Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Satellite Installation help

Need some advice.Our trailer is at a lot surrounded by a lot of trees and we were told that to get reception we need an antennae tower about 20 feet high . So we did get a portable one .Here is the issue our trailer does not have a satellite jack built into it . so my husband says we should take out the antennae and its mount and run the wire through that way . The dish itself will be on the satellite tripod .Any suggestions or better ideas ? ( for where to run the cable through )
2005dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #2

Drill a hole where need and instal a sat jack!
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
does your trailer have a CABLE in jack?
if so plug your sat dish to that and then at eh insides where its says CABLE, take that and connect it to the sat in port on the sat reciever
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
if so plug your sat dish to that and then at eh insides where its says CABLE, take that and connect it to the sat in port on the sat reciever
no it does not but someone sent me some advise about these
https://amzn.to/2s6KeYp and going through the window or door but if it is going through the antennae area to ensure that there are no unpowered splitters or other things along that line as you need a straight line
Old 05-24-2018, 03:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
Thanks for the replies . No it seems to just have the one outlet for the antennae.
Oddly enough .Its a 2005 fleetwood dakota 29bhs
You would think by the year it would !
My husband likes taking the easy way out of stuff , so basically I usually have to find help

This is what I was told later last night :

you need a "straight run" from the dish to the receiver. In our case we bypassed the antenna/cable switch to get a straight run. If you have no cable input on the trailer, the next easiest way to get the signal into the RV would utilize a small length of flat RG-6 cable to go through a window (even when the window is closed) like this one https://amzn.to/2s6KeYp . Otherwise, IMO your best bet is to come in through the refrigerator vent, if yours is on the roof and not in the side of a slide like ours is. That way you keep your over-the-air antenna intact. As a last resort, I'd use your husband's method, but perhaps you can run the satellite cable side-by-side next to the antenna cable, and therefore keep that antenna intact?

Hope this helps!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

There's lots of ways to get a cable into a trailer. I needed to do that on a 5th wheel at one time. I drilled through the wall behind the TV and installed a weatherproof coaxial connector outside, sealed with silicone.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, satellite