 3lbs half way, the only time I aired up. I check the air pressure every time I hit the road. They dont show any wear, ride nice, so Im happy with them.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #54

SWAG = Scientific Wise A$$ Guess.....or least in the unruly circle I revolve with.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #55

ecurb74, please explain response.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning All,
If I may,

1st, How about road noise or tire noise.?
My current tires are Mixed, (Bridgestones,Michelin's), although old they sure make a lot of noise going down the HWY. I have Goodyear Endurance on my 99 deville, and have Hankook's on my 64 Caddie and hardly hear any tire noise

2nd. What about Valve extension's, I've read a lot about pro's and con's?
I currently have to remove the Hub Caps to check air pressure, and a huge PITA??
Thanks for any Direction,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires