Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Another overzelous political solution to a problem, tax the people than support everyone. Been to SD once, that was once too many, as far as I'm concerned California doesn't exist. They cost me, along with every other vehicle owner enough money with their polution control [ moderator edit ]
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #16

The rule is justifiable in my opinion. The weather there is rated as the best (most even) in the U.S. so people of a certain type flock there.

What used to have many names like Bum, Tramp, Vagabond, and many other names are all now called homeless so those that make profits from them enlarged their claim flock!

Truly Homeless (those that WANT a home and are willing to pay for it) are far and few in between, and are by nature, in a temporary fix, and the only "Homeless" I help.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #17

Back when I was a swab jockey, Virginia Beach had an ordinance against sleeping in vehicles parked on city streets. Back then you had to be in dress uniforms to leave the ship, Being a poor sailor, hotels were out of reach, so I had a sports car TR250, I bought a toneau cover & spent the night stretched out over the two seats,under cover.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Well I guess the main issue is that I don't see this as fixing anything since it only targets larger rigs. The vast majority of fulltime RVs living in San Diego on the streets are smaller rigs, vans and cars. At least those are mostly the types you'll see parked at Mission Bay and Ocean Beach during the day and stealth camping the roads at night. So, it becomes just another law with very little purpose. When we lived in the area it was already a hassle to overnight. We weren't even living in the rig...we just needed to park one night to load-up our RV from our house and rules were against it. I honestly don't see this as doing much of anything other than making it harder for folks with larger rigs who, for whatever reason (maybe they live in the area, maybe they're just visiting a buddy for a night etc.), just need to park somewhere for a night.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #19

By far, the most common "rig" you will see lining the streets down by Mission Bay are raggedy, old, barely functional, Class C motorhomes. They park along side streets, in business districts, etc. They have all manner of junk tied on them, often have body damage, and are all at least 20 years old. The owners truly are, more often than not, just a blown head gasket away from being truly homeless. No criticism of them as individuals, but I would not want one or more of these vehicles parked on my street. That being said, I think the city can do a more intelligent job of solving the problem. This is primarily a revenue opportunity in the eyes of the clowns who run the city. Despite what some of you might think, San Diego is truly a fantastic city to live in and/or to visit. Just the right weather, just the right size. There are lots of great destinations and great RV parks to stay in. I just hope they don't mess with RVer's ability to park down by the beach or the bay for the day. If that day comes, it should result in serious outrage on the part of RV owners.

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #20

Our town in NJ has a ban on RV street parking as well - I get 2 hours to load or unload, and then it has to be off the roadway. I'm not even supposed to park it in my driveway (though many people do - I can't, my driveway is too steep) - if I park it on my property, it has to be to the back of the property and as inconspicuous as possible. Of course, I live on a hill, on a corner, and in order to get it on my property I'd have to apply for a variance to cut a 2nd apron into the 'unbuilt' side of my property so that I could get it into the yard at all. Chances of that being approved are somewhere between 'fat chance' and 'hahahahahahaha'
Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #21

I for one can understand how home owners feel when somebody parks their RV in front of their house and empty the tanks there, hang out laundry etc... I read some of the articles when this was being reported more back in 2007. The pictures of what people were doing there were disgusting. Granted not all were that bad but a few always ruin it for everybody else.

But honestly, I don't care of its a million dollar Prevost I wouldn't want it in front of my house taking up my parking or guest parking. I feel for those that live in them out of necessity but there are other places to go.

Of course it's easy to sit behind my keyboard and spout off in my air conditioned office all comfy when they may not know where their next meal is coming from.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksdad View Post
A whopping $2. The only problem with that is they're planning on generating $2.8 million a year from permits and citations, and at $2 a pop you can reckon that a lot of tickets will be written to make up the shortfall, so visitors should be aware of what will get them a citation and tread carefully.
On a local note, the City Council themselves have admitted that one of their own studies shows that local storage facilities have far fewer spaces than the number that will be needed by local residents when they have to move off the streets, and they stilled voted 7-0 in favor of a ban.
Please advise where this fee quote comes from.

The only current residential parking fee schedule I can find is the $14.00 annual permit for urban area neighborhoods.
Residential Permit Parking Application | Parking

BUT - This new law is reported as only having a 1 time permit allowance for residents to load and unload.

Can't find any system the city has set to even issue these permits.

I have an RV storage spot, so this will only be an annoyance, but without a load/unload permit, I am sure I will be the subject of a neighbor complaint if I bring the RV home for set-up, without the permit...probably even if I do have a permit

And, since the SDPD uses their RSVP for parking enforcement, I have little doubt that these $100 tickets will be coming fast and furious!

The law just has to pass the California Costal Commission.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #23

Just for some clarity on this issue. Is the ban only for using the RV on the street or does it also cover parking it empty there overnight? Here we have bylaws against storing your RV on the street or on your driveway for more than 36 hours ( I think) so you can stil load and unload at home. The bylaw is however only enforced on a complaint basis. The thought here was an RV is a large vehicle which can cause a safety issue with sight lines and basically makes the area look a bit junky if everyone stored theirs on the road. It's been this way here for years and years now and people seen to have accepted it. When we moved to town we bought on a corner so I have mine in the backyard. As previously stated, too bad the ban in SD will not prevent the problem it's supposed to address. Thanks for the info.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #24

Lets see, they want to ticket what is being termed the "homeless" living in these dilapidated RV's because they have become a blight on the city, right? Well, if these folks can't afford to live somewhere else, what makes the brilliant city leaders think they will bother to pay the fines to reach their budgeted goal of $2.8 mil? To me this just seems to be another example of stupid laws by even stupider politicians that the effect of the legislation will cause a bigger problem than they originally thought their petty little laws would correct. What now will they do with those that do not pay, lock them up, and at what cost to the city and tax payers? Or will enough honest respectable RV'ers be snagged in their compliance net that will pay the fine to offset the dead beats that can't/won't?
To those that have posted about not being able to park your RV at your own home overnight to load/un-load, where the heck do you live, Communist China! That would be the day I would live anywhere near any of these communities and I question why would anybody else?
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunnerxx View Post
Just for some clarity on this issue. Is the ban only for using the RV on the street or does it also cover parking it empty there overnight? Here we have bylaws against storing your RV on the street or on your driveway for more than 36 hours ( I think) so you can stil load and unload at home. The bylaw is however only enforced on a complaint basis. The thought here was an RV is a large vehicle which can cause a safety issue with sight lines and basically makes the area look a bit junky if everyone stored theirs on the road. It's been this way here for years and years now and people seen to have accepted it. When we moved to town we bought on a corner so I have mine in the backyard. As previously stated, too bad the ban in SD will not prevent the problem it's supposed to address. Thanks for the info.
It is a parking ban. All city streets from 2-6am 7 days a week.

It is not yet in force. Has to pass the Almighty California Coastal Commission.

We do have a real issue with persons living in old RV's in many areas, especially near the beach communities...this is sledgehammer rules for a problem that would not be "politically correct" to enforce (poor and unfortunate individuals).

Hope that helps
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

BUT - This new law is reported as only having a 1 time permit allowance for residents to load and unload..
That would be a darn shame. Definitely a sledge hammer approach to the problem that they really want to solve (people living fulltime in their older rigs on the streets).

When we originally loaded our rig in Del Mar it was so difficult/convoluted to obtain a permit that we just decided to park illegally for the night, talk to our neighbors and hope we didn't get a ticket. Seemed a lot of trouble for what really shouldn't be.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
That would be a darn shame. Definitely a sledge hammer approach to the problem that they really want to solve (people living fulltime in their older rigs on the streets).

When we originally loaded our rig in Del Mar it was so difficult/convoluted to obtain a permit that we just decided to park illegally for the night, talk to our neighbors and hope we didn't get a ticket. Seemed a lot of trouble for what really shouldn't be.
Ah, Del Mar...

...Truly the political future of San Diego...just wait 5-7 years and San Diego will copy Del Mar's rulebook.

But first, we just have to get through the current scandal with "Filth Fillner"
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #28

[moderator edit], San Diego.

They are out to punish poor people who already don't have much money by taking away even more of their money. It's a great way to keep people impoverished, you have to admit.

Much like how banks charge you for overdrawing, no matter the amount. If you don't have the money to pay the transaction to begin with, how do you have the money to pay the fee?

I have overdraft protection OFF with my bank account because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $35 on a 50 cent overdraft.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote