Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Satellite Tv questions

Hello everyone here is my question. I currently have Direct genie installed at home and we will be going on the road in a few months. We have a 2003 Allegro with an old crank up dish on the roof and an old dish receiver box inside. I'm not looking for much just to be able to watch record a few shows and watch them later. What would be the least expensive thing to do? Can I use the Genie DVR to record off of the parks cable? Or does it need to be hooked into the satellite system in order to function. The satellite on the roof is a wineguard. Appreciate any help..thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is Direct Genie Directv?

The cheapest solution would be to take your current satellite receiver and learn how to aim a manual satellite antenna yourself. I'm sure you can get a used satellite dish pretty cheap. If you go far from your home you won't get local channels.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne, even though we use Direct TV I don't know anything about the Genie.

You may need to get the model number of the Winegard dish on top to find out if it's DTV compatible. How about asking the previous owner which satellite service they used?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
paz

The Genie will only record Direct satellite broadcasts, not park cable or over-the air broadcasts.

Your crank-up roof-top dish is probably 18" and will not be capable of receiving HD from Direct. I don't know if you can downgrade your service with the Genie to receive SD or not. Be aware that Direct SD will probably be going away altogether in a few years anyway. To receive HD, you will need a SWM-3 Slimline dish, either automatic rooftop (around $1500 plus installation) or a manually-aimed tripod dish (dishes can sometimes be obtained free from a Direct installer or for $75-$150 online) plus a tripod to mount the dish on (prices vary from $50 on up, but be sure to get one that has a 2" mast to fit the SWM-3 dish, not the 1 5/8" mast that is used the 18" dishes.

As okcnewbie says, you won't be able to get locals if you go more than 150 or 200 miles from home. However, if you're going to be on the road full-time, you can re-register your account to your RV instead of to your house and then apply for distant network service (DNS). The form for DNS is a sticky at the top of the Technology Forum. For an extra $12 a month you will be able to get network stations from either New Your or LA depending on your service address.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The Genie will only record Direct satellite broadcasts, not park cable or over-the air broadcasts.

Your crank-up roof-top dish is probably 18" and will not be capable of receiving HD from Direct. I don't know if you can downgrade your service with the Genie to receive SD or not. Be aware that Direct SD will probably be going away altogether in a few years anyway. To receive HD, you will need a SWM-3 Slimline dish, either automatic rooftop (around $1500 plus installation) or a manually-aimed tripod dish (dishes can sometimes be obtained free from a Direct installer or for $75-$150 online) plus a tripod to mount the dish on (prices vary from $50 on up, but be sure to get one that has a 2" mast to fit the SWM-3 dish, not the 1 5/8" mast that is used the 18" dishes.

As okcnewbie says, you won't be able to get locals if you go more than 150 or 200 miles from home. However, if you're going to be on the road full-time, you can re-register your account to your RV instead of to your house and then apply for distant network service (DNS). The form for DNS is a sticky at the top of the Technology Forum. For an extra $12 a month you will be able to get network stations from either New Your or LA depending on your service address.
No problem viewing SD on an HD receiver!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Is Direct Genie Directv?

The cheapest solution would be to take your current satellite receiver and learn how to aim a manual satellite antenna yourself. I'm sure you can get a used satellite dish pretty cheap. If you go far from your home you won't get local channels.
X2 With the Genie you will need a SWM antenna or a SWM compatible antenna. Your crank up antenna is neither. Craigslist usually has some antennas that will work pretty cheap. I bought one for $20.00 and got another for free from another person. The most important part about aiming the antenna is to have the tripod level, so I would recommend getting a tripod that has a built in level. I actually have a tripod made for Dish, but adapted it to work with Direct.

With some practice, I could get a signal on the tv in 10 to 15 minutes, sometimes less.

Tags
satellite, satellite tv