Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
What do you use now?
Something like a Lysol type disinfectant / cleaner. Lots of them out there, I just wanted something other than a bleach based product.

I spray it on the faucet first thing in when I start my hook up process so it sits full strength for a few minutes. I also spray my Y splitter connections that I attach first, the ends of my in line filter, and my hose ends (do my best to keep them off the ground) as I hook everything up...... I keep all of them in a separate bin in the bay next to the wet bay, with the filter and Y in a plastic bag so they don't touch the hose that obviously sits on the ground.

May not be perfect, but not going to get too carried away either (ok, after reading this, maybe I am getting carried away, but it's not like it adds any real time to hooking up .

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am retired from the water treatment plant at an Air Force Base and I would rather drink from the water treated than bottled water. By the way, A lot of bottled water is simply water from a municipal treatment plant. Believe it or not!
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the MetalTrap Ultra Dual Filtration System. It keeps all water coming into coach safe from contaminates.

I have a dedicated hose for the SantiFlush that rinses the black tank and one for the water to the coach. They attach to the park water bib with a Y. The flush hose has a quick disconnect and a spay gun nozzel that connects to it. The water / sewer bay and its contents get a good spray down when the sewer hose is put away.

I keep a bottle of dish soap in the bay and a roll of shop paper towels is on its holder to the right of hot and cold water faucet in the bay. When dumping is complete I wash my hands with hot water and dry them off. No gloves - soap and water. Solid filtration system. Everything well rinsed and flushed when stowed. Seems tobwork for me.

I once picked up a germ when cleaning the grids on my swimming pool filter. I have never had a problem from rv dumping or a park water bib.

I'm not sure why most rvs are so short on water filtration. I have seen some pretty bad water at some parks. Usually well water but not always. Test kits are a good idea. You can check what comes out of the supply versus what comes out of the tap. I think this is more important and a bigger potential health risk than using a well set up sewer system. No leaks, well rinsed, no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444398943886.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	109141  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I'm not sure why most rvs are so short on water filtration. I have seen some pretty bad water at some parks. Usually well water but not always. Test kits are a good idea. You can check what comes out of the supply versus what comes out of the tap. I think this is more important and a bigger potential health risk than using a well set up sewer system. No leaks, well rinsed, no problems.

Agreed!
There are tools for us to use that make water safer.
Water filtration is something seldom seen, except for the 30 dollar itty bitty hose type that many folks seldom change. And a water softener that make for clean hoses and pipes, water-spot free shower stalls, softer skin, faucet strainers free from alkaline crystal build up, etc.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #33

For RV water filters and great information on what kind you need, look at this site:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

If you have questions, he's very knowledgeable and will gladly help.

We used a good filter going into our fresh water tank and one at our kitchen faucet. We always drank from our water tank - 16 years of public parks, mostly. We got our water from all sources (except the grocery store).
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
For RV water filters and great information on what kind you need, look at this site:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

If you have questions, he's very knowledgeable and will gladly help.

We used a good filter going into our fresh water tank and one at our kitchen faucet. We always drank from our water tank - 16 years of public parks, mostly. We got our water from all sources (except the grocery store).
I bought their 200 psi hoses...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sanitation and fresh water close to sewer hole

Quote:
. grassy wrote:
.....I (and many others) are amazed that folks actually drink from their RV water tanks...we boondocked with groups for years and didn't realize people actually did until we joined several RV forums..yuck... we carry bottle water..

So it is all perspective.. ....
Sickly, adjective;

1). not strong; unhealthy; ailing.
2). arising from ill health: a sickly complexion.
3). marked by the prevalence of ill health.....

Now, we've all known sickly people, seemingly from a wide cross section of the population. Business people, sales people, administrators..... but think back now- ever met a sickly plumber? Or a sickly construction worker for that matter, or truck driver or bus driver? Probably not. People with broad exposure develop an immune system that works.

Years ago everyone drank tap water at home, and caught a cold drink from a green garden hose on a hot summer day. Most areas in the U.S. have some of the purest public drinking water in the world. We drank tap water at home until yuppies in the 80s decided Perrier and Evian water were oh so fashionable, and clever marketers played upon peoples' fears and egos and convinced millions of easy gullible marks that their tap water was unacceptable and bottled water was safer and smarter-- bottled water that is predominantly just someone else's tap water. What utter crap.

We use our onboard tank continuously when required, and often enough to keep the water cycled when we have a hookup, which is usually, with no ill effects.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #36
MPH

I keep a box of disposable gloves (like medical exam gloves or the kind you can get in paint stores) and wear a pair when hooking up the sewer hose or unhooking. I use a pair one time only, then toss them.

I keep a spray can of Lysol disinfectant in the utility bay and spray it over everything after unhooking the sewer hose.

Never have had a problem so far!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Strictly Perrier for me!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess building codes are different wherever you go.

When we built our RV pad at home...I researched it back them. IIRC, 5 ft is the minimum distance between drinking water and sanitary sewer connections. (Florida)

Obviously, RV manufacturers code does not require 5 ft. The "wet bay" in our newly ordered coach has a sewer connection and water connection in the same bay.

If I would venture a guess. If there aren't codes and inspectors to oversee...then installers are looking to economize on trench digging. That may be the most plausible answer for why they are so close together.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was watching a guy set up his Sightseer the other day and was surprised to see that the city water hookup was right above the sewer outlet. When all done the water hose laid right on the sewer hose down to about ground level then separated to their respective hookups. Just didn't seem right to me.

Glenn
Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I guess building codes are different wherever you go.

When we built our RV pad at home...I researched it back them. IIRC, 5 ft is the minimum distance between drinking water and sanitary sewer connections. (Florida)

Obviously, RV manufacturers code does not require 5 ft. The "wet bay" in our newly ordered coach has a sewer connection and water connection in the same bay.

If I would venture a guess. If there aren't codes and inspectors to oversee...then installers are looking to economize on trench digging. That may be the most plausible answer for why they are so close together.
Here in MI we like to see a minimum of 10 feet of separation between the underground water and sewer leads coming from the street. In some cases they can be in the same (wide) trench if you have granular soils and the sewer is well below the water pipe and the pipes are on the opposite sides of the trench. And I too believe the RV manufacturers would be well advised to locate water and sewer connections in separate bays. I cringe every time I have to bring the water and sewer hoses through the same hole in the bottom of the bay.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:01 AM   #41

We have the AquaRain gravity fed water filter. You could pour swamp water through it and it comes out crystal clean. Takes contamination to just .03 microns. We've had this unit for about four years and love it! Won't leave home without it! Worth every penny, made in the USA! AquaRain | Home I hope this helps?
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLass View Post
We have the AquaRain gravity fed water filter. You could pour swamp water through it and it comes out crystal clean. Takes contamination to just .03 microns. We've had this unit for about four years and love it! Won't leave home without it! Worth every penny, made in the USA! AquaRain | Home I hope this helps?
I should mention that my wife works at public health... what the public doesn't know .... and you only have to get sick once...

Regardless, DesertLass, i looked at the site..it doesn't look like you have to plum in this unit...more like leave it on the counter and pour water in and take it out of the bottom spigot ?

How do you use it ?

Thanks..

Tags
cleanliness, fresh water, sanitation, sewage, water