Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Please advise where this fee quote comes from....And, since the SDPD uses their RSVP for parking enforcement, I have little doubt that these $100 tickets will be coming fast and furious!
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Okay, I found these in the dockets of the second council meeting (07/23/13) in which they approved the ordinance pending a decision by the Coastal Commission -

"City residents and their guests would be eligible to receive permits to park recreational vehicles for up to 24 hours, as long as the recreational vehicle is parked in the same block as the address of the residence. No more than 72 permits could be issued to any one address in any calendar year, and permits could not be issued for consecutive periods greater than 72 hours without at least 24 hours between permits. A fee would be charged for each permit, in order to recover the cost of implementation and enforcement of the proposed ordinance. The amount of the fee will be determined by City staff, and subject to approval of the City Council. At this time, the fee is suggested to be $1.00 for a 24 hour permit."

"To be fully cost recoverable for the permitting costs, using the estimated number of permit applications from 2008, the permitting fee would be $2.00 (rounded to the nearest 25 cent) for the pilot program and $2.50 (rounded to the nearest 25 cent) for the city-wide program. The previous proposed fee from the 2008 financial analysis was $3.50 per permit for both the pilot and city-wide programs. The projected permit fees are lower than previous estimates due to a reduction in the proposed processing costs."

I agree - during the day they'll undoubtedly be making the most of RSVPs when writing citations for parking within 50 feet of an intersection, but I'm not sure they (and parking enforcement) work during the 2am to 6am parking ban. That'll probably fall on SDPD officers.
They don't seem to have settled on an exact figure for the permits yet, but the $2 I read about seems to be in the ballpark.
One other thing - unless I'm missing something, you need a friend with an address within the city and parking on their block if you want to buy a permit. If you're visiting San Diego at a busy time and the local campgrounds are full, be warned that a $100 ticket awaits unless you get out of town every night.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunnerxx View Post
Just for some clarity on this issue. Is the ban only for using the RV on the street or does it also cover parking it empty there overnight?
It's a ban on parking an RV (empty or otherwise), oversized vehicle, or trailer of any kind between 2am and 6am without the required permit, and a blanket ban at any time of parking any of the above within 50 feet of an intersection.
The Coastal Commission will undoubtedly side with the City Council on this one, so it's pretty much a done deal. The timeline for implementation is still up in the air, but if it is indeed the moneymaker they claim it will be, they'll get it up and running as soon as possible so they can start writing the tens of thousands of citations needed annually to fund it.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Although San Diego does have a problem (do a Google Street View search for address 1068 Cudahy Place, San Diego, CA as an example) issuing parking tickets isn't going to solve it. I'm not even sure how they even intent to enforce it either. What do they plan to do tire boot the offender? Impound the coach? All this does is quiet a squeaky wheel and the polies can say 'See we passed an ordnance'. What is probably even more ridiculous is they are probably already coming up with new pet projects to spend the money this is forecast to generate but never will.

I wish I had a reasonable solution other than getting the Marines to give up a corner of MCAS Miramar.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #32
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Although San Diego does have a problem (do a Google Street View search for address 1068 Cudahy Place, San Diego, CA as an example) issuing parking tickets isn't going to solve it. I'm not even sure how they even intent to enforce it either. What do they plan to do tire boot the offender? Impound the coach? All this does is quiet a squeaky wheel and the polies can say 'See we passed an ordnance'. What is probably even more ridiculous is they are probably already coming up with new pet projects to spend the money this is forecast to generate but never will.

I wish I had a reasonable solution other than getting the Marines to give up a corner of MCAS Miramar.
HEY!! The Marines already gave up a corner of MCAS Miramar for RV storage...my RV parks there!
See:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...45447&t=h&z=15
With over 800 spots, it is a money tree for MWR/MCCS.

But on a more serious note...At $100 for the first offence, tickets WILL be written and license plates WILL be recorded. Don't move after 72 hours - it's a tow and impound$$$. If you move and don't pay - at renewal time, the DMV will seek to collect any non-paid tickets - plus fees$$$ or you get no new stickers for your plates!

For more culprits that made this happen...check-out Google Street View of 4639 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA...and that is just a stones-throw from the CHP Station.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Well I guess the main issue is that I don't see this as fixing anything since it only targets larger rigs. The vast majority of fulltime RVs living in San Diego on the streets are smaller rigs, vans and cars. At least those are mostly the types you'll see parked at Mission Bay and Ocean Beach during the day and stealth camping the roads at night. So, it becomes just another law with very little purpose. When we lived in the area it was already a hassle to overnight. We weren't even living in the rig...we just needed to park one night to load-up our RV from our house and rules were against it. I honestly don't see this as doing much of anything other than making it harder for folks with larger rigs who, for whatever reason (maybe they live in the area, maybe they're just visiting a buddy for a night etc.), just need to park somewhere for a night.

Spot on. The last time this came up, a few years ago, we had advance warning about it. Organized a grass roots effort to stop it. This time it was slammed in without enough warning to try and make it a balanced change. IMO:
- It will do nothing to stop the problem. As the same people that broke the law before, still will. We had two laws to control overnight sleeping, and the 72 hour law too, that were never enforced.
- This was pure and simple, a revenue grab. The several thousand law abiding RV owners will now need to pay to get a permit. And the nice revenue from ticketing those who did not get a permit. They won't ticket the derelict RV's, as they know they have no money.

I sent many 'too late' emails to our representatives, pointing out we need a comprehensive homeless plan. They had a chance to pull together a multiple agency and city plan, to help this major problem. The people living in their RV's are a very minor subset of a much larger problem.

They took a short cut, pure and simple. I let my city rep know, he sponsored the change, that I will be reviewing his campaign contributions. As he was real close to a very small, but affluent, group of beach front owners.

We, law abiding RV owners - were shafted. What is more fun about this, is there already was a shortage of reasonably priced storage locations - no way is their enough capacity to cover the incoming need.

Another fun point that checked a neighbor in mid sentence ( he stopped by to chat about this, knowing I fought it last time). He did not know that oversized included anything over 7' tall. He has a big tire, lifted, truck. He legally will not be able to park in front of his own home. For two reasons: 1) Too tall. 2) Within 50' of the corner.

Very poorly thought out new law.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
... The last time this came up, a few years ago, we had advance warning about it. Organized a grass roots effort to stop it. This time it was slammed in without enough warning to try and make it a balanced change...
Smitty - you might still have your say, although I personally feel that the chances of this ordinance being derailed are slim to none because I don't think any of the elected officials involved are willing to listen. It has to be approved by the Coastal Commission first. They'll say yea or nay to it's implementation in the beach communities, and if it meets with their approval it'll be brought in city-wide as soon as 30 days later. I checked the Commission's schedule and they'll be holding a meeting in San Diego on October 9-11 (they also have one in Eureka in September, but they only publicize the agenda for the current month). I'm guessing this ordinance will be saved for the October date, and the public are welcome to weigh in on the subject.

California Coastal Commission Meeting Dates & Locations
Old 08-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The San Diego City Neighborhood Parking Protection Ordnance is now law.
http://www.sandiego.gov/parking/pdf/...sfactsheet.pdf

The California Costal Commission replied that their concurrence was not needed, so the City Council enacted the ordnance starting 08/17.

After a grace period of 17-31 Aug, each violation will be issued a no-fine warning, then ticketed.

Here's the trick~
For non-city residents - permits ARE NOT available.
The permit application requires 2 forms of proof of residency with the specific license plate from the vehicle.

For City residents - permits will cost $2 for each 2am-6am period covered and will be issued for no more than 3 consecutive nights (72hours). A cap for each resident is 72 permitted dates each year.

Forewarned is forearmed.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
The rule is justifiable in my opinion. The weather there is rated as the best (most even) in the U.S. so people of a certain type flock there.

What used to have many names like Bum, Tramp, Vagabond, and many other names are all now called homeless so those that make profits from them enlarged their claim flock! Ed
Are you referring to Canadians ?
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It seems pretty obvious. Any way you can raise a buck do it and to He** with who it hurts or how it may effect the average person who tries to do everything correctly. Why make a law to pick on everybody instead of ticketing those that live in their RV??? Same old story. Don't hold people accountable for their actions just try to legislate morality. Make more rules and regulations that will get lost in the shuffle.
I realize CA has a lot to see but I'll see all I can in the other 49 before I do CA.

JM2CW
TeJay
Why penalized the homeless who find living in a RV an alternative than living on the streets. It's just another unfair law to raise revenue period.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #38

I don't see it as being unfair when people, especially in California, are paying outrageous amounts of money every year in taxes to support the city and their community. Many homeless are there because they chose to. Yes, some get caught up in the system and just can't get out of their situation. However, again you have someone asking for those that do their part to better our society to just chuck it all so a few can suck off of our fruits.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #39

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeavorV10 View Post
I for one can understand how home owners feel when somebody parks their RV in front of their house and empty the tanks there, hang out laundry etc... I read some of the articles when this was being reported more back in 2007. The pictures of what people were doing there were disgusting. Granted not all were that bad but a few always ruin it for everybody else.

But honestly, I don't care of its a million dollar Prevost I wouldn't want it in front of my house taking up my parking or guest parking. I feel for those that live in them out of necessity but there are other places to go.

Of course it's easy to sit behind my keyboard and spout off in my air conditioned office all comfy when they may not know where their next meal is coming from.
Right on, Brother! There, but for the Grace of God, go I.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
It would seem to me that if they are living in their RVs then they aren't homeless. Otherwise there are a lot of homeless people out there with very expensive non-homes.
But, SF doesn't get to collect property tax from you!