Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #15

Poo is not good.
On the otherhand....
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444169759.135758.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	108945

I've never caught the bad stuff. Don't know any that have. I DO wash my hands, wear corrective lenses, and keep my mouth shut!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You can't be paralyzed by everything outside the front door of your stick and brick house. People have been drinking from water tanks, hoses, wells, etc. for hundreds of years, now it's not safe? Every faucet in your house is just inches from the drain.....do you not use the faucets/water in your house?

Millions of people RV and you don't see any epidemics from tainted water.

If you want to worry about something that is loaded with germs, check the bottom of your wife's purse. One of the nastiest places on earth. They get set down on every filthy surface around.
No one here is advocating being frightened to death of everything. We just say spray some bleach solution, wear gloves, and don't move germs and viruses from your sewer pipe to your fresh water.

I'm going to guess you don't take those precautions and you don't worry about it, am I correct?
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gees, so many rocket scientists, not enough rockets.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I (and many others) are amazed that folks actually drink from their RV water tanks...we boondocked with groups for years and didn't realize people actually did until we joined several RV forums..yuck... we carry bottle water..

So it is all perspective..
And what did we all do when there wasn't bottled water
Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
And what did we all do when there wasn't bottled water
And bottled water isn't regulated near as much as what comes out of your tap.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Minnesota51".....I'm guessing that you were concerned enough to start a post about it.

You're right, I don't get all worked up about connections. I use a SaniCon macerator and don't ever see the waste or come in contact with it. I walk outside without booties and connect/disconnect my hoses without gloves. After fueling or connecting/disconnecting hoses I use wipes that I keep near the front door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I'll add a bathroom pet peeve to the sanitation list. How many think using a public bathroom of the door knob used by unwashed hands on the way out. When I see this happening I want to follow and say I don't want to shake hands with what he/she just played with. Or baby changing, clean the baby but not your own hands. As to the proximity of poo to fresh water use think of where you brush your teeth in your home be it RV or Sticks.

LEN
Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I don't wear gloves when I dump the black tank because I wore them when I filled it up.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I (and many others) are amazed that folks actually drink from their RV water tanks...we boondocked with groups for years and didn't realize people actually did until we joined several RV forums..yuck... we carry bottle water..

I can see the entire inside of my fresh water tank, and it's as spotless as the inside of any vessel I've ever seen!
Now, the pipes in the ground that feed "fresh" water to my home.... who knows !
Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #24

Quote:

REALLY
Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
We fill our fresh water with city water, and figure that anything that survives all of the "mixture" that the municipality puts in can't hurt us. Besides, most of our late afternoon and evening drinks contain alcohol so water isn't an issue!

As for the black tank connection and the water hookup on our coach, a spray bottle of bleach solution (cap-full of bleach in a 12 oz spray bottle) is always handy and used liberally, along with disposable gloves and hand sanitizer.
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:27 PM   #26

Many times (in State Parks mostly) I've had to do a little cleaning when I pull into a site because of the laziness or ineptitude of the previous occupant.

I mostly stay at sites with full hookups so never use my freshwater tank. Even though I drank from many garden hoses as a kid, it's something I don't do anymore. In fact, I don't drink bottled water because I've actually seen some testing done on a few that are on the market.

I have a "Life-Mist" water distiller, and that is what I drink, wash vegetables with, and cook with.
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #27

While I think this convention / worry is a bit humorous given all the other health risks people take every day (like eating off a Golden Corral buffet), I do find it easy enough to spray the fresh waters connections with a sanitizer before hooking up.

As a newbie, I originally used a bleach based spray, but found that it corodes brass fittings, and will discolor other surfaces (not just bleach spots on clothing, but painted metal and plastics), so I have changed to another type of spray disinfectant.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
While I think this convention / worry is a bit humorous given all the other health risks people take every day (like eating off a Golden Corral buffet), I do find it easy enough to spray the fresh waters connections with a sanitizer before hooking up.

As a newbie, I originally used a bleach based spray, but found that it corodes brass fittings, and will discolor other surfaces (not just bleach spots on clothing, but painted metal and plastics), so I have changed to another type of spray disinfectant.
What do you use now?
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleanliness, fresh water, sanitation, sewage, water