RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Save grey water to flush toilet?

I'm in middle if finally getting to my remodel of my beastie.

Looking at small washer/dryer options. What came to mind is has anyone figured out or tried to come up with a way to add a pump on the grey water tank (with a switch in bathroom just like freshwater pump) that can use maybe the top 2/3rds of the tank to flush the toilet?

I see a challenges like shunting or switching flush water. Like how to keep flush water holes in toilet unclogged? a few things like that...

Just seems a real waste of clean water to flush with. I'm sure there is a reason it's not done or that this is a new idea... but......??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #2

Well, do you want to use dirty sink water for your bidet?

Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you googled? Try 'RV grey water reuse'. Commercial and DIY solutions.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Grey water to flush toilet

I would think that because your "grey" water is a collection of bathroom sink water, shower water, clothes washer water, kitchen sink water, and in some cases automatic dish washer water....that you would want some type of course filter in line to catch lint and food particles. Without this type of filter you will likely have toilet or water pump issues. I personally don't see an advantage unless you're a serious BOONDOCKER....and even then it may not be worth the cost and aggravation.
If you do try it .... Let us know how it works for you 🤔
Old 03-23-2019, 07:06 AM   #5

Before I use the toilet for 2 I want more water in the bowl than normal. I will dump the dish pan for that...
My Dad had me put a extra drain in the grey tank so he could drain the top 1/4. Could bucket that to toilet, if carrying water was not below your dignity...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #6

If you are remodeling you should consider a separate tank for the washer.Then it would only have soapy water with a little lint, not food particles .
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Grey water in itself does turn septic, it smells. It will contain solids and soap residue which will play havoc on your toilet valve and water inlet. It also has bacteria. This would be a last ditch solution to try and conserve water and or redistribute grey to black tank.

When we boon dock we conserve water as much as possible. We go to extremes to conserve water.
  1. When we get ready to take a shower we catch the cold water in a pot and use it for cooking or coffee. We also take navy shower, wet down and shut off water, soap up, then rinse off.
  2. When we do dishes we catch the water in a plastic tub and will either dump it down the toilet or if in an acceptable area dump it outside.
  3. We keep a spray bottle, that has a strong narrow stream, next to the toilet. Instead of completely filling the toilet and or continual flushing when doing a #2 we use the spray bottle to clean the toilet. We usually put some pinesol or other deodorizer in the bottle to help clean and provide odor control.
  4. If we have a guest we enforce the above, it's our house, they play by our rules.
Works for us.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider a composting toilet, gray water can smell quite bad at times.
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

Boondockers typically save their dish water and catch the running shower water while the hot comes in. Then they use it for flushing thereby saving their fresh water in the tank. They save it in either a bucket or pour it into a jug.

If you're in RV parks with hookups there's no need to do this.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #10

I don't boondock much but if I did I would install a separate pump fed as suggested from part way up the grey tank. They make & sell diaphram pumps that do not clog like a std fresh water pump.... they are used frequently on boats to pump sink & shower water overboard. I would plumb it to a 2nd spray head to add water & flush with without the need to make a fresh / grey water connection at the toilet that can / will be a source of contamination of fresh water.
Side benefit is that this can be used to transfer grey to black tank if/when desired.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
Well, do you want to use dirty sink water for your bidet?
for that unique "road funk not so fresh feeling?" 😛
Old 03-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Have you googled? Try 'RV grey water reuse'. Commercial and DIY solutions.
actually no... thanks. i get used to seeing anything here so i get a tad lazy and spoiled.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEH View Post
I would think that because your "grey" water is a collection of bathroom sink water, shower water, clothes washer water, kitchen sink water, and in some cases automatic dish washer water....that you would want some type of course filter in line to catch lint and food particles. Without this type of filter you will likely have toilet or water pump issues. I personally don't see an advantage unless you're a serious BOONDOCKER....and even then it may not be worth the cost and aggravation.
If you do try it .... Let us know how it works for you 🤔
agreed. i mentioned, or thought about mentioning, the clogging issue. i figure thats for the folks smarter than mr to teach me.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Before I use the toilet for 2 I want more water in the bowl than normal. I will dump the dish pan for that...
My Dad had me put a extra drain in the grey tank so he could drain the top 1/4. Could bucket that to toilet, if carrying water was not below your dignity...
nice solution. i really think its an interesting idea. otherwise that water just goes to "waste"... ouch, nasty pun there... oops

Tags
toilet, water