Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
we finnaly did it we bought a class a bounder,we are not full timers ,what is the best service we can get, for satellite service, it seems the standard service is expensive for part time any feedback would be appreciated
thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
we finnaly did it we bought a class a bounder,we are not full timers ,what is the best service we can get, for satellite service, it seems the standard service is expensive for part time any feedback would be appreciated
thanks

Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #3

IMHO Dishnetwork is the best. They get top customer ratings year in and year out. They have leading edge technology. ie..They had a DVR before the others. There customer service is good.

My advice would be to get satellite service for your home if you already don't have it. Then your not paying for part time use. You would have to pick up a spare dish which is easy to do unless you have one mounted on your RV. You can then take the receiver out of the house and put it in the RV. If you don't like that hassle, then you can have one in your RV and activate it for the camping season. I have two that are active in my house and a third that is currently inactive in my trailer. For the $5/month it is nice to not have to keep rehooking it up.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #4

I am a fulltimer, but I do agree with Kerfcutter. To pay for one just for the RV would be pretty expensive. We also have Dish Net, but either service has it's followers. I suspect that you would be happy with either. You can access the menues and use the install utilities to aim the dish when you stop, just as the installer does when he puts in a fixed dish. The main trick is to get the dish mounting properly leveled. With that done, the rest is very easy.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: If you don't have a dish on your RV you might consider a tracking dish. There are currently a few different manufacturers. It is really nice not to have to fiddle with yet another thing when parking. Ours also works while we're traveling. This may be a problem if you are distracted by a TV in the front of the MH. I don't have a problem with that and we get news (I listen if driving) etc. The downside is cost.

Dish and Direct each have advantages/disadvantages. It depends on what you want to watch. As you know the Dish system has two satellites. Most RV systems require a switch to change between the two, but that may be changing. Something to check.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #6

I have a King Dome auto tracking system on the coach (Standard on the Gold) but I also have a portable dish because trees can block the roof mounted dome.

I bought a satellite finder for use with the protable dish, works great and eliminates the yelling back and forth between the wife and I when setting up the dish. You can order them on-line from radio shack or several other places, just make sure you also have a compass to give you the starting point.

Alarmguy
04 See Ya Gold (40' MH)
00 Voyager (toad)
90 El Dorado class C (spare)
Old 11-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #7

We have Direct TV plus the one on the RV and an antenna for local. Works most of the time but have had trouble with local unless there is cable in the area we are at. Sometimes in remote areas we would be lost without our Direct TV. Have had it for almost 4 years and no problems.