Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
MLP

Sani-Con Macerator

In advance of setting up my DP for a 3 month stay at a location that featured a remote dump station - I purchased new a Thetford Sani-Con macerating system. As new it worked perfectly - pumping poop 112 ft. from my coach up a 5ft grade (used a nice 1"ID commercial hose)
Problem is after a 6 month full time segment of use (2 people) the system has become difficult to use.
The macerator blades are dull - capture hair (even with sink/shower drain screens) requiring periodic tear down to clean, and the "gray water bi-pass" clogs up.
The macerator pump seems high quality - but Thetford's poor workmanship as they modify household plumbing and yard irrigation plastic parts to achieve the "gray water bi-pass" results in many traps for "debris" which requires additional tear down
Has anyone modified the gray water bi-pass to flow better?
Has anyone solved for the pump clogging?
Talking to Thetford - u would get further talking to a cinder block...
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #2

Sometimes technology is too smart for the simple solutions. I will keep my RhinoFlex and never have to unclog or tear down a "poo-pump". Just my 2 cents but good luck with your project.
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! I agree that simple is often better, but 112 ft of Rhinoflex isn't a great choice either!

I've never had a Sani-con with gray water bypass. We just carried the simple model in a toolbox and connected it to the drain when needed. Again, the simplet method rather than the elegant one.

Any macerator is susceptible to clogs, though, especially if there is even moderately long hair in the waste. Other stringy debris, like the remains of some TP or sani-wipes. Stuff like that winds around things rather than getting shredded or crunched.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #4

After rebuilding many macerator pumps, (it's a crappy job"), I never want to see one again. It's not if they fail, it's when. Usually not the chopping blades, it's normally the rubber impeller vane blades. One blade will sheer and take a few more with it, often plugging the hose at the output. Plus, the blades set in a compressed mode during periods of non use. When you next start it up, the blades sheer.

You can buy the blades and if you insist on using a macerator, keeping a spare impeller is a good idea. It is a simple repair and all that is needed are a few simple hand tools, rubber gloves, and a clothespin. Also as a preventative measure, a non-petroleum lube shot into the intake before storing the pump will help it to last a little longer between impeller changes.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using a SaniCon for over 12 years in two different coaches. The first generation model had some issues with the grey water bypass. I disassembled and drilled the holes in the 90 degree bends (plastic) out a little larger. I also made sure there was enough clear pipe that it wasn't kinked in any way. After that, never an issue. Before my new coach even came home, I had ordered a new SaniCon. The new one had a larger grey water bypass and has not been an issue.

The only time I had an issue with mine was when someone threw a moist towelette down the toilet. It clogged the SaniCon pump. I also service mine with a new impeller and gasket about every three years.

Lastly, if you're having issues with the grey water bypass, you might want to rinse your dishes a little better. There is a simple way to clear any obstructions in the grey water bypass. Close both drain valves and turn on the SaniCon. You'll see the 3" SaniCon hose constrict. Once it constricts, open the grey valve. It will suck any debris out of the bypass and into the drain.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Find another campground that has hookups located correctly.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Only problem I had with mine was when my wife put dental floss down the toilet. It raped itself around the shaft and stopped the motor from turning. A simple job and my wife never puts anything down the toilet except our DNA.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #8
MLP

SaniCon Macerator - Overview

Thanks a ton for the responses - Dutch Star Don is the one I was looking for
FYI - I parked the coach on an 600 acre industrial complex in SC - fulfilling a 90 day contact to support a major cap-x installation - I had a choice - be close to 50amps and fresh water or close to the dump - the SaniCon unit was the easiest solution. Plus I'm making a return visit.
We tend to operate on the sensible side, no wipes or other "non-DNA" make it in the system - as Don recognized - the manufacturer didn't execute on an important element of the device.
Now planning for an engineering change - but "going back to gravity" advice is hard to ignore
Thinking...
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace